Parents - Making sure your kids grow up healthy

Options
As a parent that is now taking action to be healthy what are you doing to make sure your children grow up to lead a healthy lifestyle?

I don't keep bad food in the house and rarely give my children junk food, but I want to make sure they don't grow up having food issues like me.
I allow them to get up from dinner when they say they are done and I don't make them eat if they aren't hungry.
I also don't use food as a reward which is something I used to do for myself before coming to this website.
I also try to get outside when the weather is nice to keep them moving.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    One suggestion: when your son (or daughter) hits age 13 and pigs out on pizza and burgers and drinks seven sodas a day, don't blame yourself.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Balance between healthy and junk food.
    Usually "eat what we eat or don't eat at all" but I keep a somewhat healthy alternative on hand for days when we have weird adult food.
    No soda or juice.
    That's pretty much all. I used to have principles but now I have kids. :D
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you! One of the best is to lead by example :) Kids do love to mimic their parents even if they don't always admit it...
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My two year old is a great motivator to take my daily walk/run. He is forever pointing to the door yelling "shoes!!! Outside!!! OUTSIDE!!!!!"
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    As a parent that is now taking action to be healthy what are you doing to make sure your children grow up to lead a healthy lifestyle?

I don't keep bad food in the house and rarely give my children junk food, but I want to make sure they don't grow up having food issues like me.
    I allow them to get up from dinner when they say they are done and I don't make them eat if they aren't hungry.
    I also don't use food as a reward which is something I used to do for myself before coming to this website.
    I also try to get outside when the weather is nice to keep them moving.

Any other suggestions?

I think you are doing some good things! I like to involve my kids in cooking the meals - they seem more excited about tyring things when they've had a hand in making it :smile:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm going to restrict carbs.

No, no I'm not.

As a new dad, I've been putting a lot of thought into this. My goals are going to be as follows for my son:

He will eat "mostly" whole and nutritious foods. He will also eat "some" junk food in addition to his nutritious foods. I do not plan on eliminating any food items from his diet aside from any allergies and things he definitely doesn't like.

He will have to try new foods once or twice.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My parents are both doctors, so I grew up in a house where the most unhealthy thing was brie (cheese that gives you high cholesterol -- according to my dad). Growing up I always wanted fast food so bad, and my aupair drove me to get some maybe twice or three times a year. Anyway, at age 13, I was allowed to hang out in town without supervision and I was given an allowance. I was allowed to spend my money wherever I wanted. But thankfully, by this age, I was conscious of my weight and health, so I didn't want to buy fast food.

I think the key is to explain to your kids why they don't get to eat junk like all the other kids. Just remember they will be exposed to it no matter what you do. Tell them the truth, that unhealthy food lives to unhealthy bodies and unhealthy living.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My kids are picking up my good habits. My 3 1/2 year old son now wants to take walks with me, and my ten year old daughter did her first Monster Mile race on Sunday as i did a 10K:)

They are learning from me, that if you work out and watch what you eat you will be healthy and have a overall better life! We don't eat perfect, but we are teaching them that moderation is the key.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    The one word missing from this tread is MODERATION! This way my children get a little junk, some sweets and plenty of healthy food. Also, as mentioned, get them involved in the prep and/or cooking.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've always limited their pop intake. I remember growing up drinking as many cans of pop as I wanted, and look how I turned out! lol It absolutely drives me crazy when I see small children running around with pop in their bottles and sippy cups!! Seriously!? Ugh! Anyway, my kids only get to have a pop whenever we stop at a fast food place, but even some of the times, they decide they'd rather have water or milk instead. Moral of the story, make good choices for them to begin with, and they'll make good choices on their own when they get older. = )