What is P90X?

Options
If i said it right :/

I've heard a lot about it and would just like to know a few details.. what is it.. how does it work.. does it work.. and have you had results.. that sort of general thing.

Thanks guys!

Oh and feel free to add me :) could always do with more people to keep motivated!

Replies

• kettch00
    Options
    Its pure hell in human form. Tony Horton is 52 years old and still puts my 26 y/o Marine *kitten* to shame. Its plyometrics, which means alot of calestenics and circuit training. For advance to moderate fitness gurus who are looking to shred some extra BF %. Dont let it discourage you but its pretty rough. I still do the P90X ab ripper challenge 3 times a week. Its good work out video. Google it. Research it, its apart of the beachbody work out formula.

And yes it works very well. When i did it full time I shred 16 lbs in a month but alot of it was muscle weight. I felt like throwing uop each time.
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    P90X is a full-body workout program (with videos), and incorporates weights, cardio, yoga, and plyometrics that cycle over a 3 month period. I've done it the last 2 winters since it gets so snowy here, but I find I have the best results when I incorporate the weights and the yoga into my own cardio program, since I think the P90X cardio is too easy. It's a good way to start out with a full-on workout schedule, though. Some of the workouts require dumbells or elastic bands, and a pullup bar.

I also don't follow their nutrition plan, as I tend to gain weight on it, and I don't burn nearly as many calories per workout as they said I would (~100 for the weight days, 200 for plyos), but I've had to experiment with that on my own. Anyway, I'd recommend it, especially in winter, or as a way to incorporate more strength training into a more cardio-centric workout routine.
  • kellyss20
    kellyss20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's a 90 day home workout / DVD program designed by Tony Horton for Beachbody.com. Check out Beachbody.com's website. YOu can find a ton of info there on what the workouts are like. The workouts are 6 days per week and you do a different workout every day of the week. (example: Chest/back, Legs/back, Shoulders/Arms, Plyo, Yoga, Kenpo)

It really does work. It's just like anything else, if you expect results, you need to stick with it.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    um google is your friend :-D
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you are looking for something that will REALLY get your heart-rate up with some super kick-@$$ cardio, check out the Insanity program, also through Beachbody. I love to cycle these workouts into my routine about 1-2x per week. They will make you sweat, and none of them are longer than 45 minutes (I burn ~300 cals on the long ones). You don't need any equipment either, and can do it all in your living room.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    I just finished it last week and it is AWESOME. You will hate but you will love it, if you look at my photo that is my results and I am starting round 2 on the 14th, Not for the weak minded though, Im not implying anything by that comment just make sure you are ready for it, I would hate to see anybody waste their money on it and not do it, and plenty have
  • kettch00
    Options
    I plan on starting P90x up pretty soon. I have been looking to get back into it for awhile, I tried the whole lifting heavy thing but ended up being bad for my joints. I need something else to incoporate into my running(I run about 20-25 miles a week)
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    P90X is more than just a workout program, it is a lifestyle, and yes it work very very well. You have to do more than just work out, you have to eat right as well. I am not to big on their nutrion plan, and did my own (with help from others, namely my sister who is a trainer) and got fantastic results. I add about 600 calories a day to my diet when doing P90X because I burn so many calories, especially on weight lifting days. P90X wants you to eat, so if you do it hard core, you are going to need to eat a lot. I go after it really hard with the weights and up the weights so I stay at about 8-10 reps. I am on my last week and have lost 22lbs over the course of the workout and have dropped to 10% body fat (I am 5'-11" 164lbs right now). I also have a flat stomach with a six pack now! The program is very hard in the begining, however if you can stick with it, press play, and get in a routine, it will be the best lifestyle change you have ever had.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    great program, if you have the time to commit to it. (about 60 min most days) - I have done it a nu8mber of times, and have excellent results every time.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    P90X is more than just a workout program, it is a lifestyle, and yes it work very very well. You have to do more than just work out, you have to eat right as well. I am not to big on their nutrion plan, and did my own (with help from others, namely my sister who is a trainer) and got fantastic results. I add about 600 calories a day to my diet when doing P90X because I burn so many calories, especially on weight lifting days. P90X wants you to eat, so if you do it hard core, you are going to need to eat a lot. I go after it really hard with the weights and up the weights so I stay at about 8-10 reps. I am on my last week and have lost 22lbs over the course of the workout and have dropped to 10% body fat (I am 5'-11" 164lbs right now). I also have a flat stomach with a six pack now! The program is very hard in the begining, however if you can stick with it, press play, and get in a routine, it will be the best lifestyle change you have ever had.

I AGREE TOTALLY ON THE EATING PART, I was scared to eat like taht at first but you have to EAT EAT AND EAT
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds with the BeachBody programs P90X and TurboFire. P90X is intense and includes a good amount of resistance workout. TurboFire is marketed more towards women and has a lot of cardio with some resistance workouts. If you like weights, go with P90X. If you like cardio, aerobics, etc, go with TurboFire.
  • MobileRanger
    Options

I AGREE TOTALLY ON THE EATING PART, I was scared to eat like taht at first but you have to EAT EAT AND EAT

Yeah, what a lot of people fail to realise is that when you lift weights and give 100% you burn calories the whole day and night, because your body is repairing all the muscle tissue you just tore apart, so you need the extra food (protien mostly) to rebuild yourself, unlike cardio where you only burn calories while you are "in the zone".
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options

I didnt know that until I started P90X

Yeah, what a lot of people fail to realise is that when you lift weights and give 100% you burn calories the whole day and night, because your body is repairing all the muscle tissue you just tore apart, so you need the extra food (protien mostly) to rebuild yourself, unlike cardio where you only burn calories while you are "in the zone".