Sabatoge my Success

Options
I have been struggling with my eating lately and I am trying to figure out why this is. I think I may have figured some of it out and am looking for others who are going through the same issues and how to get through it. So here it goes.

I have been a "BIGGER" girl most of my life. I joked about it with my friends and that was how we (or I) just dealt with being overweight. Now that I have lost a lot of weight and actually look fairly good, I am noticing my friends and others around me to act diffently or don't want to be around me as much, etc. So here I am finding myself eating or what I call now sabatoging my success to make myself feel like I fit in again. What is wrong with that picture. I should be proud of my accomplishments and how far I have come but I am struggling with the fact that others around me don't feel the same way and I want to go back to having my friends like they were. I know I have changed because I have more confidence, dress differently and wear make up but why is that wrong. The other thing is people feeling bad about eating around me. It does not bother me that they have donut as that is their choice not mine.

So how do you feel and what have you done to get yourself through this part of your weight loss experience.

Replies

• worldgirl28
    Options
    My friends and I have the same problem. Many of my friends like to joke that "God made them bigger" or "We love being big girls!". Now that I'm exercising, eating right and making time for myself instead of binge eating, they seem to be pulling away from me. Shopping trips are getting cancelled, lunches forgotten because they don't want to be around me. One of my friends called me and finally admitted that being with me felt like a slap in the face to them. I told her that I couldn't let their life choices be my own and that I was going to continue on my journey to health. It's a tough choice but you have to decide if you're going to be in it for you or for someone else. You can do it!
  • ameriah3000
    Options
    My story is a little different. I actually eat to keep people, especially men, away. Eating out of emotions/insecurity is something that is very hard to break.

Give your friends some time. You are setting a good example for them and causing them to convict themselves for not doing what they need to for their health. Give them some time and don't shy away. Stay strong and they will come around.
  • monicabri
    Options
    Love YOU. You did this for you so keep doing it. You can't always make everyone happy and people don't like you for who you are, then they are not your true friends. Sure, it feels good to be accepted but it's even better to be different! What fun would this world be if we were all the same? Surround yourself with people who will be supportive of you and if you can't find anyone like that, support yourself. Keep up the good work and don't let all your hard work become null and void. Hugs.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! :noway: I have to admit, I'm totally shocked. I think that if one of my friends (I'm using that term very loosly) said that being
    around me was like a slap in the face to them I would know that they were never my friend in the first place. Perhaps I had just been an enabler to them. Someone who would support their bad habits (including poor food choices). That is just WRONG!!!!

Honestly..you don't need friends like that. You need friends who support you no matter what shape you are, what you eat, what you wear, how you travel (walking, running). I'm really sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine how much that must hurt. But..do not let that take you from your current path to health and wellness! You are doing really well..new friends right around the corner.

Good luck to you all! This is journey we all need to be on, and we all need support. if you arent' getting it from one source, walk
    away. Find a new source of support, new like minded friends.

:flowerforyou:
    Sally
  • BrendonP25
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with what you are doing. You feel better about yourself so you are bound to dress and act more confident. It sounds like your friends are jealous of your success and aren't dealing with it like mature adults, but instead are acting contemptuous towards you. They should be happy for you and if they aren't happy with themselves, they should do something about it. These sound like old, valued friends so it's probably worth it to sit down and tell them how you feel and that it's not fair the way they are treating you. Maybe even try to include them in some of the activities you are doing to get fit. If they don't respond to this and continue acting the way they are, I hate to say it, but maybe it's time for some new friends? Don't for any reason sacrifice what you want out of life just to fit in. Best of luck!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone through the SAME thing. First of all, talking about it, I feel, helps tremendously!!!!! I, just by nature, tend to hold things in, especially emotions. During my journey, my husband has been my motivater, he "watches" when I'm "cheating" and says," ok Mar, now that's it" lol But just the other night, I cried to him, finally, saying "why when I start to lose a few, I eat them right back?" He asked me what am I afraid of? I have ALWAYS been overweight, since puberty. But now, since I started losing in June of 2010 I have lost 44 pounds! I'm only 35 away from goal, and I know deep down I can get there! THAT'S what scares me! Once I get there, who will I be? Will I still be me, just less of me? Might sound stupid, but I'm still trying to really figure out what is scaring me. I have never wanted anything more than I want this right now. To reach my goal. I have a co-worker, who is really starting to creep me out with her observations, this girl literally "picks" me apart. Now, I know it's jealousy, she had a baby 5 months ago and she is pretty overweight. She was trying to lose but gave up. But, she picks out my every flaw. I'm trying to break away from this girl and her negativity. I'm trying to build relationships, friendships with other co-workers who can offer positive feedback, I'm so tired of the negative. I think I "binge" eat here at work to keep up with this girl. So, I figured out my problem, now just trying to fix it. So my advice to you is to find a different group of friends. Try not to feel bad about it, think of it as one more plus to your journey and what you have accomplished so far. :)
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I don't really know why people act different ..sometimes I wonder if we just notice things we didnt before because we were going with the flow in a barely there mentally state..now were pushing to go a different route and we are conscious of everything we do hear and take in. I think finding like minded people helps ..but you can't always just find new people..if its your mate or close family....For instance, I do really well ..then I feel like im being a pain in others sides and I fall off ...My husband once told a random store clerk that he cant sleep when I lose weight...I think he was just trying to say he loves me just as I am and make a joke to lighten my rigid eating .. he was also telling me to buy some chocolate .... because I earned a treat ??? I said why cancel out that hard work with a treat of that kind...(the clerk then said hes the first man i've heard in here telling his woman to buy chocolate most are telling them they don't need it)... I really want to lose weight but yet I feel like im doing something wrong when I do and I go ahead and start going to Dairy Queen or other grease factories.. with him and the kids again..I dont even like take out food at all...but I'll eat with them to keep everyone happy ...which is no good cause my kids could lose a little weight too ..one takes after dad and can eat all she wants ..she has a little belly but shes not fat ...the other takes after me and I can see that she is going to struggle with all the same issues I have clothes and activity wise...SO I guess if you ca find some reasoning to self sabotaging I would love you to bring me in the loop :) Maybe holding out will work like reverse psychology..stop seeking them and let them seek you again ??? I keep telling my husband that we can't be close right now because I am finally at my breaking point with myself and my weak behavior..I dont like my body right now so I won't let him in ....His only response was well hun do you want me to bring your bike down to the living room ..and he asked me to go for a walk yesterday ;)
  • ltaylor9597
    Options
    Hello. I came here, read the posts and then left. I had to come back though and reply. A very dear friend of mine started his own journey about a year ago. He had dealt with years of stuffing his feelings and finally had an "ah ha" moment and went to an OA meeting. From that moment on he made drastic changes to his eating and his relationship with food. As he progressed on his journey his weight just melted off. Today he looks AMAZING. He is healthy and finally happy. As much as I am happy for him it can be extremely uncomfortable to be around him sometimes. It is all due to my own issues. Several years ago I had managed to whittle off nearly 50 pounds. I looked fabulous. Then, my life started to crumble apart due to an unsteady marriage, the sudden death of my father in law and my sister being diagnosed with breast cancer. I medicated through food and removed myself from my list of priorities. All the weight came back on. Watching his success and the fact that he was no longer hiding from his feelings and was making himself a priority was a brutal reminder to me as to how far gone I had let myself go. How little effort I put into my health. A reminder that I once had that and due to my own actions I went back to something I vowed I would never go back to. I have been known to drag my feet when it comes to having him over and going on outings with him.

The thing is. I have been friends with this guy for gosh...probably 20 years at this point. He is very close friends with my husband. He was our best man in our wedding. He has been around for all of our kids. He rented an apartment under ours for years. He is probably the one person I feel I can talk to and know without a doubt that it does not go any further. So, ultimately, I am thrilled for him. As hard as it is for me to process it and face how I have let myself down. I know it is something I have to work through.

I just wanted to chime in and voice how it feels to be on the other side. Maybe it will help a little. Just keep pressing on. Our friend is always around. Stops by sporadically. Your friends are probably just dealing with facing their own insecurities. Maybe they have tried to lose weight and have been unsuccessful. I am sure it isn't easy to be on your end either. Here you have had all this success and it feels as though they are abandoning you now. Maybe it might be time to expand your circle of friends a bit as well and ensure you have connections with people that share your same priorities as far as health, fitness and food?

Anyhow, hang in there. It is a difficult situation on both sides.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been there. I remember one very uncomfortable "girls lunch" in particular. When the waiter came to me to take my order, the entire table of 14 went quiet....trying to hear what I was having for lunch. I ordered a "normal" lunch of a turkey breast sandwich and chips. When I only ate 1/2 of the sandwich and none of the chips, I got loudly criticized by my friend Susan. With the entire table listening, she said I was making them all feel uncomfortable. I actually went home in tears and started thinking crazy thoughts, like maybe I shouldn't lose the weight, because I'll lose my friends.
    Then I got a clue and realized they weren't my true friends if they don't want me to be healthy.

In telling this story to a tiny (112 lbs) and beautiful 60 year old, she told me her trick: she just smiles very broadly and says NOTHING. Literally nothing. And keeps on smiling. Try it. It works for me!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have found that the people who don't want to be around me much anymore are actually afraid to eat in front of me. Some because they don't want to "tempt" me, others because they feel guilty about how they are choosing to eat. I don't have many close friends but a lot of work associates so it doesn't bother me so much. I think you need to tell your friends that you are still you and you have no judgements. Make sure that you are not lecturing or making a production about the loss. Just act how you have always been. You are still you. There is just a little bit less of you. Maybe over time, one of them will want to start the process and you will be a great mentor and guide. Until then, let the issues that belong to them belong to them. Don't cave to keep friends. They aren't that great anyway if they would rather you destroy your hard work to make them feel better.
  • goelvira
    goelvira Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as well unfortunately, I have lost a lot a weight in the past and my "friends" at the time started to complain to me about how they're so sick of hearing me talk of nutrition and everyone commenting to me about how great i look. They told me that if I was going to be around them, that I can't talk about my workouts or anything regarding my weight loss! I couldn't believe it, these were the same women that were always with me through thick and thin throughout my years of struggles with life issues and here they were judging me on my getting healthier and feeling better about myself! As painful as it was, I opted to stay away from them and continue with my journey of being healthy. Stay strong and don't let anyone make you feel as if you're doing something wrong with improving your health!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A very good friend of mine told me I was gaunt - no nice comment - just gaunt! I was feeling proud of my achievements so it really hurt! I have other friends and family who promise me that if I was gaunt that they would tell me. I made light of it and promptly ate 2 mini chocolate muffins. Others have told me it's a jealousy thing - not that my friend is big - she's always been smaller than me but not anymore! She claims to not have the willpower to be a slave to a diet (her words!)
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all your inspirational stories. I am so l glad that I am not alone in this journey and have others who do feel the same way I do and I don't want to change my life style. I also am very happy to hear from the other side of this and how they see people who have done this. I appreciate everyones insights. Thanks and with my new friends here I will make it through this time and will push through these last few pounds.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hiya. People do this with any kind of substance abuse...and yes I do include over-eating, bad eating and binge eating as substance abuse.

Almost all people with any kind of vice - eating/smoking/drinking/spending/*insert vice here* - will try to 'normalise' it.

We will surround ourselves with people of similar vices, either that or recruit...'go on, have one slice/puff/drink/whatever'. We do this because we know what we are doing is not right, but if everyone else is doing it, it becomes 'normal', socially acceptable, even.

When we change it is akin to holding up a mirror to our own, and consequently other peoples, behaviour. Not only are you bringing to the fore their own maladaptive behaviour, but you are also showing them that it doesn't have to be that way at all and that you, and they, can change. If they aren't ready or simply in denial (big is beautiful and all that, well yes maybe, but it's also bloody unhealthy) they will turn away from you. That is not your problem, that is theirs - entirely.

I have had a whole arsenal of vices in the past and I have lost people with every one that I've tackled. The up-side to that is it's allowed other people into my life. People who are, again, more similar to myself now. Ideally it would be lovely for them to carry on being your friends and either watch from the sidelines or, even better, join in with you. But that may not be the case and I do know it hurts. But don't let that derail you. Identify yourself as the wonderful, lovely, brave person you are - do not identify yourself through the people you hang out with.

Stand proud, hold on to your values and if people (sadly) fall by the wayside they are just making room for the new.

Good luck...and get back on track. You want it, you deserve it. Go get it.
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. It is nice to hear from someone on the other side of this story. You have made me see a different look also. Again thanks
  • Leola2011
    Options
    I really don't understand the whole notion of losing friends as a result of losing weight. It seems to me that friends (in the truest sense of the word) would love you too much to want to see you unhealthy. I've lost relationships when certain things in my life changed and improved. All that told me was that the relationship was temporary all along, perhaps even disposable. Fitting in with a group of people who struggle to celebrate my successes and personal battles won is not my idea of a good life.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I lost my best friend to what you are describing. It was devastating at first, realizing she didn't like the thinner more confident me. I should have seen the warning signs like you did, her not wanting to eat around me, not coming to see me as often, but I was high on success and didn't notice. WHAM, I get a message from her on facebook of all places about how I've changed for the worse.

Verdict is, she didn't want me to change period. I was a safe person she could indulge with and when that went away she felt threatened. It's been about 9 months now and I'm only now coming to terms with it.

I'm better off now, I think. While it was painful at first, my health is important and anyone who can't support me in that is a destructive "friend". Keep doing what you know is right and everything will fall into place... even if that means losing some people along the way.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost enough weight yet to mystify my friends, but in my opinion, your friends who behave this way are insecure. Let them know that you think they are beautiful, and that you know you are and were. Let them know this is about your health, not merely a judgement of appearance. (Even if you are and were in excellent health, the effects of poor eating habits are cumulative.)
    My big fear for myself is diabetes. I don't have it now, but last year when my toes went numb, I freaked out! I was so afraid I'd lose a foot! It turned out that I had broken my toes, probably at the water park. Thank God it was only that! As uncomfortable as taped toes are, it was a relief because that was temporary.
    Good luck! I hope your friends learn to value you the way you do them!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    That's horrible..maybe its time to find new friends?

I'm noticed that one of my best friends (who struggles with her weight) doesn't seem to 'want to hear' any of my success stories, but that's OK. I know we'll be alright, and I can always come here to post an NSV or something like that and vent out that excitement. I know she really is happy for me, but at the same time, she's comparing her own lack of success and I'm sure it bums her out. I've been the person on the other side of this equation in the past and I know how it can feel depressing to see someone having great success in an area where you are failing. Its likely that they really are happy for you, but its just too hard for them to express that without facing their own issues.

One thing you might want to consider (if these really are good friends you want to keep) is to just be mindful of what you talk about around them. Don't overplay the "I need to buy new clothes because everything is too big", or tell them stories about compliments you've gotten. On the other hand...you should celebrate and be proud of what you've done...so don't let them suck you back into old habits either. You've worked too hard to backslide because of your friends insecurities!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    technical difficulties...double post!