Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners - who is actually prepare

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
Im not talking about people who are in the midst of planning... Nor the people who are worrying about what they are going to do...

Im hoping to find out if there are MFP'ers among us who dont worry because they are or already have preplanned their meals ahead of time and plan on staying on program?

I plan on staying focused with a menu already planned out for both holidays without feeling like Im missing out on anything... and I wont let food be the enemy in my mind...

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    not worried...and not staying on "program"
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    im not worried, mainly because i know one day a month of indulging a little isnt going to kill me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I plan on destroying everything in my path without any regard for calories, macros, or the tracking of them. I also plan on not having any post-thanksgiving guilt.

Now all that being said, the ability to do so depends greatly on the individuals relationship with food, and ability to get back on track afterwards.

For those that can deliberately stuff their face with complete recklessness BUT resume the next day like nothing happened, I think this is the way to go.

Obviously for those people who would crash and burn afterwards, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried. But that it isn't because I decided to eat healthy or anything. It's just two nights out of the year and I'm not going to deprive myself of all the yummy holiday foods. My lifestyle change doesn't mean I have to restrict myself all the time from everything I love.
  • revnica
    Options
    im not worried, mainly because i know one day a month of indulging a little isnt going to kill me.
    what she said!!!!
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yeah cheat day. if you cant get any joy out of eating at some point - life sucks. I'm not gonna sacrifice two family filled and delish food days for the sake of a diet that i pretty much follow for the rest of the year.That being said i will be taking a 5 mile run - but i fully plan on eating like a pig. There i said it.
  • caitindabx
    Options
    Being that I am on the low carb bandwagon the holidays are going to be a big challenge for me. We'll see how it goes but for right now I'm planning on sticking to my diet and either preparing my own foods separately or just eating what I can from what's offered.... The booze is gonna be the hardest thing to resist... it's really the only way to get through being around family that long...:tongue:
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I plan on destroying everything in my path without any regard for calories, macros, or the tracking of them. I also plan on not having any post-thanksgiving guilt.

Now all that being said, the ability to do so depends greatly on the individuals relationship with food, and ability to get back on track afterwards.

For those that can deliberately stuff their face with complete recklessness BUT resume the next day like nothing happened, I think this is the way to go.

Obviously for those people who would crash and burn afterwards, I wouldn't recommend it.

This is how I feel. I'm alive, my family is happy & healthy so I will celebrate any way I want!! I WILL get up the next morning (either holiday) and start over.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

I'm living in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, nor Christmas. Wasn't bothered by the Thanksgiving, but this will be my fourth Christmas away from home. I think we'll have a dinner with some colleagues, and I'll eat whatever and go back to 'normal' the next day.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I so wish I could witness this.

Also, this is my plan, too. I'm also running a 5k on Thanksgiving day so I'll have extra room, but I will be eating whatever crosses my path and I will feel no guilt.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's a cheat day to me. Besides, I have a 5K that morning so I'm not too concerned about eating a little more than usual ;)
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Being that I am on the low carb bandwagon the holidays are going to be a big challenge for me. We'll see how it goes but for right now I'm planning on sticking to my diet and either preparing my own foods separately or just eating what I can from what's offered.... The booze is gonna be the hardest thing to resist... it's really the only way to get through being around family that long...:tongue:

I totally agree....drinking is the ONLY way to deal with my family for an extended amount of time.....I haven't had alcohol since July. I might have to break my deal to make it through the holidays though! YIKES!
  • darsh11
    Options
    I am lucky because I am hosting Thanksgiving this year at my house so noone is going to complain, but what they will not realize is that all dishes will be made the healthy way.

Skinny Mashed potatoes made with chicken broth, and skim milk and just 2 tablespoons of butter
    Green Beans and Almonds instead of Green Bean Casserole

Baked Sweet Potatoes

and a Pear, Walnut, Feta salad with homemade dressing made out of FF Greek Yogurt.

I am sneaky, but most of my family eats whatever is placed in front of them anyway.

Christmas- we decided a couple of years ago for it to be a surf and turf dinner instead of another feast. So I will be having Salmon and shrimp on the grill with some healthy sides.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday... but most of what I love about Thanksgiving is the people and atmosphere... not the food... and my favorite foods are pretty healthy anyway (such as turkey)... so I plan to have what I want within reason.... so if it is higher calorie I will have a smaller serving. I am not going to pig out just to be eating... that's how I got so overweight to start with. But if I really want it I will have some of it. Then I will go home, track the food and figure out how many calories I have left for dinner and if not enough I will plan my next morning shopping while running on the treadmill so that I enjoy, indulge, AND make healthy choices for my body.

For Christmas, we get together for family dinners but in smaller groups and to me it is a more stressful holiday as it has all the gift stress, worse weather stress, etc.... plus we change up the menu every year and nothing "traditional" about those meals so Christmas I don't think will be an issue for me in the least.

I'm ready!!!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Good for you for staying focused and on track. I, on the other hand, intend to eat like the world is ending and could care less about doing it.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just use some common sense to eat in a way that won't leave me sick, anxious, or blow my progress. I've been using the same game plan over 4 years and it seems to work out.

Most of my holiday overeating comes from that "You only have this once a year, eat it now or never!" feeling, so I just put some aside for later. :)
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I'm prepared to eat myself into a food coma on Thanksgiving :glasses: it's one day, its been one day for my whole life, and will be one day the rest of my life. If I gain water weight, I gain water weight, it won't kill me.
  • sparrow747
    Options
    Enjoy these holidays! Instead of gorging or having HUGE platefuls of food, I typically stick to one plate and take a spoonful or two of everything I like. Sure I may go over cals a bit, but it's better than having to be rolled away from the table. Enjoy it - this is your life!!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

I'm living in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, nor Christmas. Wasn't bothered by the Thanksgiving, but this will be my fourth Christmas away from home. I think we'll have a dinner with some colleagues, and I'll eat whatever and go back to 'normal' the next day.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Well...this is how its going to go at my place..haha..

20lb+ Turkey
    10-15lb Ham
    Home Made Mashed Potatoes
    Home Made Gravy
    Cranberry sauce
    Baked Sweet Potatoes
    Green Bean Casserole
    Flaky Rolls
    Home Made Pumpkin Cheesecake (my daughter and I always make like 8 pies, cause they all destroy it here...)
    Apple Pie

And if by chance there is any Turkey or Ham leftovers..(I'm sure there will be..haha..) in goes to the freezer for breakfast casseroles, split pea soup (my fave), turkey sandwiches, ham sandwiches, and anything else that suits my fancy!! ;-)

Enjoying the day..24hours of it, baby!!!.not the whole freakin' aftermath that follows..haha...