Stopped smoking. Started eating - help!

Options
Does anyone have any tips? If I don't treat myself to a snack I start thinking about cigarettes instead....

Replies

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am no help because when I stopped smoking on January 2nd, I ended up gaining 20 pounds between then and early June. Since June I have been trying to lose those 20 pounds plus another 20, and it is SLOW GOING.

The best advice I can give you is sugar-free gum, chewing on coffee stirrers, that sort of thing to keep your hands and mouth busy. YOU CAN DO IT! It's been almost a year since I quit smoking, and I smoked for 30 years. Congrats!!!
  • wendorfa
    Options
    What about sunflower seeds? I find they take a LOT of work for very low calories. I am addicted to the David BBQ ones!
  • frozenfingers
    Options
    Baby carrots...and more baby carrots. I grabbed one whenever I got the urge and even if I just put the thing between my fingers it seemed to help..
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    well i have never smoked but yay for quitting =]

now this may not apply to you but at uni (i study nursing) we get told that smoking can become a coping mechanism
    im stressed ill smoke
    im bored ill smoke
    i dont like what situation ill smoke

if you take that coping mechanism away it becomes really hard to cope with those things that stress you out thats why lots of people start smoking again
    the best way to quite smoking is to develop another coping mechanism
    this can be things like exercise, reading, soemthing fun that you enjoy and can quite easily do

i dont know if this will apply to you or help but i know when i took my coping mechanism away i went crazy till i found soemthing else to occupy my time and focus my energy onto =]

hope this helps and good luck =D