Goal Weight vs Clothing size/measurements?

Options
Hi all, just wanted to ask for opinions.

My goal weight is 130 lbs and I've never considered this to be a big deal until I spoke to a family member the other day who said that my goal could maybe be certain measurements or a clothing size. My family member weighs 142lbs but she does not look it as she wears a UK 8-10. She said that with exercise your body can end up smaller and tighter so the scales shouldnt always be the ultimate goal. Has anyone else experienced this? Or did anyone else stop before their target weight because they were happy with the size they had got to?

Replies

• dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    When I got married I weighed 168 lbs and was a size 8/10. I didn't know about healthy BMI's then or anything else I thought I was average size and not overweight...however according to the BMI standards I should be less than 140lbs. I can't even remember a time when I weighed that little in my entire life! I have to do some checking on my goals for this reason because I think I would be pretty sick looking if I was at 140.
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have both. I have a weight that I would like to be at, but I also have a size that I think I would be happy at.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I originally set a goal weight just to please MFP. My real goal is a clothing size. US size 6 to be exact. If I get down close to my goal weight, but am happy with myself, I will stop. I have never been down that small, so I can't judge if I'll be happy or not. We shall see.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know when I was younger I weighed 130 when I was fit and still weighed 130 when I was not so fit the difference was a US size 7 vs a US size 9. Now that I have had a child I would like to get down close to that size 9 and tone up and the numbers on the scale don't mean so much.
  • MaureenF1969
    MaureenF1969 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My goal is a size ten :-) The last few months my bigger jeans are falling off me, but the scale continually says F off ;-) So screw the scale, I'm going by size and measurements. I do occasionally weigh myself. As to the BMI - I just found a post about people who are large boned and their BMI does not fall into the normal category BMI scale....

Check this site out - SAVED ME! :-)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36520-calculate-accurate-bmi-large-frame/
  • debdebsx
    Options
    I weigh 144 pounds, and am a uk size 12. I am tall though, 5ft 11inches, I think it all depends on your height.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Experiencing this presently myself. I have dieted many times in the past and know that a certain weight means I wear a certain dress size. This time around, I have been exercising daily and found that I am hitting the small dress sizes quicker, and at a much higher weight than I would normally expect. I now only weigh myself fortnightly just so I can update MFP, otherwise I am not that interested in my weight. I am not complaining :)
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you have to take into account your height. 140lbs on a short person is going to look a LOT different on a much taller person.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Yes, as you get closer to your goal weight...it can be tiresome as the weight may take some time to come off..but the clothing results, the mirror results, the complements of friends, family are the greatest goal of all..so it depends on how you feel about the scale..some people don't even account to the scale anymore..and just rely on the visual changes, clothing changes...it is a great feeling to be able to have loose clothing, falling off your booty.. (no plumber flashing, or anything else for that matter..bahahaha...if you can help it!)

I myself go by both..the scale doesn't bother anymore...as I soooo love the way my clothes feel right now..and have clothing from prior that I totally can fit into..easily...loosely, and can't stop smiling!!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My orginal goal weight was set based on what I knew I looked like at that weight. Then it was readjusted based on the doctor's opinion.

My goal wasn't actually because of the scale, it was to get back into my skinny jeans.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    at my height im supposed to weigh 120 but i would stop if i got to a size 5/6 even if i weighed 130 or whatever... i think thats a good idea not a goal weight but a goal size... thank you!
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think you have to take into account your height. 140lbs on a short person is going to look a LOT different on a much taller person.

so true im 5'2 and ive been 140 and i was a size 10 but not toned 140 just fat 140 now if i had been taller i would have looked HOT lol
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    My mother weighs 45 kilos (about 100 lbs.) while I weigh 53.6 kilos (about 118-119 lbs.) but we're both wearing the same clothing size, US size 2-4 or UK size 8 & a jean size 26-27 or US size 2-4 . Funny thing is I used to weigh 50 kilos (about 110 lbs.) way back 11 years ago but I wore a jean size 30 or equivalent to US size 10. But I do admit that back then, I lost that much weight because of Bangkok diet pills so around 80% of my weight loss before was from water & muscle. Now I can say that my current loss is mostly from fat as I weight train 3x a week aside from 4x a week mini-cardio. So while I still consider the scale as an important tool, we shouldn't make it as a sole criterion for our success.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I looked chunky, dumpy and was wearing a UK 14 when I weighed 139lb. I'm 5'4". Once I get to a goal weight I'll work on goal measurements. I'll set myself up for failure if I try to do both at once.