Does drinking more water speed up weight loss ??

Options
I would really like to know this and also if it does then how ? This week im replacing coffee, diet coke with water and drinking lots of it, it's a pain needing the toilet more often but if it helps speed up weight loss then im all for it ?

Replies

• RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You know... I am not completely sure myself. I believe it does.... I know if you don't change your eating habits, you can drink all kinds of water and still not lose weight. I think it just flushes sodium and water weight out consistently... I would like to see some answers myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water "reduces" water retention.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    What it will do is get rid of the water weight you have...yeah the bathroom part stinks but that does ease up to regular bathroom use lol. So definitely keep up with your water intake, and you don't have to completely remove all forms of other drinks as well just limit them. Good luck!!
  • sarapie
    Options
    Yes, it absolutely does. I changed my diet and was exercising for 3 weeks (still drinking diet pop) and actually gained a pound. I gave up the pop, started drinking 12 glasses of water a day and lost 5.5 pounds in a week.

Here is a link that talks about 10 ways water helps you lose weight: http://allwomenstalk.com/10-ways-how-water-helps-you-to-lose-weight/

Good luck!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    For myself, drinking water makes me feel full and I don't get the hunger pains. I drink plenty of water throughout the day (which I never did before) and I find I don't eat or snack nearly as much as I did.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This week im replacing coffee, diet coke with water

That's how.

Also, it helps flush sodium out of your body which means you retain less water (not sure of the mechanics of this, but that's the general idea). It helps you feel fuller at meals and can help you snack less. It doesn't magically make fat melt off of you, but it helps you do the things that make fat melt off of you, like controlling your caloric intake.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Drinking lots of water is GOOD FOR YOU. The more you drink, sure the less you retain, but that's just water weight, it's not the weight that really counts when you're trying to lose weight. You want to lose fat.

ETA: It's a great thing to give up all that other stuff you're putting into your body. Coffee in moderation is okay but it's a great thing to give up the diet coke. Your body will be very happy with you! :bigsmile:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Water washes the toxins out of the body so our weight-loss efforts are more effective. I try for 8 cups of water a day, because it is good for me, helps keep me functioning better, and (IMHO) helps me lose weight.
    Hugs, BJB :drinker: (lots of water)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Increasing the amount of water you drink without making any other changes will NOT help you lose weight, at least not fat. It can help you lose weight due to water retention, however, but that's not going to be more than a few pounds and it'll only be an initial loss, not ongoing.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    aside from some of the things mentioned, often when you think you are hungry, you may just be slightly dehydrated.
  • Crang81
    Options
    Yes drinking water will help but not really with fat loss, it will help you not to reatin water as much. I made a goal to drink a gallon of water a day. The first 2 days I gained 8 pounds! I weighed the gallon of water and guess how much it weighed? Yep 8 pounds lol. After a few days I went back down to my "normal" weight then the next week I actually lost a pound. I'm pretty close to my goal and have actually been at my goal of 125 pounds in the past, for some reason it's a hard weight for me to keep. My body is happy around 130-133, but I still try like heck to get to 125 :laugh:

Water is sooooo important! I know we hear it over and over, aside from our bodies being mostly water, it helps with organ function. I wasn't drinking enough water and after some research found that if you don't have enough water it can actually make you tired! I work out alot and was finding myself feeling beat down and exhausted. Once I started drinking the gallon a day (of course spread out through the day) I found I had alot more energy!

So put down that coffee and soda and pick up that glass of water :drinker:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't personally find extra water to be helpful with anything other than making me pee more often!

I think people need *enough* water that they stay adequately hydrated, but I don't think there is any benefit to forcing extra water consumption beyond what is necessary. (and 'necessary' changes based on how much you're sweating, how much caffeine you've had, etc)

If you drink more water than your body needs, it's just going to be filtered through your kidneys and passed out as very dilute urine.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Water alone doesn't do anything.

It might help you retain less fluid, but it won't do anything for fat loss. But if you're drinking water instead of a 200 calorie soda, that will help. A lot of times, we mistake thirst for hunger, so if you have a glass of water instead of a snack, that will help, too.
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    BUMP
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Water helps more than you know. You'll find you won't miss the soda and it'll make you sick when you have one down the road. Now coffee on the other hand...that's something I can't (and won't) give up, so I balance it out my drinking MORE water (since caffiene is a dieuretic).

*caution - snarky, somewhat annoyed and witchy comment ahead*

While I applaud you wanting the information (and I know you're fairly new to the site), there is a handy "Search" function for all topics on the message boards. There is a plethora of links and other information about this topic already. My search got 50 pages. :) A lot of the other topics also have explanation (medical) on why water is good for you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    not really sure, but one thing I can say with confidence: thank GAWD I have two bathrooms because with all the water I consume, my bladder doesnt feel like waiting for my husband to get out of the bathroom downstairs! LOL!
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    drinking more water does help loose i drank 20 glasses of water yesterday and lost one lb from it so far, i read that for every 16 oz of urine you loose 1lb
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    This week im replacing coffee, diet coke with water

That's how.

Also, it helps flush sodium out of your body which means you retain less water (not sure of the mechanics of this, but that's the general idea). It helps you feel fuller at meals and can help you snack less. It doesn't magically make fat melt off of you, but it helps you do the things that make fat melt off of you, like controlling your caloric intake.

All of this ^

Water itself doesn't cause you to lose weight but the 'side-effects' of it will.
  • abc123katie280
    Options
    Drinking more water flushes out the toxins in your body, so it would definitely help in the weight loss process.