How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
It's day 2 of my new weightloss journey, and I have a very long way to go! I'm wondering how often should I weigh myself? Once a week? Twice a week? Every two weeks? I weighed myself last night to get a starting weight, then just out of curiosity did it again this morning - for a 2.5 lb difference! In 9 hours? That's crazy. So how often is too often, and what's the right amount of time to get an accurate reading? Thanks!

Replies

• Lizmhoughton
    Lizmhoughton Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are the lightest in the morning and the heaviest at night. I would weigh every week. Pick a day, I like Monday so I can see if the weekend set me back. Use your AM weight. Too much will drive you crazy since weight fluctuates so much throughout a day and week.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for Fridays, but forget and can go 2 weeks... but if I remember mid following week, I'll wait for Friday.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week on the same day, at the same time of day each time. I like consistancy. Some people like to see the day to day difference, I couldn't do that, I would never know what number to believe!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal preferance thing... I have been holding off on it, because I know I have had a few rough days... but then I get on and realize that I am right where I started... maybe had I been looking every day, it would have curved some of the crap eating that I have done. I think that I am going to do every other day... just to keep myself in check. But, that is just me.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Weekly should do though you may be tempted starting off to constantly weigh yourself. Try picking one day out of the week and do it then and try to keep weigh yourself at the same time.
  • cyre00
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every morning, but I need to get out of that - once a week is good, in the morning
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about 3-4 times a week - which is exactly what you SHOULD NOT do. Only weigh yourself once every 7-14 days. You'll get frusterated if you do what i do.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You are the lightest in the morning and the heaviest at night. I would weigh every week. Pick a day, I like Monday so I can see if the weekend set me back. Use your AM weight. Too much will drive you crazy since weight fluctuates so much throughout a day and week.

She is exactly right! I started out weighing myself everyday and drove myself crazy. Always weigh first thing in the AM when you wake up. I think Mondays are great because the weekends are the hardest for me. Good Luck!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, If I see a lower number than what I'm currently at on MFP I'll log it. Most of the time though I see a 1 to 3 pound "gain" but it never bothers me unless I see that "gain" sky rocket into like a 5 to 8 pound gain. Just drink your water and always weigh in the morning after eliminating into the toilet! :wink:
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, saturday morning. Then i allow myself that day to not count cals and have a treat. Then back to the diet Sun-fri :)
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I admit it, I'm obessed with it. I had someone hide my scale so I can only weigh myself once a week.
  • AlissaInPink
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every single morning post-gym, pre-shower. My weight fluctuates (or sometimes stays the exact same), but I like knowing where I'm at every day.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 1 or 2 weeks, I personally dont see the point in weghing every day as your weight fluctuates from morning, afternoon, night and day to day. To get an average and true weigh in I think weekly is enough.
  • lysa4
    lysa4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week, but my official "legit, write it down" day are Fridays :)
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    I know it can be more motivating to weight ourselves one a week and actually see a change. Still, I weight myself every single day in the morning before breakfast.
  • Manysongs
    Options
    I think it's just personal preference. I weigh myself every morning when I wake up before I get dressed. It helps me stay in check. Some days I weigh a little more or a little less but that's okay. It's the only way I can keep a check on my eating etc. .and I can nip it in the bud so to speak. I couldn't do once a week because knowing me I would freak out if I gained wt. lol... So it really depends on you and what your comfortable with. :smile:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    more than you hit the "search" button it looks like ......... ugh

doh.jpg
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every single morning post-gym, pre-shower. My weight fluctuates (or sometimes stays the exact same), but I like knowing where I'm at every day.

Me too (I know I shouldn't but I can't help it :blushing: ) but I only log weekly, on a Wednesday
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I also don't want to be disappointed by a once a week weigh in. So daily weigh ins help me stay on track and see where I am and what I need to do.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    My weigh in day is Wednesday mornings. If I weigh myself everyday, I'd go nuts! Your body can fluctuate a few pounds up or down daily (especailly during that time of the month) :flowerforyou: