Feeling blue <---it's seems to be happening often

Options
I feel like all I ever do is complain about how i've fallen off the wagon- AGAIN. How i'm feeling unmotivated- AGAIN. How i feel like giving up- AGAIN!
i dont get it! I WANT THIS! I want to lose this weight. i want to get healthier. Why cant i just do it? I slipped up last night. ate pretzles that werent supposed to be in the meal plan. instead of saying "well lets just let that be that and move on"...i raided the kids Halloween candy- the same exact candy i told my boyfriend to literally HIDE from me. Then i raided his small bags of chips he takes for his lunches at work. then I said screw it, and ate pizza for dinner.
all it gave me was this huge feeling of guiltiness! Woke up this morning with the mindset "i dont want to eat that- that food isnt good enough to put in my body. it'll make me fatter; stay away from it". great right? then I was talking to a friend who decided to show me her "perfect body" she is aiming for. I know many people find photos of other women (or men) that have a good body that they want to work towards. but its never worked for me. i always end up left feeling like "i could NEVER look like that- shes probably never had kids. never been over weight- shes perfect!"

even though i want to lose this weight, i get discouraged because ive had kids- i dont know how my body will "snap back" once i lose this weight, or if it even will at all. I guess the "motivational photo" of my dream body just doesn't work for me like it does others.

Replies

• me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and move on. Do it for you!! No one has the perfect body. Eat one meal at a time and telling yourself you can do it!
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I had 3 kids. I've gone from 223lbs to 130lbs. I am a size 4. It will take work and dedication and commitment, but it can be done. Don't give up. Push yourself and you'll see the results.
  • erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can at every meal, and remember you are worth it, do it for yourself, don't put pressure on yourself for the perfect body, go for just being healthier.Start liking yourself, you are worth it!Everyone has a bad day, just get back at it after you slip up.I've had kids too, and lets just say my stomach is never going to be the same as before, but I am going for being the best me for this body I have now.I feel better when I eat healthy, and it sets a great example for my girls!Good luck, you can DO it!:smile:
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I just think of it as every day is a new day. I've re-started so many times, I can't count.
  • woodsanita
    woodsanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect !! We all have our bad day's all you can do is pick yourself up and keep going.
  • jjolson70
    Options
    I hear you. I was very, very bad yesterday. I ate too much candy, drank too much wine, and polished almost an entire pizza all by myself. I feel like garbage today.
    I don't look at photos of people that I will never look like. I, too, have had kids, and know that, no matter how bad I want them to, those stretch marks will never go away. I just want to look like I did in my clothes before I had kids...to a point. I had lost a lot of weight about five years ago (and put that and much more back on), and I remember catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror, thinking "yes, this is what I'm supposed to look like". I felt better and looked better-why I went back to eating everything in sight is beyond me. I guess my point is, you probably look better than you think...be happy with what you are, not what some underfed, overpaid model is.
    We can do this. Let's hop back on the wagon today and stop beating ourselves up for slips. It happened, it's over, nothing we can do can take it back. We'll get there!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling blue but for other reasons (will not go into here) i have been taking each day one day at a time. That is the only advice i can give you.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do not think there is anything wrong with eating pizza or a bowl of ice cream every now and then. My weakness has been my fat filled ice cream for the past month. I have the (2) scoops in the afternoon and then all i have for dinner is fruit like pineapple of strawberries. When it's time for my workout I say to myself I have to burn off what I ate and that is how I deal with my weakness for sugar.

I think you are being too hard on yourself, I think you should continue to exercise and never give up on that. Everything else will follow. Once you see how long it takes to burn off that pizza, you will think twice before eating again. Honestly, It takes me an hour of running to burn off my (2) scoops of vanilla ice with caramel and nuts, and I never think twice about eating it :bigsmile: I say to myself as long as I am exercising, my body will get healthier.

I have learned to take one day at a time, I wake up early and I go to the gym. When I started I used to have to fall out of the bed just to get up and 4 weeks later, I am awake before my alarm clock even goes off. You will eventually get to a point where you have to exercise.

You are a strong person and there is no reason at all to feel blue or guilty about anything. We are all in the sam MFP boat :bigsmile:
  • I think the two things that get me the most are- ive given up so many times that now it's expected of me. no one takes me seriously any more. and i cant blame them. 2nd is that last night when my BF got home from work and i told him i gave up for the day, he actually sounded disappointed. he isnt dieting or trying to lose weight (though the lbs are melting off of him) but i think he just knows i want it so bad and all im doing is sabotaging myself.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    What is your loss per week set at?

I found a combo of slower loss and really getting into exercise to be incredibly beneficial to this weight loss thing, now I'm eating on average 2000 calories a day and can get away with the occassional slip up like that (even the pizza). It sounds like your current aspirations burn you out, my advice is to hang in there but allow yourself more wiggle room.
  • This photo always makes me feel better. I need to post it somewhere more BAM! IN YOUR FACE- right now it's buried in tons of other photos on my computer...
    w0gbwy.jpg
  • What is your loss per week set at?

I found a combo of slower loss and really getting into exercise to be incredibly beneficial to this weight loss thing, now I'm eating on average 2000 calories a day and can get away with the occassional slip up like that (even the pizza). It sounds like your current aspirations burn you out, my advice is to hang in there but allow yourself more wiggle room.
    It's set at 2lbs a week because i have over 100lbs to lose. I figure for a while 2lbs a week shouldnt be a big deal. i know itll slow down later but for now its set at -2/wk
  • Persevere230
    Persevere230 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Read my last post Im in the same boat as you. This is hard but hang in there as Im trying to a well. :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I started out pretty much exactly where you are...needing to lose about 100 pounds and having failed weight loss attempts several times. My brother even made a snide comment akin to "here we go again" when I announced that I was going to join WW 2 years ago. Thankfully, everyone else was pretty supportive (or at least didn't voice their negativity).

Something that helped me was to in terms of reality, health, fitness and the long-term. Sure you could try to avoid pizza and candy and pretzels but if you're like me, after 2 or 3 weeks of torturing yourself with cravings you think "screw that" and give up completely. The solution is to accept that these foods will be part of your life. You love these foods, why try to cut them out? The key is to learn how to make them a bit healthier (skip the meats, go for all veggie and thin crust for a start) and keep your portions reasonable. There's nothing wrong with having a handful of pretzels or a few mini candy bars either, just don't eat the whole bag.

Planning is a major key. I try to take time every weekend to plan dinners for the week while breakfast and lunch are pretty much always the same things (or at least around the same amount of calories) so their no brainers. This helps in two ways - one, if I've planned all my dinners out, i"m less likely to say "I don't know what to cook and I'm too tired, let's get take-out" because I've got hamburg or chicken that needs to be cooked or it'll go bad and I hate wasting food. ON the other hand, part of that planning is to include one night every week or two where we do get take out. This also helps because I can be good knowing that treat night is coming and I've got a night off from cooking coming too - both good things!

Exercise can help a whole lot too. If you're burning calories, that can help make up the difference for those little treats here and there.

If your goal is to eat cleaner, that can be tough with a hubby and kids who don't necessarily want to join in but you can make baby steps. Just don't try to dive in and give everything up in week one - that's just setting yourself up for failure IMHO.

ETA: Good luck and feel free to friend me! :)
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started trying to be more healthy, but I reckon if you really want something and it will fit in with your calories and it is only occasionally, it can't hurt can it ?

I really wanted to have a chippy tea to night, so I did an hour of running to make sure I had enough calories and I savoured every mouthful of my unhealthy tea.

Maybe if you allow yourself some of the food you crave within your calories, then you hopefully feel better about it.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Can't speak from experience regarding the larger pounds to lose, is it possible to feel sated on the stricter calorie deficit? But even with the bigger number, I think slow loss will be more sustainable - if you are losing slower, but not falling off the band wagon, then that's a win right?

Also, heartily endorse the comment suggesting healthier home cooked alternatives and getting into the exercise. You can do this, you just have to work out what you Can do consistently. :-)