is it bad to exercise every day?

Options
i was just woundering because i would think it would be good for you but my husband says otherwise

Replies

• aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Apparently it's best to give yourself a rest and to swap between cardio and strength as well. I have to admit I tend to exercise at least 6 days a week between classes and exercise DVDs and maybe that is too much!
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I go for six days.

Three days a week I do strength training (M W F)
    Three days a week I do cardio and yoga stuffs (T Th Sa)

Sunday's are my lazy day :D
  • erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym reccommend one day of rest a week, especially if you are lifting weights.Listen to your body, if you need a day off take it.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you're doing. I go for a walk everyday, but I'm currently doing the 30DS and had every intention of doing it everyday, but ended up taking a day off here and there. Do whatever is comfortable for you.
  • Victafan
    Victafan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at doing a weekly cycle of things I would build in one day of rest somewhere. Your muscles need rest to recover and grow. That's why a lot of exercise programs have you work different parts of your body on different days. For example, you do arms on Tuesday and legs on Wednesday so your arms get a rest on Wednesday to recover. Each week I try to run every other day (at least) and then do something different on the days I'm not running (weights, calisthenics, etc) and also include one full day of rest.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was working out everyday up until a few months ago. I found it was getting too much. Now I have at least one rest day per week. As others have said muscles need time to recover and grow
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on the excersize.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do at least something every day because when I take a real rest day without any exercise, my back gets sore. Weird, I know, but I'd rather avoid the pain and get a workout:)
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has some really good advice and most of them are correct. I would definitely give your body at least one day of rest but on that day make sure that isn't the day you eat a lot of calories. And remember this. Your body repairs itself when it is at rest. Some of the most important rest you get is at night. So, if you have go to bed early do that so you are giving yourself 8-9 hours of good quality sleep. Dave!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm working out six days per week with one rest day. I call that an active rest day though. The wife and I take a bike ride around the neighborhood. It is about 10 miles and we go at a relatively slow speed of 12-13 mph. It's about 400 calories in 40 minutes. The rest of the day is resting or XStretch as I'm doing P90X.

Now, if weight lifting, you shouldn't work the same parts of the body everyday. Give those parts at least one day to recover. For HIIT training, I would say the same rule applies and it can be pretty intense.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you're doing. If you're lifting HEAVY weights then No, you shouldn't exercise (lift) everyday.

If you're simply doing cardio exercise then it's OK to exercise every day as long as your heart rate doesn't exceed 75-80% of your maximum heart rate. And you should probably limit your workout to no more than 60 minutes a day.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I was exercising 5-6 days a week before my 2nd child came along (now it's just a time issue for me), but I never had issues and saw great results and felt awesome. Definitely listen to your body though
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Never work out the same body part two days in a row. Aside from that, I've had no problems exercising every day. More often than not, though, I do take a rest day, or do some light pilates and nothing else one day a week.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    the reason i asked this question is because im doing the 30ds and your supposed to work out every day... so what do i do
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    the reason i asked this question is because im doing the 30ds and your supposed to work out every day... so what do i do

Listen to your body. If you feel you need to rest, then rest. Jillian won't come knocking your down, trust me. I'm getting ready to start level 3 and I've taken a day off here and there. :happy: