Keeping Track of Running Distance

Options
I want to ditch the treadmill and start running outside more often, but I usually take unmarked trails near my home so I have no idea how far I have gone. I've tried looking for GPS watches for women,but I havent really been able to find any. Does anyone know of a women's gps watch or some sort of distantce tracking watch that isnt a crazy amount of cash? Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• Brdn_nkd
    Options
    do you have a smart phone?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I love my Garmin305.
    My hubby got it for me for Christmas last year but purchased it on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you want but it's a great site - runkeeper.com
  • mariec25
    Options
    I have an app for my phone its called Runkeeper and its fantastic and now also free. If you have a compatible phone I would definitely recommend it, I have been using it for a year and I love it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    a website called walkjog run helps you plan routes etc
  • shawn_chas102304
    Options
    I use Runtastic for free on my blackberry. Love it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Cardiotrainer is my favourite GPS running/walking/cycling app. If you don't have a smartphone, trace out your route on mapmyrun.com.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer to keep track.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use iMapMyRUN app on my phone...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    i use runnkeeper on my iphone and it is awesome! and free!!
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    I Love my Garmin FR60. Around $100
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 305 also that I bought on Amazon. I bought it this summer for $130 (now it's at $150) It's so worth every penny. I am still learning all the cool features it has. Runkeeper on the Iphone is cool too I just hate carrying the phone!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use www.mapmyrun.com on my computer after I run. There is an ap for smart phones for this site too! And its free! Been using it for the last 2 or 3 years. I've been looking getting the Garmin 305...waited too long, and now the price is going up, up, up on Amazon. Thinking the Christmas season is driving the price from $138 to $154 (just checked). Saw it up to $175 a couple days ago. Good luck and keep up the running!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    imapmyrun or runkeeper are great
  • Emery313
    Options
    Thanks for all the good information everyone! I will be definately looking into a few of those options. :happy:
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin305.
    My hubby got it for me for Christmas last year but purchased it on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.

This. A lot of bang for the buck. I love mine! I'm a bit OCD so I have an Android app I also record it in as well as a Windows program and 4 online places as well. Yes, I'm a dork. :/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I used Mapmyrun to calculate 1/4 mile increments as well as 1 mile laps near my home. I also use a pedometer (FitBit) to determine pace and distance and burn.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 and I use runkeeper.

A couple others that I have come across that I liked. I don't use them only because I bought the paid subscription from runkeeper.

www.endomondo.com looks like it's a good one.
    www.dailymile.com looks really good too. I really like that they have a blogger widget.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wait a couple weeks and the 305 should be cheaper again.

99% of the time, I run. Then I use google maps to figure out the distance and my pace after the fact. Total cost? $25 timex watch.
  • TreadmillManiac
    Options
    garmin 305 and using pace alert to make myself run faster!! Makes for tough runs.