Whats the healthest option to order from an Indian ??

Options
Should I ditch the rice and replace with salad ? Currys darker in colour ? fish ? Everything is so calorific ! help !!!!!

Replies

• edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i asked this same question a few weeks ago, and the replies i got were quite helpful :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/365299-low-calorie-indian-restaurant-options
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken might be a good option. Tasty, no rice just salad and dressing. It's very tasty and low in calories. Don't know how many though - sorry!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    In response to the topic title question.... depends on what the Indian has to offer?
  • titlich
    Options
    I would say go for Tandoori Chicken or any other kind of meat kabobs, salads, avoid the sauce as they mostly contain cream or saturated fat like ghee/butter. Happy eating !!
  • hereitcomes
    Options
    In response to the topic title question.... depends on what the Indian has to offer?

HAHAHA!
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options

Ha! I thought the same thing.
  • crazysillydancer
    Options
    To get a low calorie meal I would ask what their vegan options are (perhaps I'm biased though). By choosing a vegan option you will avoid cream, butter, and meat with high fat content. When i had Indian in the past I had a vegetable curry and a lentil dish over rice. Very delicious and fulfilling! And so long as you're also eating high fiber and protein foods with the rice, I wouldn't worry about it. Rice is a relatively unprocessed grain and therefore higher in fiber. :)
  • fitnessmonthly
    fitnessmonthly Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well I am an Indian who loves eating out let me you a few tips to eat at indian restaurant which I do myself . Try not to go for a buffet if you have to then you modify a little.
    At the start I tell the waiter I am not allowed to eat too much salt ant oil since it affects my heart.
    Starters- normally any CHART ITEM is ok, channa chart, all the fritter type like Bhajji are deep fried calorically bad.
    Nonveg main course- tandoori anything is good,Iike methi chicken with less oil since methi is fenugreek a very good blood sugar regulator.
    Vegetarian main -Beware of panner very high in fat of couse good calcium.
    So dhal, alllo gobhi[POTATO,CAULIFLOWER] offcourse I love bindi masala [OKRA] WHICH GOOD CHOLESTEROL REGULATION AGAIN SPECIFIFY NO OIL,Mushroom curry is also good.
    Dhal makani is sometimes lethal since they add cream in the lentil. So plain dhal tadka,sambar.
    South indian - try always to have idli fermented lentil/rice cake a good healthy food.
    Breads- chapthi no oil, tandoori roti are good, less better potions are naan made out of regular flour.
    Rice- pulao has less cals then biryani , So jeera pulao, peas pulao are good or plain basmati rice low GI and good.
    Deserts- Kheer is rice pudding, maybe 1 gulab jamun or 1 spoon carrot halwa

Drinks - Here I give up I truly adore sweet lassi and mango lassi , still I ask the waiter to make it with low fat yogurt and very less sugar.
    Specify No oil, no ghee[Though ghee has many benefits it is not good foe people watching their weight
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Get plain boiled rice rather than pilau (which is made with ghee) and you'll save some calories. I often have chicken tikka because it's cooked in the tandoor without sauce and have that with half a portion of plain rice and use a veg as the sauce. I'm partial to saag (spinach) dishes and Tarka Dhal. But like everything else in losing weight, it's a question of moderation.
    Steer clear of the pint-size bottles of Cobra beer too!