So lets say I mix up 2 batches

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
of protein shake with milk, stick them in the fridge in a Nalgene bottle and add it as needed to my coffee for 3 or 4 days.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? I read something about the protein breaking down or something...

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Even if it breaks down, won't it still be amino-acids? I don't know really. I'm just guessing.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    As long as the bottle is sterile, opague or colored and it's kept refrigerated, I can't imagine it going bad very soon. There may be some slight oxidation if the bottle is transparent.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    Some protein powders get really bitter as they sit around... I would say, just mix in the powder to your coffee.... Coffee is water after all!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how this would relate to protein shakes but protein does denature when it reaches a certain temperature. Whether the temperature of your coffee is high enough to denature the protein, I don't know.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how this would relate to protein shakes but protein does denature when it reaches a certain temperature. Whether the temperature of your coffee is high enough to denature the protein, I don't know.

You're absolutely correct, high temp. and low pH can denature protein.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I thought I read that this was a non-issue since internal temps (stomach) are high enough to denature it anyways. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I swear that was the recent consensus on this. Any info?
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I thought I read that this was a non-issue since internal temps (stomach) are high enough to denature it anyways. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I swear that was the recent consensus on this. Any info?

I denature proteins for a living >.> (okay, not really, but a lot of what I do requires intentionally denaturing enzymes to de-activate and unfold them) and it depends entirely on the specific protein. Some can survive a nuclear blast without denaturing. Body temp is usually not high enough to do anything (most function best at body temp). It's usually the pH in the stomach that get 'em. But yeah, I suspect they denature in the stomach.

The real question is, does it matter if they denature? We just break the protein down into it's component amino-acids and use it as fuel or building blocks.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The real question is, does it matter if they denature? We just break the protein down into it's component amino-acids and use it as fuel or building blocks.

This....
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This....

Yeah, basically it's just pre-digesting the proteins for you... gross ;)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I denature proteins for a living >.> (okay, not really, but a lot of what I do requires intentionally denaturing enzymes to de-activate and unfold them) and it depends entirely on the specific protein. Some can survive a nuclear blast without denaturing. Body temp is usually not high enough to do anything (most function best at body temp). It's usually the pH in the stomach that get 'em. But yeah, I suspect they denature in the stomach.

^ Thanks for this!