Swim Lap Counter

Options
I am going to try to start swimming, but I hate keeping track of laps. Does anyone here use a lap counter water, and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Count how many laps you do in 15 minutes, and use that as your counter. # x 4 = laps done in an hour.

Right now I do 5 laps (there and back), so 1 hour will yield 20 laps.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    No. Thats what I hate. I hate having to keep anything on my mind other than making sure I keep moving and breathing. If I find a good counter that works, I would even consider turning it inside out or putting it in my trunks so I wouldnt be tempted to look at it during the swim.

I see my question is all jacked up, so I will ask it again.

Does anyone here use a WATCH that keeps track of laps when you swim? And do you like it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    You have to tap the counter to have it register a lap.....I've not heard of one that will automatically count without you touching it, so the trunks might be a nuisance.

Why do you need to know how many laps you swim?

I have been a pool swimmer for years, and other than once every year, I don't really count. It kind of sounds like a waste of money, IMO.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    why do i need to know? because i am obsessed with data and progress. the only way i can keep myself motivated is to constantly look for small milestones in the exercises i do. like breaking X time in three miles or being able to X reps of 100 LBs on the bench press.

I love recording everything i do and charting my progress. I suppose I get this from my dad who does the same thing with his fishing trips. He can tell you the cloud-cover, water temperature, fishing method and totel/types of fish caught for every trip he's been on.

And you are wrong about having to click each lap. that is true for some devices, but others are made to recognize changes in direction. My question is to the people who use those, about which ones they like to use.
  • fleaglebeagle
    Options
    You, my friend, need a "poolmate" watch.

http://www.swimovate.com/poolmate.html

I don't have one myself.... but they exist.
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the Poolmate and it's fab. It counts laps, calories, efficiency and speed. To be honest it's made my swim into a competition now. I try to beat previous days performances. It never looses laps either and no button pressing it does it automatically. Got mine off amazon for £58 and I wouldn't swim without it now. Xxx
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    thanks all. but because of that video of the whale almost eating the kayaker and surfer, i am afraid to go into the pool.