ToughMudder 2012

Options
Has anyone done the toughmudder? There is one in Dallas at the end of March 2012. I really want to do it, but have no idea how to train for it. There is a training guide on there website, but Im still not sure how to train for this event. I have no upper body strength and have never ran 10 miles straight in my life. I realize doing this event in March may not be possible, but I relly want to do it someday!! Please any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting with the C25K program, this will get you up to speed with jogging for distances. They also have a "bridge to 10K" which you'll also probably want to look into.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I checked out the Tough Mudder page, and this looks like a more extreme version of the Warrior Dash. Maybe you should look into doing that first (since its shorter, but still has obstacles).

They seem to have a work out program as well on their page, maybe look into following that. Good luck! :drinker:
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I want to train for it too. I live in Houston.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do one this past march, but had some personal stuff come up and had to cancel. Hopefully this year...

Cardio and weights. The tough mudder website has a workout routine, but at this point I'd suggest doing the basics so you develop a good foundation of strength and cardio endurance. Cardio training: longer and slower runs to build endurance, shorter faster runs to build speed. Strength: mostly upper body stuff - chest, shoulders, arms, back. Core work is never a bad idea for stability.

Also, there are several smaller/shorter events that might be good stepping stones to the TM.

• Jacksheadache
    Jacksheadache Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you considered other 'smaller' events that are similar? Such as the Spartan race or Warrior Dash?
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Have you considered other 'smaller' events that are similar? Such as the Spartan race or Warrior Dash?

I was going to suggest the same. A lot of races are 3-6 miles in length. I'm going start out with a Warrior Dash in January and see how it goes. Do a google search for mud runs dallas and I'm sure you'll turn up a lot of different races.
  • kaciroberts1585
    kaciroberts1585 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There is a Warrior Dash up close to Dallas the weekend of April 21/22 next year. I've never done any kind of race (signed up for my first 5k in December!!) but I think this is totally doable. Can't wait for it!
  • Emery313
    Options
    I think thats a great idea. Im going to look into similiar, but shorter events. Then I can see what I need to improve on! Thanks for the help everyone