Number of calories burned needed

Options
I think the more information I get on health the more confused I get. Today I had a Calorie Point and Cardio Point assessment done. My tranier says I should be eating 1500 calories on 40/30/30. She's my boot camp instructor so she knows my workout schedule on M/W/F and we discussed today my running on SU/TU/TH for 30 minutes. Now the part I'm confused with is when I change my calories to 1500 and my calories burned to 1550 MFP says I'm going to gain 0.1 lbs per week? Should I increase my workout times to offset the additional calories I should be eating?

Replies

• lilybug13
    Options
    You should ask your instructor if she is taking exercise into account when saying 1500... If that is not net, and you burn roughly 300 calories a day, you would be really only eating a net of 1200 not 1500 calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you had a personal evaluation done, I'd go with that recommendation (assuming they are competent).

There are someany assumptions and generalizations with how MFP calculates numbers that anything more personal is probably going to be more accurate. I haven't gone by MFP's recommendations in a long time.

Plus, I have a hard time believing anyone of reasonable health with a reasonable workout routine is going to actually gain weight netting 1500cal per day.

• sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    you should do your own calculations based on your body's needs. I disagree with MFP and its final numbers since they give everyone the same calorie intake 1200, only considering height, weight and really broad activitity level, when in reality everyone's body composition have different demands, some people people have more muscle than others hence require a different amount of calories and micronutrients.
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel better about it now. Lily, the 1500 doesn't count in my exercise calories. Seems I have a higher metabolism than I thought, thus more calories.