Not about nutrition or fitness, but still need motivation.

Options
I am working on getting back on the wagon and try to lose weigh again. I have another issue I need motivation and support on. I am a pack a day smoker and want to quit. I have tried cold turkey (not easy). I can not do the patch I am allergic to them, my insurance does not cover the gum, and I am scared to take chantix (has caused death in some). I am willing to go back to cold turkey, but living with my dad who is a smoker it is going to be very hard. If anyone else is a smoker and is wanting to quit we can all support each other!

Replies

• ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 years ago. The best way I found to quit was to smoke 1 less cigarette each day til you are down to 4-5 a day and then go cold turkey. Good luck!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!!!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear you want to quit. That's a big first step in itself. I've been quit for over 2 years (since August 2009) and things that worked for me including 1) cutting back - no first thing in morn, no after breakfast, no drive to work, no mid-morning smoke, etc. till I was only smoking at night. Then I took Chantix (twice) Every medication I'm sure has had someone die from it, please don't let that scare you away from something that can help. Just watch your dosage, feelings, mood, etc. and start slow. You don't HAVE to take the full dosage. For me 1/4 of the dosage worked.

Unfortunately stress got the better of me and I started smoking again up until my last and final quit date. That time I did it cold turkey b/c I was more than ready to quit.

Here's a website I went to where tens of thousands of other smokers go to get support for quiting. http://www.quitnet.com
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey a year ago. Drink lots of water to clean your system out. This will even make you feel healthier so hopefully, you won't want harmful things. Try to stay away from places and situations where you would normally smoke. Suck on sugar free candies. Keep up your exercising or better yet....add more. I will be honest...I gained 15 pounds but they are all gone now.:bigsmile:
  • abc123katie280
    Options
    Hello! I had the same issue, I went months with no exercise and it really packed on the pounds for me. There is a website called tumblr.com and it helped me to stay motivated by reading other peoples success stories and sharing my own as well with pictures too. There is a book called ''Natural Cures THEY don't want you to know about'' by Kevin Trudeau. I highly recommend you read it, it will simply change your life with the knowledge presented in the book.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to wish you good luck, I know it isn't easy!! I quit about 10 years ago using the slow reduction method. Day 1 I counted how many cigarettes I had, and had one less every day until I was down to none.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like the cutting out one less every day until I am smoking non. That seems like it will work for me.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I've never been a smoker, but I've had several friends quit. It was tough, but they decided they were tougher than the cigarettes. Not a one of them regrets their decision to quit!

Here's a suggestion: Each week, take the money you would have spent on cigarettes and put it in a jar (or better yet, a savings account to earn some interest). Use the money to treat yourself to something special. You could treat yourself once a month, or every two months, or wait a whole year, whichever you think would motivate you more. Just don't reward yourself with food...might derail the weight loss! But something else you really enjoy could be a huge motivator.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I've never been a smoker, but I've had several friends quit. It was tough, but they decided they were tougher than the cigarettes. Not a one of them regrets their decision to quit!

Here's a suggestion: Each week, take the money you would have spent on cigarettes and put it in a jar (or better yet, a savings account to earn some interest). Use the money to treat yourself to something special. You could treat yourself once a month, or every two months, or wait a whole year, whichever you think would motivate you more. Just don't reward yourself with food...might derail the weight loss! But something else you really enjoy could be a huge motivator.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    the saving money thing would work, but my dad is a smoker and I am broke so I smoke his little cigars. free smokes.