I give up

Options
Wow - so, after thinking I had been super good and been hungry almost every day for the last month (really decided it was time to try hard to be better with my food) Imagine my despair to see that My weight loss over the last four weeks has been: week 1:put on 3lb, week 2:lost 2lb, week 3:put on 1lb, week 4:put on 1lb. So - I've put on 3lb….. great.

I've been cyclying a few times each week and had the following net calories: 228 over, 161 over, 160 over and 193 over. Okay - so they are all "over" my target - but still about 300 calories a day less than what I "should" be eating to maintain my current weight. So a 3lb increase over those 4 weeks is the opposite to what I was hoping for. I don't want to lose weight rapidly, I just want to change my lifestyle so that I don't put weight on, (hence I am not busting a gut to be under target - I want to achieve something that is mantainable from here on, forever) but it just seems impossible. How can my weight have GONE UP when I am so hungry and have already changed SO much?

Replies

• shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale and take your measurements instead. I did a full round of Insanity and my weight barely changed but my measurements changed A LOT. Scales are just evil.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents...

You could be overestimating your exercise calories if you aren't using a heart rate monitor. I was shocked how much I was overestimating mine once I got my HRM.

Or, because you are feeling hungry, maybe your body is telling you to eat a little more. Fill up chicken breasts and veggies and it'll keep you from being too hungry.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I have been here for 5 months and I am taking it very slow, and I have only lost 8 pounds. But my body shape is changing from working out with a personal trainer 3 days a week. Hang in there, it could be any number of reasons the scale went up -- water retention, that sort of thing. You could not have gained 3 pounds of fat with the amount calories you ate, it just wouldn't be possible.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry all the time, exercise more so you can eat more! Even just a walk in the evening helps me have that extra piece of bread or chocolate that I want at the end of the day. Also, drinks LOTS of water. And keep at it... you'll get there! It took me over a month for the scale to move at all when I started!
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you on any new medications. Sometimes that will mess with your diet. I am not a doctor I have just had medicians that have effected my weight. I hope you find out what is happening soon so you won't give up for good.

Good Luck
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Agree with a previous poster - being hungry is not "dieting"! Your body tells you it needs something, feed it. Keep lots of fruit and protein on hand to help with low cal but filling, nutritious food.
  • gramofseven
    Options
    also if you are exercising...remember that muscle weighs more than fat so taking measurements will probably make more sense! good luck!!
  • larat71
    Options
    I agree with the previous post...remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're working out, you may be gaining muscle.....and take your measurements and track them as well as your weight! Good luck!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the above posters have said. Maybe try switching things up. Try eating a little more, and make sure the foods are healthy. Are you drinking enough water to help try to prevent water retention? How are you estimating your exercise calories. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, invest in one ASAP. MFP's estimates tend to be way over in terms of calories burned. When I finally got my HRM is when I really started losing. Hang in there and keep your chin up. Don't give up - you'll likely regret it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry all the time, exercise more so you can eat more! Even just a walk in the evening helps me have that extra piece of bread or chocolate that I want at the end of the day. Also, drinks LOTS of water. And keep at it... you'll get there! It took me over a month for the scale to move at all when I started!

I agree with this ^^^ It took about 3 weeks for the scale to move when I started. And weight loss without exercise is very hard IMO. I simply can't feel full on the amount of calories it takes to lose without it. I hate to feel hungry.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks into this and I have not lost much weight at all...depending on the day my weight fluctuates too....I can be down 3 lbs one day and up 2 the next, but...I have lost 10 inches in the last month. So.....don't rely on the scale. I agree too that you should not rely on the calories the site says certain exericses burn, it's off. I would take your base line calories and stay at that on the days you do not exercise and on the days you do, maybe eat 200 calories more....or get a Heart Rate monitor.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, really, I do.

But dear, you shouldn't be hungry all the time. I think something is wrong with that. If you're hungry AND not losing, plateaus around every corner, something has to change. How many calories are you taking in and how many of those are from protein? Maybe your body is trying to tell you something. Perhaps, you need to up your calories a little so you're not quite so miserable. It probably sounds crazy to you, but honest to god, sometimes you won't lose weight because you need to eat a little more.

Just, whatever you do, don't give up. You have all my support and others, I'm sure, and we're rooting for you to succeed in your goals. You have it in you :).
  • Bigwrick
    Options
    Don't give up - push on. I weigh every day and can tell you every body's weight has fluctuations. Also, we all hit weight plateaus. I recommend measuring your body in key areas. I measure neck, chest, upper arm, waist and mid-thigh. I weigh daily and recommed tracking these measurements weekly. I had many weeks with no loss or a gain of weig ht but I lost inches. This kept me motivated. Maybe it can work for you. Just don't give up.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree, check your measurements and ditch the scare. Also, see if you can find somewhere to check your body fat percentage. Wikipedia has a formula, although I'm not sure how much I trust it....

Adult body fat % = (1.20 × BMI) + (0.23 × Age) − (10.8 × gender) − 5.4 - where gender is 1 for males and 0 for females.

I have been working out regularly and was depressed to find out I gained 4 pounds....but that 4 pounds was muscle. My Body fat dropped from 27.4% to 22.4%.
  • mrintense
    Options
    Your post offers some clues to what might be going on. You mention being hungry every day. If you're hungry everyday, you're body thinks its starving and will store fat rather than burn it. I suggest you first evaluate what and when you're eating. Perhaps a larger breakfast and a smaller dinner. I don't know if this is the problem but its worth mentioning. I've found with myself that a larger breakfast makes it easier to get through the day especially when it might be 5 or 6 hours till lunch.

Secondly, try finding lower calorie substitutes for some items that are still satisfying. For example, I have a particular craving for potato chips. But even a small bag of potato chips will blow a bunch of calories. But I love having something salty with my sandwich that I usually have for lunch. So I substituted Mezzettas Hot Mix (pickled hot vegetables) . Three servings of that is something like 30 calories versus 200-300 for a back of chips.

Thirdly, I suggest some activity every day rather than just a few times a week. If you consistently burn extra calories everyday, you havae an easier time of staying under goal and it helps to even out those days when you might go over goal.

Good luck and don't give up.
  • smblakely
    Options
    Please don't give up. We are all in this together. Stick with it. It didn't come on over night so it's not going to come off over night. You could've gained 3lbs of muscle. When I first started kickboxing I gained 10lbs. I was freaking out, but when I sat down and thought about it, it couldn't be fat gain. I am eating healthy. Just stick with it. I would hate for you to give up. I've done it so many times and I think back at the time I've wasted by not sticking with it. You CAN do this!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Also, I've heard that the calories of food in any database, on any label is only the average. So it could be a bit more or less than what it says, so giving yourself a bit more room might be a good thing. Also, record everything! It's amazing how small things add up!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Here are my immediate thoughts:

- All of us tend to over estimate our exercise calories burned (especially w/o an HRM) and underestimate our calories consumed. So if you're over your calories by your count, my guess is that you're over by even more than you think. It might not be a huge amount, but it gives you an even smaller cushion than you think.

- My personal opinion is that if you're hungry (truly hungry, not just bored-hungry, or dehydrated-hungry) than you should eat more or maybe just change up the kinds of food you're eating... I don't believe there is any reason to be hungry on a regular basis. You've kept your diary private, so I can't tell what kind of foods you've been eating... If you're eating a large amount of overly processed foods, then you're probably sabotaging yourself. They give you the calories, but very little nutrition. If you're eating a diet high in carbs, then you probably need to be eating more lean protein and fats... these tend to satiate you for longer than carbs alone.

- I noticed you have got any MFP friends. I highly recommend creating an MFP social network (feel free to friend me) - sharing your struggles on a regular basis makes this whole process a lot easier.

Keep at it! Keep changing things up until you find out what works for you! You can totally do this!
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Buy a shirt and try it on every few weeks. Measure inches. Scales ARE evil and must be thrown out the window.

I started working out at size 16 and now Im an 8 but have only last 20 or so pounds. But Im on my way to being RIPPED! hang in there!