Has this happened to you???

Options
2»

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    BTW - I actually had someone ask me one time if my weight loss was due to cancer!!! SERIOUSLY!?!?!

Oh, yeah, my wife gets that from time to time regarding me, the: "Is he alright?"

Well, no, he ain't right, but he is healthy!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    They can't believe you, because they aren't capable of doing that themselves. You are awesome, though :D
  • smv123abc
    smv123abc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tell them your counting calories and exercising! That's what you do on this website! They will think your not having any fun in life!! But this isn't that hard!!! Wow you have done a great job!!!
  • EfisherMEO
    Options
    They can't believe you, because they aren't capable of doing that themselves. You are awesome, though :D

Thanks, i believe everyone is capable of doing it, if i can, and you all can, then everyone can...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Because if that answer was really that "easy" anyone - themselves included - could do it ***insert sarcasm here***! It takes away their excuse for not weighing what they should.

This, probably.

But then again, maybe it's just a testament to the fact that it is a huge accomplishment to lose a large amount of weight without any gimmicks or quick fixes. It's a compliment.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    "You'd be surprised at how many calories you burn digging a big, deep hole!" While looking at them with a menacing grin.
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I haven't had people actually come out and say anything yet. However when people do find out how much weight I have lost and want to know how I did it and I tell them through diet and exercise I can see by the look on some of their faces that they don't believe me and think that I have had weight loss surgery. I also gets asked often what's my "secret" like I have some magic trick I can tell them. No magic here...just time, good choices, and a heck of a lot of hard work.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was in the grocery store and one of the cashiers that I've known for a long time ask me if I had lost a lot of weight. I said 20 lbs. she said were you trying to lose weight. I said yes because my dr. said all my blood work was so bad he wanted me to lose . She said hers was bad too,but she didn't care. I've had 2 0r 3 to say the same thing. I'm glad I took my Dr's advice and lost the weight because now all my numbers are really good ,plus my blood pressure is excellent. I think some people are just jealous ...Not that I look that great,but my clothes sure do feel a lot better on me now.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's really because they want to hear you have found the key to quick and easy weight loss!

I get this all the time at work from customers that haven't seen me in awhile....

"wow you've lost weight!". (big excited grin) "how'd you do it?"

"counting calories, making my food from scratch and exercise! " (proud grin)

" oh .... Well have a nice day..."

Who cares what they think!

But I might try the "crack" comment cause at least then I'd get a different response!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    HI !!! I hear what you are saying...I actually had a nurse i have known for a long time comment to me as she was taking me back to remove stictches from my arm, " you have lost A LOT of weight, how did you do it ?! " When i replied, that yes, i have lost 60 pounds and told her ALL about MFP, all she said was " Oh, great "...that was the end of the conversation...it was llike she was expecting me to tell her about some great diet pill or something...and she is a nurse...oh well, keep up the FANTASTIC job of losing the weight...you are doing EXCELLENT !!!
  • Bibis29
    Options
    Yeah, some people just don't get that it's just calories in, calories out. Idk, maybe they're all disillusioned by all the weight loss gimmicks out there. Just keep doing what you're doing - healthy weight loss.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I say "I used a phone app" as that sounds sufficiently gimmicky and unlikely :laugh:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have seen/heard similar comments.

For me, I ignore the negativity. Not hard as all of my friends & family know the effort I have made. And, they are the only people who really count!

On the positive side, I get a kick when people in my Martial Arts classes tell me that I am an inspiration! WTF! Never thought that anyone would even think that I was a positive example!

In the end, any positive and/or negative feedback is irrelevant. I changed my life for me, no one else, not even my family. I was not happy with what I looked like, how I felt about myself and the fact that I would probably not live another 10 years if I kept on with my bad habits.

Now, I am a month ahead of my weight loss initial goal (break 200 lbs by Xmas), I am more confident, less tired, enjoying life and looking forward to each new day. And, as a bonus, I get along better with my wife and children.

Kudos for your success to date! Keep up the good work!
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    I get those every now and then, not very many though. Typically they think I'm just not eating, or worse, throwing-up everything I eat!

Hard work is all it is...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I had a similar response earlier this year when I met some girls I used to work with. They were all impressed and asked what I did and I told them I started with Weight Watchers then moved on to MFP. Went into detail about the website and how easy it is and they seemed interested enough to give me their email addresses so I could send them the website link. And then nothing...

I agree with the majority of the replies so far - people just can't believe it's that simple (there must be a miracle drug or surgery) or they don't really want to put the effort in.

Good for you though!!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    it's crazy, they ask "what's your secret"? like it's some big mystery that i stumbled upon....

same here^
  • jenslamdunk
    Options
    I can relate. One of my co-workers is convinced that I have had some type of surgery to loss the weight I've lost so far.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    i'm kind of intollerant of that stuff- so I'd be the jerk who has fun & say " Oh- how did I lose weight? CRACK" but I'm rotten that way. In the meantime- CONGRATS on your hard work- Its not easy- and doing it the right way makes you appreciate it more, makes you a stronger person- and increases the odds of you keeping it off- so have fun with the boneheads who dont believe you- and bask in your success- you have earned it!!

LOL Love this! Sounds similar to my "I've picked up a nice crystal meth habit and it works like a charm! Do you realize how much weight you can lose when your teeth start to fall out - it's a blessing, really, I tell ya."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!