Taco Soup Recipe for 263 calories/serving

Options
HealthyGela
HealthyGela Posts: 6 Member
Since I calculated the nutritional value I thought I would share it with everyone. It's a pretty balanced dinner choice, compared to alot of other options. :-)

Taco Soup

Ground Beef ( I used 1.36 lbs of 93/7 so that's what the values are based on.)
1 16oz jar of Pace Medium Salsa
1 16 oz jar of Pace Medium Picante
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can sweet corn
1 medium chopped onion
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can chicken broth

Just cook the meat, add the onions for a couple minutes then everything else. Simmer at least 20 minutes or until as thick as you like.

This recipe should make 9 cups and 1 cup is 263 calories. I also add 1/8 or 1/4 cup Kraft shredded cheese but I think that is like an extra 55 calories per 1/8. The trick is to learn to eat it without fritos or crackers. :-) Anyway, if you decide to make it, you can look up Angela's Taco Soup to use in your food journal, as I already set it up. I need to do this for other recipes, but this was my first one to calculate.

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Sounds great...I'm gonna make it soon! :tongue:
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Is that a 15oz can of chicken broth?

This looks good and my husband would LOVE it :D
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    although that's does sound delish, but canned foods help you gain weight with added hidden sugars and preservatives. Frozen are better and fresh is the best. Beans do have to soak overnight and that's a pain in the butt, but well worth the health values. good luck
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    yum!!!!!!! I used almost the same recipe from Gina's Skinnytaste.com (I added a can of tomato paste, and some V8 for some more liquid), and I used cooked, canned chicken instead of the beef. I brought it into the Halloween Carry in here at work on Friday, and it was GONE. I even doubled the batch! :)

Serve it with some sour cream, shredded cheese, and some cilantro, and it's pure heaven. DEFINITELY a recipe to keep around for those cold winter nights!!!
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Jacksonsmomma2211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyGela
    Options
    Yes; just the small can of chicken broth. My husband loves this too and I know I have to learn to make things we both can eat and like. Hope you like it.
  • HealthyGela
    Options
    although that's does sound delish, but canned foods help you gain weight with added hidden sugars and preservatives. Frozen are better and fresh is the best. Beans do have to soak overnight and that's a pain in the butt, but well worth the health values. good luck

I'm sure cooking with fresh items would be better, but for people who can't seem to make the time to do it the right way, it's better than alot of choices.
  • sare_sweetheart
    Options
    bump!
  • kwilson527
    kwilson527 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy....thanks for sharing
  • cherylaclark
    cherylaclark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Bump
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    sounds so good :)
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Definitely wanna hold on to this recipe.....thanks!~
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I actually made this yesterday and it was a hit with my family! Great recipe!
  • HealthyGela
    Options
    I actually made this yesterday and it was a hit with my family! Great recipe!
    YAY!
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4myboyz25
    4myboyz25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have been looking for a taco soup recipe and this sounds perfect can not wait to try it!