To Shred or Not to Shred....

Options
...on a daily basis?

As I await the arrival of my 30 DS in the mail, I've been wondering whether I can get by doing it every other day vs. every single day? I've always believed in having a "rest" day in between my strength/toning days to allow my muscles a chance to, well....rest, and I hear that this progam is a bit strenuous on the muscles.

I've got about 10 pounds to lose and because of ongoing lower back issues, the activities I typically partake in several days a week are yoga & brisk walking (either outside or on the treadmill). I'm not afraid to put in the hard work, but I'm wondering if I can alternate my yoga with 30 DS and try and walk when I can and still see some good results?

For those of you out there that have done this progam, any thoughts?

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also believe in a rest day between strength training. So, when I'm doing the Shred I do it every other day and do my running on the other days.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I've done both (every day vs. every other day combined with other exercise) and my results were much better when I did it daily. I still got results the other way but it worked a better when I did it daily (actually I did 6 days on, one day off).
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I am day 10 of the shred and my knees and lower back are aching. I would like to alternate it with another video or a light jog.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    it's a custom program, you can do it any way that works for you. IMO there is no 'wrong' way to do the shred. IF you do it at all, you will get more fit & toned.

PS - jumping jacks & butt kicks, protect your knees (that was the only real problem I had, besides actually getting up & doing it lol)

good luck!
  • falfal923
    falfal923 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I was doing the 30DS the first day my body was shaking from this workout. It was so intense for me. It was a good feeling so I decided to go for it the next day. I typically did about 4 or 5 days in a row and then a day break. I personally think its always good to have at least one day for rest per week. But remember that each person is different and you should listen to you body. Goodluck!
  • nirvana1
    Options
    I think you would still see good results if you do it every other day but Jillian kinda states that the point of the DVD is to change your body quickly, hence the everyday work out. I would just try it on the first day and see how you feel. You're not letting anyone down by not doing it everyday!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it 6 days on, 1 rest day.

Though I have yet to finish it...I always burn out about a week 1/2 into...I'm on round 4 of trying to get through all 30 days.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    30ds is high impact so yes, a rest day inbetween for yoga or whatever you prefer would be good. I did Zumba inbtween and it was great.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3 of the Shred and I have done it everyday. But...I do her Yoga Meltdown (it's kinda yoga and Pilates mixed with strength training thrown in there)* before I do the 30DS. Her warm up on the 30Ds isn't much of a warm up, especially if you have lower back issues (I do, big time) so the Meltdown gives me time to get my muscles warmed up and ready for the intensity of the 30DS.

*The Yoga Meltdown isn't easy, especially on your upper body is you don't have a lot of strength there. You could substitute with regular Pilates or spend at least a week just doing the Meltdown to give your body time to adjust, then add the 30DS.

Good luck!
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Taking into account your back issue I would say play it by ear!! See how you feel and just go carefully. You really don't want to damage anything further by rushing things.
    Most importantly you are doing some sort of work out on a regular basis I think is brilliant.
    All the best :flowerforyou:
  • cbmich1860
    cbmich1860 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am asking a stupid question but what is ds? Im assuming a work out but which one? Thanks!
  • TiffanyProjectMe
    Options
    You probably already got a reply back but just on case, ds, stands for Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD: Day Shred! I just started it and I think it should be DKYA for 30 Day Kick Your *kitten*! ;~)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm on day 12 of the shred...and i've done it consecutively which is the biggest shocker. actually, i had two days "off" in which the first day, i ran 3 miles with a friend and the second day i walked a 5K breast cancer charity walk. this is the most in shape i've been in my life. i was a casual elliptical-er and would do like 20 minutes of medium impact a couple times a week, like every other week. that does nothing, or rather, DID NOTHING for me.