Keeping Track of Running Distance

Emery313
Emery313 Posts: 33
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to ditch the treadmill and start running outside more often, but I usually take unmarked trails near my home so I have no idea how far I have gone. I've tried looking for GPS watches for women,but I havent really been able to find any. Does anyone know of a women's gps watch or some sort of distantce tracking watch that isnt a crazy amount of cash? Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• do you have a smart phone?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    I love my Garmin305.
    My hubby got it for me for Christmas last year but purchased it on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Not sure if this is what you want but it's a great site - runkeeper.com
  • I have an app for my phone its called Runkeeper and its fantastic and now also free. If you have a compatible phone I would definitely recommend it, I have been using it for a year and I love it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    a website called walkjog run helps you plan routes etc
  • I use Runtastic for free on my blackberry. Love it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Cardiotrainer is my favourite GPS running/walking/cycling app. If you don't have a smartphone, trace out your route on mapmyrun.com.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
    I use a pedometer to keep track.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    I use iMapMyRUN app on my phone...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    i use runnkeeper on my iphone and it is awesome! and free!!
  • I Love my Garmin FR60. Around $100
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    I have the Garmin 305 also that I bought on Amazon. I bought it this summer for $130 (now it's at $150) It's so worth every penny. I am still learning all the cool features it has. Runkeeper on the Iphone is cool too I just hate carrying the phone!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    I use www.mapmyrun.com on my computer after I run. There is an ap for smart phones for this site too! And its free! Been using it for the last 2 or 3 years. I've been looking getting the Garmin 305...waited too long, and now the price is going up, up, up on Amazon. Thinking the Christmas season is driving the price from $138 to $154 (just checked). Saw it up to $175 a couple days ago. Good luck and keep up the running!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    imapmyrun or runkeeper are great
  • Thanks for all the good information everyone! I will be definately looking into a few of those options. :happy:
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I love my Garmin305.
    My hubby got it for me for Christmas last year but purchased it on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.

This. A lot of bang for the buck. I love mine! I'm a bit OCD so I have an Android app I also record it in as well as a Windows program and 4 online places as well. Yes, I'm a dork. :/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I used Mapmyrun to calculate 1/4 mile increments as well as 1 mile laps near my home. I also use a pedometer (FitBit) to determine pace and distance and burn.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I have a Garmin 305 and I use runkeeper.

A couple others that I have come across that I liked. I don't use them only because I bought the paid subscription from runkeeper.

www.endomondo.com looks like it's a good one.
    www.dailymile.com looks really good too. I really like that they have a blogger widget.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Wait a couple weeks and the 305 should be cheaper again.

99% of the time, I run. Then I use google maps to figure out the distance and my pace after the fact. Total cost? $25 timex watch.
  • garmin 305 and using pace alert to make myself run faster!! Makes for tough runs.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Garmin Forerunner all the way.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    I just got a Garmin 210 and LOVE it!! I had tried using phone apps in the past, but my phone isn't as easily accessible/viewable while running, as having the watch on my arm. I have also previously used mapmyrun.com and other sites to pre-plan routes/mileage, but you can not beat the instant gratification and convenience of having the readout right on your wrist at any given moment. Get Garmin watch!! You will not be disappointed (as I had been with other apps and methods).
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Another Garmin fan here! I have the 205 (cheaper and I didn't feel the desire for a HRM anyway). I've had mine for about 14 months now and can't imagine how I ever ran without it!

I used to use the Nike +iPod and found it fairly unreliable (fluctuations due to temperature) and had to re-calibrate it all the time, plus when the shoe sensor batteries died they weren't replaceable so you had to buy a whole new one.
This discussion has been closed.