Frequent traveller and need your support!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm delighted to be joining everyone on their journey to being healthier people. I am a 43-year-old professional, married and a mother of two and I travel overseas alot from North America to Africa and Asia. I'm privileged to have a rewarding career but it carries alot of stress and is very difficult on the body. I am not a good exerciser, obviously love food (and am an emotional eater) and have gotten myself to a place that I just cannot believe, now weighing in at 260. So my goal is to drop 100 pounds, and its going to be a tough battle ahead.

I look forward to connecting with many of you as I think many of us have common stories. Most of all, I'm here to share my support and hope in turn you'll help keep me flying in the right direction as well. I welcome your ideas about keeping track of food on the road (especially between dramatic time zone shifts) and how you measure calories in different types of cuisine.

Safe and happy journeys to all!

Replies

• auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Welcome you can do this! Thank goodness for internet! And everyone here is all over the world too.
  • Lacole216
    Options
    Hi MommyT,
    I travel often myself and at times it can be hard to stay on course but recently I've been looking at my journey as one day at a time and it doesn't seem too overwhelming. I'm sure you will do just fine on working towards obtaining a healthier lifestyle for yourself. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like....we can work on keeping each other motivated.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I traveled a lot BC (before children) and what I learned was to hit the grocery store when I arrived. I cut back on expenses, but also restaurant calories. The worst for me was entertaining the client. Wine with dinner, after dinner drinks - all very glamorous but not on your waistline. I swapped my after dinner drinks for vodka & soda water (perrier), and would nurse a glass of wine through most of dinner. As for eating out think of getting a lean protein with lots of veges. Personally I'd stay away from the local starches, you don't know what they will do to you.
    I assume you likely have your laptop with you but bodyrock.tv is a good site to get some ideas for inroom workouts. 10 minutes before meetings, another 10 minutes before going out for dinner is totally doable.

Good luck!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi MommyT,

Welcome! I am 41 with two young childeren and a job that requires less travel than it used to, but I can certainly understand and relate to your struggles with trying to stay on a healthy track while travelling as I too have fought that fight... Would love to add you to my list of friends, I think we have quite a bit in common and can offer eachother mutual support. Do you work retail? I was a buyer for many years but switched over to the planning side due to consolidation, opportunity to move closer to family and my husband accepting a job that requires constant travelling...
  • Momt18
    Momt18 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your support and already excellent advice! I'm not in retail, I am international development and peace/conflict work and my laptop is superglued to me (though sadly, the weight of the laptop does not account for my overall weight). I'm going to check out bodyrock.tv tonight...I'd been looking for something that could motivate me in a hotel room. Cheers