Breastfeeding and weight loss...

Options
Hi all.I have been logging for 10 days, and I have lost five pounds. I am breastfeeding my seven month old. I weigh 270 lbs, and am allowed 1620 calories. I am waking up absolutely starving each morning, and go to bed hungry. However, in the past, if I add extra calories, I actually GAIN weight when breastfeeding. I have gained 15 pounds since baby was born.

I am trying to eat healthy, nutrient dense foods, eating all my calories (more or less) and drinking lots of water.
Thoughts?

Sheri

Replies

• JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hmm...maybe add 200 extra calories a day: a bowl of oatmeal before bed. It is filling and will help with supply! :-D

I had 1800 (I weighed about 175) and consistently lost- I know everyone is different, but EBF burns about 500 cals a day, which would make your bare minimum daily goal 1700 calories.

Make sure you are still taking prenatals or a multivitamin of some sort :-D
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I found I really gained weight when I was breastfeeding. You may need 500 calories extra to produce the milk but the problem is you have to do it every two hours, and it takes half an hour, and all you do is sit there - so I found apart from of course the magical wonderfulness of it all, I didn't like that it was so sedentary.

I think the only thing you can do is try to go for a walk /move around a bit in the 1.5 hours you aren't breastfeeding. As for waking up hungry and going to bed a bit hungry well you know what, thats a healthy thing I think its good to experience that - think hunger is your friend, its a healthy normal sensation which if you are used to overeating (as an overweight person) you are not familiar with. Its actually normal to wake up hungry - thats why you have breakfast!!!!

Its a natural body sensation that you need to reacquaint yourself with. IF you really can't handle the hunger snack on carrots or have an apple or some other high GSI super natural food.

I wish I could get to breastfeed again. (sigh).

gosh I just read your profile - 9 children!!! wow! thats certainly a challenge diet wise as well!!!

diary wise I think you could find you feel less hunger if you ate more really wholegrain cereals, try cooking a whole heap of brown rice and keeping it in a tupperware container in the fridge, have that with some lean protein and veges for lunch/dinner its good for keeping you feeling full for longer.
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    Breastfeeding can really take a lot of calories, however, you have been at it long enough to know how it affects your body. If adding more calories causes you to gain weight, then your only option is to stick to the allowance that works. 5 pounds lost in 10 days is basically the recommended weight loss....just a hint more lost. But you are hungry. Let me tell you, if I ate until I was satisfied, I would be huge. I am always hungry. What I do is just try to lessen my portions at meals so I can have more snacks and I try to eat a snack, usually popcorn, about 1.5 hours before bed. But I am still always hungry. I have faced the fact that that is my reality....which sucks but I like it better than the alternative.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding as well and I am not really losing too much, gained about 33 and already lost 25 and seem to be at a standstill. I am 6 weeks postpartum and I started working out at 3 weeks pp but I seem to have an issue with eating enough to keep my supply up. I take up to 2500 a day because any less than that seems like my supply goes down. Prolactin makes you hungrier and retain water. I am not sure about limiting calories while breastfeeding I have always been told not to... I started eating by cues and seem to be doing well on top of my workouts... I am tempted to say eat more in your case (at least 2000 cals) since you are BFing but I am not sure due to your weight. How tall are you? and have you discussed this with your doctor?
  • ang2001
    ang2001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding helped me lose weight right after I had my baby but I aslo gained 20 pounds over the course of the next year. I think it was the stress and then not having time. I know how you feel. It is natural to go to bed hungry and wake up hungry. I find I feel better than if I go to bed full and wake up full. Then I know I ate too much!!! I know I'm not offering much advice but I did want you to know you're not alone with it :)
  • SheriG9
    Options
    By waking up hungry I mean, shaking and lightheaded. I know that being grumbly is a good thing. I get up at 6am, after perhaps 5-6 hours of sleep. (yeah, I know I need more...) and I literally can't function till I eat something. How do I add calories to my tracker?

Sheri
  • bangel121
    Options
    I have the same problem. My baby is only 4 weeks old though. With my first I could not lose the weight for anything!! Right now I am just using this as a way to track my eating and get it under control to maintain my weight. I am so ready to lose it though...I was once a nice 160 fit and active... Now I'm 225 and tired all the time. I have found that 2100 calories sustains my weight so I have though maybe in an other month I might cut 250 calories a day, But not before breast feeding is well established. Maybe try and see what calorie range maintains you and then cut back slowly from there.

Goos luck!! :)
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know trying to lose weight is hard, i am usually hungry before bed too. Did you figure in the extra calories since your BF? I have a thyroid condition and I was actually starting to gain weight after I had my baby, but thats because I was eating freely, even though I was nursing, Im not nursing now, my baby is 7 months old. I eat around 1600 calories but thats partly because I burn 300-400 calories exercising. so your saying if you add more calories you would gain?? I would guess since you are nursing you would be ok with even 2000 calories?? Nursing in itself made me really hungry , so I ate and didnt lose! Of course factor in a thyroid problem and it meant I didnt lose not a pound since I left the hospital!! Make sure your blood work in normal, if so all I can say is follow MFP take a daily vitamin,cut the starches after 3pm , and walk , if you can and hopefully you will lose at a steady rate. You said you lost 5 lbs. in 10 days ? Thats good! MFP is great and their are good people here to help you if you need them