8 Vegetarian Options with more Protein than a burger

Options
I can across this article on Yahoo and it really surprised me to see some of the vegetables that have more protein than meat!
*Keep in mind that this is measured in grams of protein per calorie.*

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/8-veggies-nuts-and-grains-with-more-protein-than-a-burger-2596005/#photoViewer=8

Replies

• TimWeis75
    Options
    Misleading article is misleading.

You know how much of any of those items you have to eat to get the protein content of a 1/4lb beef patty? Nobody's stomach is that big.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm not eating 7 cups of broccoli or 50 spears of asparagus to equal a much more tasty burger.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The point of the article wasn't really that any one item should be eaten to replace a meat, like a burger. If you read to the end of the article, it suggested a sample meal combining several of those foods that would have just as much or more protein than a burger.

Besides protein content, the vegetarian sample meal would have far less fat, especially saturated, fewer calories and would be much more voluminous, which helps some people to feel fuller on fewer calories. Many times when people try to up their protein, they think they are restricted to chicken breasts and protein shakes. This article provided for alternatives to those options.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    The point of the article wasn't really that any one item should be eaten to replace a meat, like a burger. If you read to the end of the article, it suggested a sample meal combining several of those foods that would have just as much or more protein than a burger.

Besides protein content, the vegetarian sample meal would have far less fat, especially saturated, fewer calories and would be much more voluminous, which helps some people to feel fuller on fewer calories. Many times when people try to up their protein, they think they are restricted to chicken breasts and protein shakes. This article provided for alternatives to those options.

I agree. My family eats pescatarian most of the time, with myself leaning more toward vegetarian (when there's not a ****e ton of candy n my house from unholy trick or treating!!)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm not eating 7 cups of broccoli or 50 spears of asparagus to equal a much more tasty burger.

Yeah, I'm not eating a burger when I could eat almost infinite amounts of much more tasty veggies instead!

</ vegetarian stirring>