Exercises for a Stay At Home Mom

amdsdc
amdsdc Posts: 23
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a stay at home mom and I do not have access to a gym at this time. I do have an elliptical, so I am able to use that. What are some other exercises that I can do at home without a lot of equipment? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I stay at home with my kids during the day and I've had good results with dvds. Sometimes I'll even check my tv on demand (we have time warner) for some of their free videos. My favorite dvds are Jillian Michaels ones and all you need for those is 3 or 5lbs hand weights. I have a Biggest Loser Cardio Max dvd that you don't even need the hand weights for. My favorite Jillian ones are 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and Ripped in 30. Oh, and the banish fat one doesn't use any weights either and is a great workout.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Resistance bands can work wonders too
  • I'm not a stay at home dad but when I'm home my time is very limited and I want to spend all of it with my son. I've been rocking this - http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ - It doesn't require any equipment. I also throw in a walk/jog. You'll feel this one working for sure!
  • amdsdc
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • AmberMarie09
    AmberMarie09 Posts: 70 Member
    I take my daughter on a walk.. i put her in the stroller and just walk as fast as i feel comfortable for about an hour a day
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Agree about Gillian Michaels. Also try zumba and Leslie Sansones dvd's
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Resistance Bands are good. Anything Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper are good too. It all depends on the amount of time you have to put towards your workouts. there are awesome videos that incorporate cardio and strength training offered through beachbody such as turbofire and chalean extreme. My husband is a stay at home dad and is always telling me with his school work, house work and taking care of the kids he doesn't have time for 30 min videos so he is starting the 10 min trainer.
  • amdsdc
    I am able to squeeze in time here and there, but my daughter still naps, so I have a solid 2 hours every day which I can use for myself and workouts and such.
  • 1toInfinity
    1toInfinity Posts: 68 Member
    I have 2 kids (3 and 2) and I have had success with dvds and my elliptical. I use Jillian Micheals and Biggest Loser dvd's. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with my third child, I do Yoga, walking, strength, and my elliptical. All I own is dvds, 3lb weights, 5lbs weights, elliptical, and an exercise ball.

My daughter doesnt nap everyday but my son does. Normally I workout while he naps becuase my daughter behaves a little better when he is asleep. But I had a late lunch (while my son was napping) so I have to wait til my husband gets home to exercise.
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    I would for sure try some of Jillian Michaels DVDs =] And Zumba or Turbo Jam if you can, those are fun for me so I don't lose my motivation =]
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    When my wife goes to the store or to lunch with a friend, I stay home with my kids. When she gets home a couple hours later, I'm exhausted.

How do you stay at home mom's have the energy to actually work out during the day? Keeping my kids from hurting each other or themselves for a couple hours is mentally and physically taxing enough.

Maybe it's a 'mom' thing.
This discussion has been closed.