Bread and Sandwich Meats and Cheeses

Options
Aiming for 60g of carbs a day and I need to try to get the lowest GI foods I can get.

Recommend some specific types of bread. I don't mind breads that have other types of oats/grains and such in them either. There's so many different kinds that it makes my head spin.

Recommendations for Cheeses and Meats that are healthier options would be awesome as well. I usually get some roast beef and swiss.

I'm about to head to the store in a few minutes~

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 60g of carbs a day and I need to try to get the lowest GI foods I can get.

Recommend some specific types of bread. I don't mind breads that have other types of oats/grains and such in them either. There's so many different kinds that it makes my head spin.

Recommendations for Cheeses and Meats that are healthier options would be awesome as well. I usually get some roast beef and swiss.

do you have any medical disorders that you are going low carb and shooting for low GI foods?
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What about wraps? I'm not exactly sure about the health benefits, but they have to be lower in carbs right? I had a spinich wrap the other day that was really good. Maybe I'll have to go look up the nutritional value on them.

• tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    as bad as processed lunch meats are for you; i really enjoy applegate fresh meats. look into them :)
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You could use lettuce instead of bread. What about pumpernickel bread?
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I love deli fresh 94 percent fat free roast beef. its awesome. As far as 60 carbs a day? Honestly I think the only way you are going to hit that goal is to drop bread, pasta, and rice. I haven't been eating any of these and my carbs are still in the high 90's
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Any of the low sodium meats.. Instead of bread how about romaine lettuce or a bigger leaf.. Another option would be to get the deli to slice your meat a little thicker and use that as the bread :) just wrap all your sandwich goodies on the inside :) I love doing this when i take a low carb day :)
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options

do you have any medical disorders that you are going low carb and shooting for low GI foods?

+1
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try the Mission Carb Balance Tortillas. They have different sizes and white vs. wheat. I buy the small/fajita sized wheat ones - 80 calories, 13g carbs - 10g fiber = 3 net carbs. My husband likes the bigger ones, medium/soft taco flour - 120 calories, 19g carbs - 13g fiber = 6 net carbs. Very good (they don't taste like cardboard)! These are great with lettuce, tomatoes, deli meat, chesse and whatever else you put on your sandwiches.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I am not a low carb eater, but I really like their sprouted 7-grain and wheat breads. 7g carbs, 3g fiber per 60 cal slice.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What about wraps? I'm not exactly sure about the health benefits, but they have to be lower in carbs right? I had a spinich wrap the other day that was really good. Maybe I'll have to go look up the nutritional value on them.

Most wraps/tortillas are just as bad if not worse than bread. Don't be fooled. If you like it go for it...but it's no less in calories/carbs unless you get something specifically low carb/calorie.
  • lemonlimecrime
    lemonlimecrime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use Sara Lee 45 Calorie & Delightful slices in whole wheat. I believe two slices are 19 grams of carb.
  • Syntria
    Syntria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @Acg67 I'm PCOS and Pre-Diabetic so yeah. I actually read that as 'mental disorders' at first and was like wait is he calling me retarded? Then I reread it, haha.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oscar Meyer has some low fat smoked ham and smoked turkey. They are 97% fat free and 4 slices have a total of 50 calories.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Oscar Meyer has some low fat smoked ham and smoked turkey. They are 97% fat free and 4 slices have a total of 50 calories.
    Fat is not the enemy for one. And for 2...what is 'bad' in lunch meats is the very high sodium, not the fat. Look for low sodium options.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Check out the Weight Watchers bread - it's pretty low. And Arnold's multi grain breads and sandwich thins are pretty good.
  • Syntria
    Options
    Honestly I haven't considered using Lettuce as the 'bread' before. This sounds rather interesting. Seriously contemplating it now. I've never really made 'wraps' before so I'm not experienced with it.
  • Syntria
    Options
    @Killagb - Yeah, I don't need to avoid fats at all. :) My main enemies right now are sodium and sugar/carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Try the Mission Carb Balance Tortillas. They have different sizes and white vs. wheat. I buy the small/fajita sized wheat ones - 80 calories, 13g carbs - 10g fiber = 3 net carbs. My husband likes the bigger ones, medium/soft taco flour - 120 calories, 19g carbs - 13g fiber = 6 net carbs. Very good (they don't taste like cardboard)! These are great with lettuce, tomatoes, deli meat, chesse and whatever else you put on your sandwiches.
    I use the Mission Balance tortillas as well as romaine lettuce to wrap meats and cheese. I've also had the Flat Out Flat Wraps which if I remember correctly were about 8 grams of carbs. One thing to watch with deli meat and cheese is the amount of sodium. I'd stick to non-processed meats, if possible. A better alternative might be to buy a pre-cooked turkey breast and slice it yourself. Wrapping is easy. Just put all of the filling on one half of the wrap and roll it up from the filling side so you can a complete layer on the outside of just the wrap. If you want, you can fold up one of the open sides over the filling then eat from the other side so stuff doesn't spill out of the bottom while you eat.

Something else to try is canned tuna. Today for lunch I am having 6 ounces of solid albacore (in water), 2 celery stalks and 2 tablespoons of light miracle whip. I eat the tuna salad with the celery stalks, no bread required. It has 6 grams of fat, 6 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber and 40 grams of protein for 5 net grams of carbs. It'd be even less carbs if I used regular mayo but I like the tang of Miracle Whip.
  • Syntria
    Options
    Alright, it's settled. I'm going to get some lettuce to make my sandwich with. My fiance won't eat whole wheat bread so we end up throwing half of it out anyways, and I don't really do toast or anything to often. Thanks guys for the brilliant idea.

This is a wonderful forum. You all are so active and have such great (and different) advice :D
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I also use green & red peppers to scoop up canned in water tuna fish with 1T of light miracle whip. You could also just put your bread in the freezer and take out the slice or two a day that you are using. When I use bread I make my sandwich in the am while I'm packing my lunch and by lunch time the bread is defrosted.