Poor eating habits.

Options
dls06
dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
Now that you are trying to make better choices, what do you think when you see overweight shoppers in the grocery store and their carts are filled with soda, processed and junk food?
When you put your groceries on the belt, are you proud of your choices?

Do you look at people differently when you see them pull out food stamps? Does it bother you that there aren't rules to the program that only allow healthy food?

I was at the grocery store and could not help inspecting the carts around me. No wonder we are so over weight as a society.
And it really kills me when I see them pull out food stamps.:noway:

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing about overweight shoppers as I do about underweight shoppers who are filling their carts with ****. "That sucks for them"

Food stamps only bother me when I see my tax money going into red bull and candy. If they legit need food stamps and are feeding their families then I fine with it. Its when they buy **** with food stamps and tvs with unemployment insurance that really piss me off.
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    That is a serious social issue.
    I wonder why healthy food is getting more expansive than fast food. It also cooporate for poor quality meals.
  • Mamato3cubs
    Options
    I do look at others carts, It makes me more aware of my choices. My husband thinks there should be restrictions on food stamps. I am a little more flexible. The biggest problem is a lot of people can't cook, so they rely on processed foods. I think that DSS should offer cooking classes, as well as community centers where it is open to public free of charge. I don't think that will every happen due to the expense it would cause. I volunteer at my local food pantry, you would be amazed at the amount of people who do not want rice (for example), they are usually looking for something processed (quick and easy)
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I really try not to judge others in that way. I don't want people to judge me for what I have had in my cart in the past.

It's a choice what you buy and put in your body, and it's my choice to make better healthy decisions for me.

As far as the food stamps, yes that does bother me. There should be better control on what is bought, like giving specific vouchers for milk, bread, beans, rice, etc, instead of just giving them a blank check so to speak to buy anything they want. If the taxpayers have to pay for it then we should have a say. Just my 2 cents.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I think it's none of our business what people buy. It's there life and they can decide how to live it. I hate going shopping because people are so judgmental.
    I'm not ashamed of what i buy i just hate being judged because people assume just because your fat you eat like a cow. People need to understand some people gain weight easy from Health conditions such as thyroid or insulin resistance or on cancer treatment that causes weight gain. and so on. again none of my business what people buy or if they are on food stamps. Don't let it bother you.

I don't want people telling me how to live my life. oh boy i better not get started on politics now !
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing about overweight shoppers as I do about underweight shoppers who are filling their carts with ****. "That sucks for them"

Food stamps only bother me when I see my tax money going into red bull and candy. If they legit need food stamps and are feeding their families then I fine with it. Its when they buy **** with food stamps and tvs with unemployment insurance that really piss me off.

Agreed 100%!
    It doesn't matter if you're fat or thin- eating bad food makes for an unhealthy body. A 250 pound person could be healthier than a 150 pound person- it's all about how you treat your body.
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I look in carts too. And I'm embarassed when I anything crappy in my cart.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this has to do with education about picking healthy food choices. I've learned about how and what to eat in college. I'm a first generation student and came from a single parent home and we never ate healthy, but when I lived with my mother and I didn't feel like I was eating unhealthy. We ate salads, hamburgers, spaghetti, fruit, chicken and so on, but the problem now looking back is that I would dump ranch all over my salad and dip my pizza in it. My mom would make this really good but probably extremeley greasey sauce on my hamburger with swiss cheese and non-organic ketchup. Our chicken would be bathes in barbecue sauce and she'd keep the fat on it for flavor. Also my mother would make creamcheese dips to dip our fruit in. I didn't realize till I came to college what exactly I had been eating all those years and what I needed to do to fix it.

I try not to judge people when I go to the store and see what other people are buying because everyone has their own circumstance and quite frankly I think it comes down to education and whether or not your willing to educate yourself, right now when I talk to my mother about these things she doesn't want to listen to so I think something may have to happen in her life that will make her want to educate herself and eat healthier.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is a serious social issue.
    I wonder why healthy food is getting more expansive than fast food. It also cooporate for poor quality meals.

Fresh food isn't as subsidized by the US Govt. as corn is. Therefore, corn is "cheap" and made into HFC - high fructose corn syrup which is a sweetener for EVERYTHING.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    People look at my shopping cart and wonder who am I shopping for. I buy "garbarge" according to most fitness gurus.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Now that you are trying to make better choices, what do you think when you see overweight shoppers in the grocery store and their carts are filled with soda, processed and junk food?

I dont really care what other people put in their grocery cart.

I don't really take pride in food choices, honestly. At least, not on any significant level.

Do you look at people differently when you see them pull out food stamps? Does it bother you that there aren't rules to the program that only allow healthy food?

No and no.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As somone who has used foodstamps i do not think more regulations should be put on what you can buy with them.there are too many variations on what healthy means. Wic used the check system. I definately got healthier food with fs than with wic because i had more of a choice.
    When you know better, you do better
    We need to focus on education and stopping judgment. Pay attention to your own damn cart
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I live in Mississippi, the state with the highest rate of obesity. I see tons of people with their carts packed high, sometimes they have two carts because the processed food boxes take up so much space. (One time I saw a cart with ALL meat. No veggies or fruit or anything. I was hoping it was for a party.) I see people looking at the fitness magazines, then throw it on top of their boxes of swiss cakes or honey buns. I've had people stare at my cart (it is normally only full enough to cover the bottom and the little kid seaty thingy.)
    I try not to judge. I want to educate, but most people are very sensitive about those type of subjects. I just hope they find their way by asking someone or educating themselves. This is one of the main resons I am going to school here to be a Registered Dietician. I want to help people that want to be helped or to even just get some more education about it so they can make educated decisions about food.
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I dont really care what other people put in their grocery cart.

I don't really take pride in food choices, honestly. At least, not on any significant level.

No and no.

^
    This!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    No, I don't judge. Food is a CHOICE. It's not just about what you put in your body - it's also about culture, morals, learning, etc.

This is an interesting article: http://www.mises.ca/posts/articles/all-power-to-the-poutine/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think the same thing that I think when I see a thin person with junk in their buggy. That they either don't care enough about themselves or their families to feed them right, or they are too lazy to bother learning what healthy food is.
  • dls06
    Options
    I think a lot of this has to do with education about picking healthy food choices. I've learned about how and what to eat in college. I'm a first generation student and came from a single parent home and we never ate healthy, but when I lived with my mother and I didn't feel like I was eating unhealthy. We ate salads, hamburgers, spaghetti, fruit, chicken and so on, but the problem now looking back is that I would dump ranch all over my salad and dip my pizza in it. My mom would make this really good but probably extremeley greasey sauce on my hamburger with swiss cheese and non-organic ketchup. Our chicken would be bathes in barbecue sauce and she'd keep the fat on it for flavor. Also my mother would make creamcheese dips to dip our fruit in. I didn't realize till I came to college what exactly I had been eating all those years and what I needed to do to fix it.

I try not to judge people when I go to the store and see what other people are buying because everyone has their own circumstance and quite frankly I think it comes down to education and whether or not your willing to educate yourself, right now when I talk to my mother about these things she doesn't want to listen to so I think something may have to happen in her life that will make her want to educate herself and eat healthier.

I really do think Nutrition should be taught from an early age and not just a college elective. I know my eyes were opened just logging in my food choices over time. What a difference it would have made if we had this knowledge years ago.
  • dls06
    Options
    I look in carts too. And I'm embarassed when I anything crappy in my cart.
    I feel like that too. I am so paranoid wondering if someone from fitness pal is behind me in line.:laugh:
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to say that I've NEVER eyeballed someone else's cart. I mean, when I'm at the checkout I see what they purchase, but I shop at a local grocery where lots of itty bitty old people shop and they always eat healthy/buy small amounts of things. We could learn from old folks, actually.

Sometimes I see people buy a giant 24-pack of canned beer. Then, I'm just jealous.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Food stamps don't bother me so much. That said, I was in the grocery store with my son a few years ago and there was a woman in front of us who was obviously new to the WIC program. She had purchased the things she was allowed to with voucher with the exception of the peanut butter. She had a store brand on the belt and was told by the cashier that the voucher wasn't good for the store brand, she had to buy Jif or Skippy. As the bagger ran to the peanut butter aisle to get her the proper jar, my son looked at me and said "Someone on a food program gets brand name peanut butter but I have to eat the store brand? How fair is that?" And he was right. It really bothers me that the WIC administrators don't think that store brand peanut butter is good enough and are willing to pay the extra dollar or so it costs for name brands. That's my tax money... and I usually buy the store brand.