Exercise for a knee injury?

Options
Can anyone help me?

yesterday I walked, today I tried dancing a little, but my knee feels like its just gonna give out and I don't know what to do. All I can do is walk I guess. But I'm wondering if anyone else has a knee injury what kind of exercises did you do?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ronney

Replies

• iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Walking...into the doctor's office works for most people. I would strongly advise this.
  • heatherisom
    heatherisom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I hurt my knee last week and walking is about all I can do. I am going to the doctor next week for it. Riding my bike on flat land seems to be okay also.
  • bookdame
    Options
    Hi! I injured my knee running a month ago and saw a physical therapist.

She had me do 3 thirty second "wall sits", and these ankle eversions/inversions:
    http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8115850/ankle-strengthening-exercises-ankle-rehabilitati.htm

She also had me do an exericse where
    I sit with my back against a wall, tilt my right foot to point toward 1:00pm; then lift that leg slowly up, and lower slowly. do this 2sets of 10.

These are knee/ankle strengthening exercises. I also recommend you strengthen your quads and hamstrings to SUPPORT your knee.

I'm almost completely better. Don't forget to give you knee an ice massage every night for 5 minutes (take a large ice cube, and rub around your knee where it hurts).

$145 visit to the PT the above is what I learned. If it hurts in 3 weeks still, see a PT or orthopedist.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've been to the Dr. and everything. It just sucks when he says "stay off it, let it heal, don't stress it out, blah blah blah" LOL

I guess I just have to walk. Thats about all I can do at the moment and I need to be okay with that. I think if I had a stationary bike I would be ok. But alas, I do not hehe... time to walk I suppose!

Ronney
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of injury you have...you said it feels like your knee is going to give out? But is it painful? When my ACL was torn, my knee would buckle a lot but it never hurt. The best thing for that kind of injury (i.e. ligaments stretched or torn) is strengthening your quads, hamstrings and calves, and also getting a good brace.
  • juicyfruit85
    juicyfruit85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just recently started having knee issues, due to multiple injuries. My workout is pretty intense, Turbo Fire. I've been fine until a couple of days ago. I'm worried I'll back slide on my workouts and calorie burn :(. I hear water aerobics works? I see cycling, low impact, stationary maybe works as well. I guess I'll just have to switch it up. A trip to the doctor sounds good too! Good luck everyone!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just recently started having knee issues, due to multiple injuries. My workout is pretty intense, Turbo Fire. I've been fine until a couple of days ago. I'm worried I'll back slide on my workouts and calorie burn :(. I hear water aerobics works? I see cycling, low impact, stationary maybe works as well. I guess I'll just have to switch it up. A trip to the doctor sounds good too! Good luck everyone!
    After a shoulder operation, I did hydrotherapy - exercises in water, as prescribed by a physiotherapist. I think that might work. However aqua aerobics (which I then took up) is extremely vigorous (perhaps too vigorous for someone with a knee injury).