Question for anyone who has 100lbs or more to lose

Options
My husband and I both have appproximately 100lbs to lose..each. We are going to be taking martial arts classes. Should we be too concerned about all this heavy working out and the pressure on our joints? That is my main concern, but I think I may be looking for excuses to baby my big body. :) LOL

Replies

• jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You never know what your body can do until you actually try it. I was worried that I could not handle P90X at my weight and boy was I wrong.
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started Kickboxing when I was around 250 pounds, it was hard but I got though it and I have been going 2 times a week, every week for the past 4 months. Along with eating healthy and other forms of exercise I am now down to 217.

It might be really rough at first but just don't give up and you will do great!!! :)
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Id be more concerned about what not losing the weight is doing to your body. You will have pain, but your joints and all should be used to carrying you around and will only get stronger and healthier.
  • vnelson17
    Options
    I lost about 100 pounds and still have 75 more to go. I started at 360lbs. I did a lot of working and water exercises at first. When I got to a little under 300 I did kickboxing and was fine. Go at your own pace! You can do it!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started at 374, now at 300. I have used Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing and MMA training since the beginning. It's fun and a great workout!
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just do something together that you enjoy doing and will be motivated to keep doing.... Good Luck.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    At 270+ I started doing kickboxing and Turbo Kick and Zumba. It was rough at first (still is sometimes). If you have decent instructors they can help you find a low impact adaptation of most exercises. Just get in there and give it a try!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have no clue about martial arts. I'd love to do that too and I have a large amount of weight I'm working on losing. I think with anything you just need to know the difference between IT HURTS and IT BURNS.

I will tell you that I have been shocked and amazed at what my body can do. Sometimes I have to literally close my eyes and do it...I'm closing my eyes because I'm fighting against myself to stop. Your body can do a lot. If you learn your body, you'll learn what you can and can't do. Just don't sell yourself short. Push yourself. Your body will be sore...but I've actually grown to love that. If I have a day I don't feel sore, I don't like it. And I've had some injuries, a knee hurting for a few days, an elbox hurting, hamstring issues...just work around it, don't let it get you down and just keep moving! Good luck to you! I hope it goes well.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sure... hardcore exercise kicks your butt when you start out but just stick with it and you will be fine. I do P90X, and Kempo-X is about my favorite workout. Punching and kicking WITH INTENSITY is an awesome workout. Good luck and have fun.

Also, I assume you are here because you are doing the whole package of exercise AND diet... Calories in (Good, clean calories) and calories burned need to be tracked and considered or no exercise program will work.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've already shed over 100 pounds so I will let you know what I learned based on my own experience:

You really won't know if it's too much unless/until you try it.

At my heaviest, all I could really manage was walking around my neighborhood and doing water aerobics, but I tried Zumba for the first time after I had shed about 30-ish pounds and loved it. I wasn't light on my feet and certainly had to work harder to do a lot of the moves, but it wasn't too hard on my body.

Running was too hard on my knees, but other people I know had no problem with running even when they were really heavy.

At this point, I am at a fit and healthy weight and can do most exercises, but I don't think there were many that were impossible or harmful even at my heaviest.

Try some different things and see what works for you.
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    I have worked at martial arts with my brother who teaches it. I just stepped down the intensity and was cautious with any move that but undue pressure on my knees. Something else you might try is getting in a swimming pool two or three times a week. Even if you are just treading water it helps loosen up those joints, and it is a completely non-impact exercise as well. It will help increase your endurance, as well as your strength for the martial arts. Then as your weight comes down you can move more into the martial arts practice. Good luck!
  • Liznia
    Liznia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is listen to your body. That is your best guide. I love high intensity workouts, unfortunately I have bad knees, arthiritis and a spine injury, which I thought would be detremental to my weightloss process. I was wrong. I did kickboxing, and completed classes doing alternative moves. Instead of jumping, (which I can't for the life of me) I tap, still moving. The moves I couldn't do, I kept marching. As long as you keep moving, you will do fine. As you lose weight, movement is easier. I can now skip without pain. Stay strong and positive, and listen to your body. Good luck!!
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking at 298 pounds and my legs were killing for a while, but your body adjusts. Just don’t use the weight as an excuse not to do it. You will be surprised at how strong you really are. GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH!:wink:
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Id be more concerned about what not losing the weight is doing to your body. You will have pain, but your joints and all should be used to carrying you around and will only get stronger and healthier.

Could not agree more!!! I started out at 235 lbs. I used my weight as an excuse.... I even used my rather healthy chest as an excuse..lol. Ultimately, my daughter put her foot down and said "this IS going to happen". I listened to my body...started jogging 30 seconds at a time....gradually increased it over the course of the past 8 months. 2 weeks ago I ran my first 5k! I have litterally ran my butt off (not to mention 90 lbs)! If anything is gonna help you on this journey, it is gonna be movement and plenty of it. Without my exercise I would flat starve to death on my daily allowance of calories. I love FOOD! I now realize it is not the enemy as long as I'm putting out more than I'm taking in.

Pay attention to your body! Staying very hydrated is the best way to prevent injury to muscles and joints. There are also specific excersises you can do for the particular muscles and, and yes, even joints that will be taking the brunt of your workouts. Look them up online or ask your doc. Good luck on your journey. You will get there before you know it!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    If your tired rest, if your not tired, keep going, if something hurts stop... it's all about your body, but don't mistake a good workout exhaustion for "my body is too tired"
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You don't know what you can do until you try!! I get pains in my knee and back but I am careful with what I do when I get those pains! A few months ago I tried running and there was just no way! But now I am 16lb lighter and muchmuch fitter from going to the gym regularly I can run without it causing me pain in my knees or shins! What you can do will change but you wont know you can do it until you try!! And believe me that first time when you do something that you couldn't before it is a fantastic feeling!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Unless you have prior injuries (like bad ones), I wouldn't worry about it. The instructor will help you around moves that are to difficult. I get really sore knees easy, so I just go with the flow, and alternate exercises that puts pressure on them and ones that don't.
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Not only do we get to take the classes with the kiddos but we also get use of the entire sports complex, which is a plus because it is literally across the street where we live.