Insanity: Asylum Question

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
I just started Asylum today, it's a 30 day program. My question is - I'm also a runner and will be maintaining my running through the program. What I did in Insanity and it worked, was I skipped a workout a week and ran a long run instead. But as Asylum is a little more intense, I'm curious if I should not "skip" the work out - but do my run instead, and pick up where I left off. So it would be a longer program, but I would not be "missing" any days as I did with Insanity.

Any suggestions? I'm really hoping this gets my body fat % down to where I want to be. I typically gain weight on Insanity when I do it, I'm hoping that doesn't happen on Asylum.

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    asylum was really too easy, i had to supp in insanity. Running shouldnt hurt you as long as youre eating well, but dont be too shocked if 30 days later there arent many changes. I was annoyed with the program.
  • Jdr8023
    Options
    I havent done Asylum yet but Insanity is crazy insane so I only could imagine. I personally would skip the recovery videos each week and do either a weights routine, a long run or pullups ,pushups and dip routine. Some weeks I would replace it with a pure cardio or Max cardio. I work out on a 7 day basis, my body doesnt really need rest! Shaun T's videos with proper diet can truly get you to a ultimate fitness ability. That being said I think no matter what you do as long as you stay with the videos 5, 6 days and run one of the days you will be in ridiculous shape. Diet is KEY !

Good Luck
    ps I dont know I how troll thought Asylum was easy bc from the looks of it and the videos on you tube everyone else is saying its Insanity Cubed.

JDR
  • carloP90X
    Options
    take out back to core and run on those days
  • nukebhs83
    Options
    this is just my opinion---dont get your drawers in a knot and gripe about my response. :)

i dont like all of the asylum dvds and i am a grad of insanity and p90x/ shaun t is not friendly in this one/ he is kind of an *kitten*/ no ones form is correct/ several of the people are not actually doing the moves that you are supposed to be doing etc. i love game day and a couple of other dvds but otherwise i feel asylum is a waste of money. the ladder just really gets in the way---i put duct tape on the floor because there isnt any way that you wont hit that darn thing and i am more interested in getting the form right than getting 30-40 reps or having to do 20 pushups every move. :/
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    this is just my opinion---dont get your drawers in a knot and gripe about my response. :)

i dont like all of the asylum dvds and i am a grad of insanity and p90x/ shaun t is not friendly in this one/ he is kind of an *kitten*/ no ones form is correct/ several of the people are not actually doing the moves that you are supposed to be doing etc. i love game day and a couple of other dvds but otherwise i feel asylum is a waste of money. the ladder just really gets in the way---i put duct tape on the floor because there isnt any way that you wont hit that darn thing and i am more interested in getting the form right than getting 30-40 reps or having to do 20 pushups every move. :/

The only reason why my "drawers" would be in a knot is you didn't answer my question and simply provided your own rant about the product. I didn't ask whether or not I should buy it - I ask for suggestions on training. Thanks anyway, I guess. I will decide on my own after I finish the program whether your post changes my perspective.
  • nukebhs83
    Options

The only reason why my "drawers" would be in a knot is you didn't answer my question and simply provided your own rant about the product. I didn't ask whether or not I should buy it - I ask for suggestions on training. Thanks anyway, I guess. I will decide on my own after I finish the program whether your post changes my perspective.

you are absolutly right and i apologize. i hope you have tons of results. :)
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the other workouts yet as I wanted to do Insanity first, but the "Strength" workout is not only killer, it's one of my favourite DVD workouts ever. I try and do it every week (amongst the millions of other things I do)....
  • Jdr8023
    Options

• Jdr8023
    Options
    Ladder drills are designed for fast, quick in and out side to side foot movement. Professional football, basketball and track athletes use these drills for extreme quickness. So if the ladder is getting in your way that means that you are not doing it right ! You may need to slow down and do it at a slower pace.
  • Troll
    Options
    Ladder drills are designed for fast, quick in and out side to side foot movement. Professional football, basketball and track athletes use these drills for extreme quickness. So if the ladder is getting in your way that means that you are not doing it right ! You may need to slow down and do it at a slower pace.

Hey, i'm her daughter-she didn't mean they get in the way in the sense that you trip over them-we just didn't have enough room in the living room for the ladder :) If we did moving pushups we hit the couch with our ankles, if we did long jumps we landed in the hallway (if we got lucky). It was just inconvinient :)

The only thing i found hard about Asylum was the jumprope-i apparently suck at jumproping, haha!
  • Troll
    Options

Good Luck
    ps I dont know I how troll thought Asylum was easy bc from the looks of it and the videos on you tube everyone else is saying its Insanity Cubed.

JDR

[/quote

Taht's what i thought too, it just really let me down. It's longer, sure-but adding mountain climber arms to swtich kicks isn't really any more difficult. If you've already done insanity it's like taking three steps backwards. It's not really faster, the moves are almost identical to insanity, and it's not a circuit in most of the videos. So, yeah-i just stick with insanity and p90x, but i will add game day and overtime in every once in a while (strength would be awesome but my tiny little hands cant grab the ends of a 25lb dumbell and anything lighter feels like a waste of my time, i don't even get sweaty :( )
  • nukebhs83
    Options

Hey, i'm her daughter-she didn't mean they get in the way in the sense that you trip over them-we just didn't have enough room in the living room for the ladder :) If we did moving pushups we hit the couch with our ankles, if we did long jumps we landed in the hallway (if we got lucky). It was just inconvinient :)

The only thing i found hard about Asylum was the jumprope-i apparently suck at jumproping, haha!

thank you kelsi for defending me--:) i apologized for what i said/ she was absolutely right about my post. i am doing asylum ladder drills slower so i can get the form correct---i prefer correct form over quantity of reps. i did not mean to sound so terrible in the original post and left out a few words to the "drawers" in a knot comment---it was not meant to be directed at the original poster. again---SORRY. DIDNT MEAN THE POST THE WAY IT CAME ACROSS.