Going gluten free... need food ideas

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
According to my doctor, I have apparently developed a gluten intolerance (because apparently being allergic to milk isn't restrictive enough lol).

That seems to be the root of my recent tummy issues and, in the past week or so of avoiding gluten, I do feel much better.

Other than a deep and abiding love for Kashi GoLean, an occasional piece of whole grain toast is the only other thing I think I will really miss.

Because of my milk allergy, I am already used to reading the labels on EVERYTHING and also to making a lot of foods from scratch (I eat very few "processed" foods).

Still, I would love some quick, easy recipes or even just links to websites that have good gluten free ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump; i have been considering going gluten free to see if it gets rid of my migraines....curious to know some recipes =)
  • phisig3sum
    Options
    Try the Paleo Diet. It is all gluten and dairy free. www.paleoplan.com has over 200 recipes for every meal of the day. They give you a 14 day free trial and you have access to all the recipes. :drinker:
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'M GLUTEN FREE AND LOVE IT!
    LOT'S OF MEXICAN AND ASIAN FOOD IS GREAT FOR THIS DIET
    AS A WAY TO EASE IN I HIGHLY SUGGEST TRYING AMY'S GLUTEN FREE FROZEN MEALS
    BOBS RED MILL HAS THE BEST MIXES I THINK
    GLUTINO MAKES SOME DECENT PRETZELS
    N'JOY LIFE HAS YUMMY SOFT COOKIES
    ANY BREAD YOU BUY WILL PRETTY MUCH SUCK UNLESS YOU TOAST IT LOL (IT'S THE TRUTH)
    RICE NOODLES ARE GREAT
    MAKE SURE YOU PIC UP GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCES, DRESSING ETC.
    RICE CAKES
    PEANUT BUTTER
    FRUITS VEGGIES
    OATMEAL (MAKE SURE IT'S GLUTEN FREE)
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do eggs for breakfast with fruit, lunch is usually a salad with some sort of meat. Snacks are Luna bars and veggies. Supper is meat, veg, and fruit combo. Late night snack is usually popcorn =)
  • Dangerously15
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and gluten intolerant too! great to have someone else here like me, exept I had to cut out sugars too.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Luckily for you, there are many more aware people today and thus tons more food options.

First, I would recommend checking out the grocery store for gluten free flour options - play around with recipes and you'll be able to replicate almost anything. Bob's Red Mill is a great brand to start with.

Second, chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some good dessert options on her blog and she's always dairy free.

Third, most real food is still good for you - stuff like baked chicken, fish, shrimp, etc and of course there are "Grain alternatives" like quiona that you can try out. Instead of coating meats and such with bread crumbs, try nuts like ground almonds, peanuts, and macadamia nuts.

Instead of cereal, you might be able to eat oatmeal (sometimes it is processed in a wheat facility, try with care) and here are some other breakfast ideas: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/321641

While it sounds hard, it's probably not as bad as you might think, just let people know and be open to discussing it!

There are tons of posts on here for support as well.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid gluten, i am fortunate enough to not have any allergies (knock on wood). However, my favorite cracker is by Crunchmaster, and they are Gluten Free. Multi-Seed Crackers are what they are called. 130 calories in 15 crackers (not bad). I always take them to parties and people rave about them. I get mine at Costco, but they are also at WalMart. Good luck!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    KIND bars rock my socks off for gym snacks. All gluten-free.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cory- How did they find out that you have a glutten intolerance.

I think I am developing Celiac disease, but other than a terribly upset stomach after eating a dinner roll, I'm not sure.

Lot's of good ideas thanks for posting! :)
  • Gabby215
    Options
    I follow the Primal Blueprint and often go to a site called Mark's Daily Apple. There are loads of recipes there and also in the forum. If you sign up for his free newsletter you will also be send two reader-created cookbooks (they are PDFs) and those will give you loads of ideas. I guess you are also not eating cheese? Some of the recipes include cheese but you can always substitute for that and maybe use a lactose-free product.

I also LOVE my bread and toast but now after not having it for a while, I don't miss it that much. When I do need a crunch I make primal crackers (found the recipe in one of those cookbooks) - put two cups of seeds/nuts into a food processor and blend till it looks like flour (you can do it by hand if you don't have a food processor. I usually use a cup of sunflower seed and a cup of sesame seeds but sometimes I experiment and use cashews, pistachios or almonds). Then add water while in the final stage of grinding till it looks like a paste - you can add spices here too like S&P, garlic, whatever you want. Roll out the mixture between two pieces of parchment paper then take off the top piece. Score into squares and bake in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. These are great when I want cheese and crackers or I'm having tuna and want something crunchy!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My MIL is allergic to wheat so she automatically follows a gluten free diet. She also follow atkins (before the naysayers chime in, she's lost over 70 lbs, dropped her BP and dropped her cholesterol by 100 points), so she eats a lot of whole foods like chicken, beef, etc. She eats a lot of salads and veggies, nuts, fruits, yogurts, etc.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you can make lots of "breads" using rice flour! an old boyfriend of mine was gluten free.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    My MIL is allergic to wheat so she automatically follows a gluten free diet. She also follow atkins (before the naysayers chime in, she's lost over 70 lbs, dropped her BP and dropped her cholesterol by 100 points), so she eats a lot of whole foods like chicken, beef, etc. She eats a lot of salads and veggies, nuts, fruits, yogurts, etc.

Sorry, but I'm a "naysayer" - I've shed 124 pounds without eliminating or restricting carbs.

Anyway, I do appreciate the thought.

My typical food day (since I can't have my beloved Kashi GoLean anymore) looks a little bit like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal (yes, I did check and it is gluten free) and coffee, either with a little almond milk and stevia or else the much yummier almond milk mocha (almond milk, instant coffee, cocoa powder, stevia). Once or twice a week in the past I would have scrambled egg whites (or regular eggs, depending on what i felt like) with guacamole or something like that and a piece of toast instead.

Morning Snack: Banana or Granny Smith Apple

Lunch: a can of very low sodium chunk light tuna mixed with a diced tomato and salsa or guacamole or Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and chili powder. Maybe some veggies on the side.

Afternoon Snack: Baby carrots - usually several servings

Dinner: Some sort of meat (chicken, steak, turkey, fish), veggies (steamed broccoli is my favorite), and sometimes - maybe half the time - a starch of some sort, usually a baked potato (with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and chili powder).

So obviously it isn't like wheat/gluten is really a part of my every day food intake anyway, but I do like having options.

Thanks!

---- OOPS! I guess I should add that I really don't need low calorie options. I've passed my goal weight already. ----
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    CoryIda, I wondered if that was what was going on with you. I have been told that gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley and rye) is very similar to casein (a protein found in dairy), which is why so many people who are allergic to one are also allergic to others too.

Don't be surprised if your intestinal tract takes a couple of weeks to adjust to a gluten free diet. Mine did too, but it all mellows out after the shock wears off. And eventually, you'll likely find that you feel better than you have in a very long time.

Two great gluten-free websites with lots of resources can be found here:
    http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com
    http://glutenfreegirl.com/

As far as whole grain toast, most gluten free breads are very poor excuses for regular breads (gluten is what gives baked goods their spongy texture), but I have found one brand that is actually quite delicious. Udi's bread and muffins are the closest to any "normal" baked goods I have found. They make the only gf bread I can stand to eat without toasting, frying, or otherwise heating up to improve the texture.

As far as gluten free pastas, brown rice has better texture than corn, and holds up better as leftovers. If you can find quinoa pasta, that's great too! In fact, quinoa in general is a wonderful, delicious, high-protein gluten-free grain. I LOVE cooking with quinoa!

I don't substitute grains nearly as much now that I've been off gluten for several years. It helped with the mental/emotional withdrawals, but now I just tend to focus on fruits, veggies, and proteins instead of grains. Sort of a half-hearted paleo diet, I guess.

There must be over 50 gluten-free cookbooks out there, but I highly recommend the Gluten Free Bible.
    I think that's my two cents worth. Good luck to you!
  • Pastalvr
    Options
    You doctor can do a simple bood test to determine if you have the antigen. If that is postivie, they have to do an endoscopy to get a postive diagnosis.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    You doctor can do a simple bood test to determine if you have the antigen. If that is postivie, they have to do an endoscopy to get a postive diagnosis.
    I do not have insurance and our finances are very limited; for this reason, my doctor informed me that, based on my symptoms and by what relieves them (avoiding gluten), I should avoid all gluten. Eventually, I should get tested but that is not an option at this point.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do not have insurance and our finances are very limited; for this reason, my doctor informed me that, based on my symptoms and by what relieves them (avoiding gluten), I should avoid all gluten. Eventually, I should get tested but that is not an option at this point.

I'm in the same boat, and have been eating gluten free for a month now - I love it! I feel better, I look better, and weight that previously just WOULDN'T come off, is coming off pretty quickly! My energy levels, too, are THROUGH THE ROOF... I hope you have as much of a positive reaction from your body as I did! :)

Feel free to add me if you want to chat about it!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating a paleo diet to try to resolve some inflammation and autoimmune issues. If you're in the market for a cookbook, I have heard nothing but fabulous things about "Make It Paleo:Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion" (http://www.amazon.com/Make-Paleo-Grain-Recipes-Occasion/dp/1936608863) and I plan on getting it myself soon.