Sryup Questions

Options
I need to buy some Syrup for me and my man. We usually get Original Aunt Jemima's and we have waffles/pancakes once a week or so. I'm going to start making our pancakes/waffles with whole wheat flour.

What is a good syrup that Mr. Picky won't complain much about that is best? I know they're all pretty bad...

Note: UGH misspelled Syrup in the title and can't change it now :(

Replies

• kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you're asking for a low cal option, I use Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free syrup. It's really good. I get it at Walmart and I use the butter flavored one.
  • mebegreen
    Options
    Maybe try some cooked down raspberries or blueberries or strawberries... i dunno... cook them in a sauce pan with a little sugar or agave nectar or honey... maybe add a little water. There might be some recipes online :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup

Agreed. Completely worth the cost in dollars and calories.

Aunt Jemima wouldn't know a maple tree if she walked into it.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup

This! real maple syrup is expensive, but has great health benefits, so it's actually GOOD for you and not just empty calories.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some cooked down raspberries or blueberries or strawberries... i dunno... cook them in a sauce pan with a little sugar or agave nectar or honey... maybe add a little water. There might be some recipes online :)

OMG... sounds delicious. I need to try making a raspberry sauce for pancakes this weekend :D
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's not "syrup" but I started putting a little agave nectar on my pancakes and waffles. Pretty good and not terrible for you as far as sweeteners go!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I really like the Smuckers Sugar Free Syrup.
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    I use Cary's sugar free brand it u cant tell the difference!!! He'll never know if you empty it in an aunt jamima bottle!!!:laugh:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup

This! real maple syrup is expensive, but has great health benefits, so it's actually GOOD for you and not just empty calories.
    I agree!! It's worth the money, and I'm not feeding my family anything weird (colors, "butter flavour" fructose syrup etc)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free syrup or honey, the honey has more sugar obviously but it's better for you.
  • Syntria
    Syntria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be careful with my carbs and eat mostly Low-GI Foods for my blood sugar. I can't remember the last time I had real Maple Syrup.

That Maple Grove Sugar Free looked good. I think I'll see what options my store has when I head there. I don't think he'll even consider using the sugar free stuff so I'll have to buy him a non-sugar free one, lol.
  • chefchazz
    Options
    Real maple syrup

Agreed. Completely worth the cost in dollars and calories.

Aunt Jemima wouldn't know a maple tree if she walked into it.
    BWAHAHAAAAAA! so funny......and true!
  • Syntria
    Options
    I use Cary's sugar free brand it u cant tell the difference!!! He'll never know if you empty it in an aunt jamima bottle!!!:laugh:

You just might be brilliant.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If you're asking for a low cal option, I use Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free syrup. It's really good. I get it at Walmart and I use the butter flavored one.

I love this one! I had a waffle before my run last night & contemplated using real syrup for the extra boost. UGH! Changed mind real quick when I saw the calorie content.

Went with PB2 instead...
  • Syntria
    Options
    He says he'll try something sugar-free, but if it's gross I have to go buy him a regular bottle of something. LOL.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit, a bag of frozen blueberries or mixed berries heated up on the stove in a saucepan is the way to go. It doesn't need sugar or any sweeteners and makes a lot of "syrup". It's delicious on frozen yogurt also.
  • alandy64
    Options
    Good, healthy choices that won't sabotage your metabolism are:
    1. pure maple syrup as others have noted. Sugar free simply means chemically enhanced - that doesn't help. I find that Dark Amber varieties are the tastiest and Sprouts (if you have one in your area) has a relatively inexpensive variety (not Aunt Jemima cheap, but less than others).

2. Agave syrup (Costco carries a double set at a STEAL of a price for agave). But it's AWESOME on pancakes.

3. take frozen berries and heat them in the microwave until defrosted and warm and use instead of syrup - great idea! Then not only do you get the sweet, but you also gain nutritional value and antioxidants.

4. Clean Eating had a recipe that used raspberries and ricotta cheese instead of syrup. My kids couldn't get enough of it. I will try to find the recipe and share.

Stay far, far, far away from anything that says, "sugar free" or "butter flavored"
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Syrup is low calorie, but definitely tastes like it! I usually go with about a TBS. of Amber Agave Nectar, which is super sweet and delicious!
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For a "fruit option," try cooking 1cup of blueberries with 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup... bring to a boil, then thicken with 1Tbsp cornstarch mixed with a bit of water. It is sweet, loaded with fibre and tons of antioxidants! (I also just substitute 1/2 the flour in my fav pancake recipe with whole wheat - tastes great!