Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Greek yogurt concoction that I can actually tolerate

idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
Ok so I never liked Greek yogurt. I always found it too tart. I really wanted to incorporate greek yogurt into my rotation again because of the high protein but couldn't think of a way to make it palatable other than dumping in sugar. Someone suggested mixing it with peanut butter. I thought, why not? I mixed in 1 tablespoon of natural pb into 1/2 cup Chobani plain non-fat yogurt. It was still a little tart so I added a packed of Stevia. The result...I love it! Now I have an easy snack or pre-workout breakfast that has tons of protein!

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    Yep, it's rough to be plain. One time I sprinkled a 1/2 packet of Stevia, then some raisins and grape nuts (didn't have any granola handy). that was pretty good, too.

I've been adding a tbsp or so of organic (Costco) strawberry preserves/spread into my plain greek yogurt... yummmmmmy and only adds another 30-40 calories.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    I also find it a bit too tart for my tastes. I like mixing in some Honey and Almonds with my plain greek yogurt.

I'll have to try it with Peanut Butter some time.
  • 65jackie
    65jackie Posts: 38 Member
    Adding Trader Joe's Pumpkin butter to it and sprinkling with cinnamon makes a delicious fall treat!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    You guys are better than me....I eat the greek yogurt that already has fruit in it and save the plain as a sour cream replacement :blushing:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    I can only tolerate it with honey, some nuts and frozen berries. It's great stuff though! I live in Switzerland now, and I can't find a low-fat variety here.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    You guys are better than me....I eat the greek yogurt that already has fruit in it and save the plain as a sour cream replacement :blushing:

I don't buy the flavored varieties because of the sugar content. I prefer to flavor it myself. I haven't used the greek yogurt in a savory application yet but I might try that soon, like make a dip or something.
  • czechsmate

I don't buy the flavored varieties because of the sugar content. I prefer to flavor it myself. I haven't used the greek yogurt in a savory application yet but I might try that soon, like make a dip or something.

I use the plain on baked potatoes, tacos...and I have made a really good dip with it too, garlic and herbs, The chobani site has a bunch of recipes.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    I've never tried it on baked potatoes but that sounds like it could be good. I usually use cottage cheese on my baked potatoes (and maybe a few drops of hot sauce)
  • czechsmate
    I've never tried it on baked potatoes but that sounds like it could be good. I usually use cottage cheese on my baked potatoes (and maybe a few drops of hot sauce)

Seriously try it....it really does taste just like sour cream to me, my husband tops them off with bacos...geez he tops everything off with bacos!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    I'm lucky - I like natural yogurt and am not fond of the sweetened kinds. My staple breakfaast is fresh fruit and yogurt.
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, I'm actually getting some to make baked potatoes tmw night. As for eating it alone, I don't like it. I would try the flavored kinds, probably better.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    The fage 2% yogurt is a bit milder and 15 gr of protein..I have that with a handful of fiber one cereal mixed in- perfect snack or even breakfast.
  • nikkicampbell
    nikkicampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Try drizzling the yogurt with a very tad bit of agave syrup. They sell it at costco. and it is easy/quicker to use than honey.

I prefer agave because as you can see below, it is lower on the glycemic index (GI) than other sweeteners:

sugar (95), honey (77), maple syrup (54), agave nectar (26-40)

Agave also has a very neutral flavor, unlike honey and other natural sweeteners
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Greek yogurt and Nutella
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't buy the fruit ones because of the sugar, here's what I do to the plain:

add sugar free/ fat free cheesecake flavored pudding powder (I also like white chocolate, butterscotch, and banana cream)

add one packet of sweetener of your choice (splenda, truvia)

Sometimes it needs a little dash of milk to think it out a tiny bit since the pudding powder acts as a thickening agent

I add a few no sugar added frozen mixed berries....and let it sit in the frige for a couple of hours...the berries kind of melt into the cheesecake flavored yogurt and the consistency is kind of cheesecake-y too. Faux berry cheesecake... yum!
  • I have a very similar trick. Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder and stevia.... It's delish!
  • mix greek yogurt with fresh salsa and a little cumin and you have a great veggie dip or salad dressing......
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    If you aren't overly sensitive to sodium.... You can mix it with hidden valley ranch mix powder to make a veggie dip too!
  • memawwheeler
    memawwheeler Posts: 16 Member
    I wish I would have thought of this but I saw a post some time back that said to put sugar free fat free instant pudding into plain greek yogurt so I tried it and it is awesome!! The cheesecake flavor is my favorite and adding 25 calories a serving to greek yogurt, it really is a treat...and a great dessert if you add fruit as well...
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 920 Member
    i have total 0% and its amazing add some honey and apple and you have a delisious snack for little calories.