Falling off the wagon; need help, feeling glum.

Options
So, I did really good with weight loss over summer, lost a lot, was feeling great and confident and so on, then went back to university and BOOM, weight's come back on. I've gained about 10lbs so far.

I need to get back on it, but I don't feel like I have the support of my flatmates, and I don't know what to do. When I was at home, I had my Mum to support me, now I spend my time surrounded by people who eat takeaways at least once a week, drink a couple of times a week, tell me off for eating to little (and then one of them even tells me off for eating 'too much' from time to time), and all the weight's just coming back on, and it's really frustrating me, I go to the gym 3 times a week as well and Zumba and it's just, doing my head in.

I really need a weight loss buddy to keep me on track. I wanna loose between 18 & 28lbs currently, and I'm 20, any takers? I can't do this by myself, and I just, need a good kick up the bum from time to time. Really wanna get back on this, asap, anyone have any tips to help me get back on the wagon? :(

Replies

• chicnsweet83
    Options
    I work out by myself and feeling the same way. I want a workout buddy but I don't know many women, mostly men and I go to an all women's gym lol I hope you get back on that wagon! Is Zumba fun?
  • shirlandmews
    Options
    Friended ! I'll try to support as best as I can ! And you are a photography student ! I already like you ;)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting a core group of friends on MFP to help you along the way. When I started adding friends, I was amazed that I didn't want to let them down when they were being strong. There were multiple levels of motivation and encouragement. I would also recommend starting with a just few MFPals at first. Watch for the MFPals that stand out in their posts as being particularly encouraging and helpful, then friend request them specifically. Then commit to providing encouragement to others. This will make your efforts seem like part of something bigger than yourself, and will help you feel responsible to a bigger cause. Good luck.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Friend me! i've recently gained back 2 pounds and finding it very hard to get back into it, but i'm forcing myself!! it'll start getting easier after you've been back in it for a week or so.............. and i can only suggest ignoring your roommates. It must be difficult to try to accomplish something that nobody else is supportive of! YOU CAN GET SUPPORT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Zumba is amazingly fun! I absolutely love it, but I do it on my wii instead of at a gym cause I'm so uncoordinated it's unreal, haha!

Thanks! Accepted you! :) Ahaha yes I'm a photography student! Takes up a lot of my time! Are you into photography too??

Thanks for all the tips guys! Gonna try really hard this time! :)
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too. I had no coordination but I go to a class each week and hide up the back and I'm generally improving on getting my arms and legs to where I need them, just in time!!

I get the weight off, 'relax' a little and then it goes back on. Over the last few weeks especially, I've put weight on so now I've around 20lbs to lose. I'm back on it now... let's get our heads down, ignore your flat mates and keep up the motivation!

Good luck - you can do it. You say your mum was a big help at home - she can still help, I'm sure, despite the distance. Otherwise, happy to be surrogate 'mum', although, I'm only 34 so I consider myself still a bit young! ;-)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Any way you can move somewhere that you'll be more supported or live on your own?
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Thank you 'veobrien'! I've added you, I hope you don't mind! :) I really wanna try Zumba classes, need to rope in a buddy to go with me, haha!

Ahh I wish I could live by myself, but alas I'm living off my student loan so there's no way I can afford to live anywhere other than student housing. Don't get me wrong, my flatmates are all lovely people, they just don't get the whole diet thing, most of them are those really annoying people that can eat what they want, when they want, and stay the same weight, haha! :)
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seen it. No probs at all - hope I can help now! ;-)
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Your story sounds exactly like mine. I started grad school this fall and have gained 10 lbs (at least) after losing 33 over the summer. I'm trying to find the motivation to get back into working out and eating right. I'm finding it difficult to pack my lunch ahead of time which means I have to buy food on campus. Not only am I blowing through my money more quickly, I'm eating a lot of excess calories and relatively unhealthy food (I do try to be somewhat conscious, but I can only eat so many salads before I get tired of them). What I've noticed in the past (when I was actually being productive) is that if you have a tight support network on here, it helps to keep you motivated. I had friends who put me down too for working out, eating healthy and taking care of myself. I was fortunate to live alone at that time, and was able to decide whether I wanted to hang out with them or not. True friends will support you. It sounds a bit harsh, but you are not obligated to do what they do because they expect you to. Perhaps you can find someone from MFP who lives in your area. While it helps a lot to have online support, it is infinitely more helpful (at least for me) to have people to physically work out with and to talk to face to face. Good luck! You've helped me see that I'm not alone. Thanks for posting!