Gaming Consoles?

Options
Does anyone use gaming consoles for a partial workout? If so what platform do you use and what games?

I realise that 99% of these games won't give you an ACTUAL workout, but at least it's moving and having fun!

My partner and I are looking into buying an XBOX 360 Kinect for a family christmas present. I've looked at some of the dancing and fitness games and they look fun. Just looking for opinions :)

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Xbox kinect is amazing! I really love it, and it's become a mainstay! Dance Central 2 is amazing.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dance Central 1 as well? Are they much different other than songs?
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing after my hubby offered to get me a XBOX 360 Kinect for christmas...interested in seeing what other people say :-)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit!
  • himiller3
    Options
    I have an xbox360 and have The Biggest Loser for Kinect. It works quite well actually.

http://www.biggestloserthegame.com/xbox-360-experience.aspx

Oh, I will warn you however, the menu... Not so nice.... But the workouts and challanges are fun, and capable of making you sweat.
  • GirlieMutant
    Options
    I have a PS3 move, and I have Zumba for it. It's fun, and great because I'm too self-conscious to sign up for classes. But I hear Kinect is very good, I would buy it if I had the money.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    What is an 'actual' workout. In my opinion, if you're getting your heart rate up and working hard, it's a workout. I've lost 20 lbs so far just doing Just Dance games and doing Yoga with some random strength training exercises in my living room.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    We would get a Wii but the XBOX has more of a selection of games. My partner love shooters ect and he's played my Step-dads Wii a lot and it's just not very accurate and pisses him off! lol
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have the wii and I play the zumba and ea active games both of which give me an actual workout.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I agree bronwenhilary, but I've seen people ask similar questions to mine and get slammed with "Games aren't actual workouts" blah blah blah. In my opinion if your heart rate is up, you're sweating a bit and muscles are pounding after then you've worked out! ;)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I agree bronwenhilary, but I've seen people ask similar questions to mine and get slammed with "Games aren't actual workouts" blah blah blah. In my opinion if your heart rate is up, you're sweating a bit and muscles are pounding after then you've worked out! ;)

Good, cuz it's just silly to think otherwise. If I could only count going to the gym I would have quit a long time ago because it's not always fun to me. Exercise is allowed to be fun. I often need to trick myself into working out by having fun!
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I'm even more excited for Christmas now! haha :)
  • OneLuckyRabbit
    OneLuckyRabbit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have all three current gen systems. I use wii fit plus when I don't feel like going outside (it's cold...). I tried some of the dancing games on the 360, but they didn't do it for me. My all time favorite gaming workout is the gladiator sim on sports champion with the ps3 move. It is available for the 360, but move is more accurate. The first time I popped that game in I couldn't even bend forward enough to grab my vitamins off of my counter. So it is definitely plenty intense.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Dance Central 1 is great, but dance central 2 has fantastic extra features- including pre-set really fun fitness sets that go anywhere from 10-50 minutes. It has other better features than dance central 1- but Dance Central 1 is much more focused on the accuracy of the moves you are preforming than 2.
    Have you tried Dance Central 1 as well? Are they much different other than songs?
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    We have a wii fit gathering dust upstairs. I found the games to be fun for a bit, but I'm much more of a "get outside and do something fun" exerciser than a "work out in the house/gym" kind of guy. I've contemplated dragging it out again for nasty winter days when I'm too wimpy to walk/run/bike outdoors.