is anyone else interested in becoming vegetarian?

Options
i was thinking if i could get a couple other people who want to become vegetarian but are having trouble..we could band together...

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of trouble are you having?
  • cb1706
    Options
    I am already one if that helps lol
  • witchymama77
    witchymama77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am already one if that helps too :)
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I've been "meat free" since September; at first it was hard to get enough protein but I'm getting better at it. What are you having a hard time with?
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    When I finally made up my mind to do it, I did it alone. I've never looked back. Never felt better. Never been this healthy.

Good luck.
  • rockchick90
    Options
    I used to be one, and now I just try to eat as little meat as poss (like eat quorn, tofu and meat free sausages and chicken rather than the real stuff) but i do eat some fish like prawns and salmon
  • itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    idk...its just hard for me to get ideas for food....and i could use some recipes and/or ideaas..
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My whole family just went vegan this June. We watched "Forks Over Knives" and were compelled by the evidence that a plant-based diet was the healthiest way to live and prevent disease. I am just now to the point where I don't worry about what to fix for dinner. I know there is a ton of stuff in my refridgerator and pantry that I can successfully throw together into a yummy meal. The first couple of months took a LOT of energy planning, researching and preparing meals. Now it is second nature.

Best wishes in your pursuit of a vegetarian diet whether it's for the health benefits, the environment or to be more compassionate.
  • goodmonster
    Options
    I think being a vegetarian is a fabulous idea, however I know that with my family and their lifestyle (and how easily I stress about simple things like cooking dinner) I don't think it's in the cards.

I HAVE however started my own personal journey of "Meatless Mondays" so instead of cutting it all completely out of our diets it's a slow weaning process so my family (and me) are not so completely dependant upon meat for protein. =)
  • Pangui
    Options
    For healthy recipe ideas, check out the Happy Herbivore and my personal favorite, fatfreevegan.com
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com has a lot of great vegetarian recipes, and also vegetarian times (the magazine) has really good ones :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A friend suggested this site to me.

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/vegetarian/1
  • Pangui
    Options
    I've been "meat free" since September; at first it was hard to get enough protein but I'm getting better at it. What are you having a hard time with?

This tends to be one of the common myths about a plant-based diet. We don't need as much protein as the meat and dairy industry would like you to believe. I have never heard of a case where someone eating enough calories on a plant-based diet ever suffered from protein deficiency. A lot of the leafy green veggies (including broccoli) have close to 50% of their calories from protein. The largest land animals on earth seem to do just fine getting their protein requirements from plants. Please don't worry about protein.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    theres TONS and TONS of awesome recipes online! :D and books galore!

feel free to check out my diary and blog for ideas. i just switched from vegetarian to vegan. loving the food choices! :bigsmile:
  • jenocelot
    Options
    Congratulations on a wonderful choice. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years. Fit, healthy, nearing age 50, run 20 miles a week even when not training for a race, and have no problems 'getting enough protein'. Enjoy the plethora of information about how to cook/eat healthy vegetarian food. If you need support in your choice and don't have people around you who do so, read read read. In terms of, sticking to it -- once you have the information re. what the factory farm industry does to animals and our environment and our health, you likely won't need 'support'. Just have fun with it!