Does mfp accurately predict your weightloss?

Options
Does mfp accurately predict your weightloss? When you finish putting foods youve eaten into your diary, and you get the little message at the end saying 'if everyday were like today, you would weigh blah blah by a certain date'. is your weightloss accurate to this?

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    No.

That little message is ridiculous and stupid.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No.

Does it over estimate or under estimate it for you?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't...but I assume it varies by person since it cannot accurately predict everyone's BMR.. it is only an estimate. I guess my BMR is slower than MFP thinks it is. Oh well.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Nope. I saw that message for 6 weeks, I'd weigh 5 lbs less. In EIGHT weeks, I was the SAME weight, only I was grouchy and tired from starving myself.

So I started lifting weights and eating more.

I am happy now, still the same weight, but tighter and smaller.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    No.

Over ......I hate that damn message.....It pisses me off
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You have to pretty much eat that many calories everyday, with very little leeway. Now I can say that I looked earlier this week, and my current weight was within a few ounces of the 5 weeks prior blurb. It's like everything else...take it with a grain of salt. It may or may not work for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're really OCD and you spend some time doing trial and error and really get everything dialed in, it can be uncannily accurate.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've lost 6lbs in less the 5 weeks, so it must very for some.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The message is intended to encourage you. If you ate like this everyday, you would weigh this much. Is it perfectly accurate, no, but for some of us it reminds us that we are not going to see immediate results (as in 20 mins from now) but if I keep at it, I will see a difference and so with the scale. Everyone is different, but I for one use it as a motivator. Especially if I have a bad day and it tells me I would be heavier or the same.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    Nope. I saw that message for 6 weeks, I'd weigh 5 lbs less. In EIGHT weeks, I was the SAME weight, only I was grouchy and tired from starving myself.

I agree! Ignore that number, eat more food, and lift weights! Heavy weights!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    No.

Over ......I hate that damn message.....It pisses me off

Me too! I quit looking at...too aggrevating!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Something is definitely wrong if you are starving...MFP is simply meant to cut your calories gradually, not to be so oppressive that you're hungry.

My sis-in-law set her weight loss at 1/2 lb per month, and after 2.5 months is down almost 15lbs, and does not feel deprived in ANY way. So I would examine your settings...and/or see if you are not eating your calories.

However, back to the topic at hand, no it's simply a "guesstimate" in that if you ate that way "every day'....but we seldom eat the same things each and every day..
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You realize you don't have to hit that button at the end of each day, right? Even if you do, you can still go back in later and change things if you need to as well.

The only purpose for the button is to give you the message. If you don't want to see the message, don't hit the button.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It actually motivates me but no i dont rely on it, i'm so frusterated from being on this plateau for over a month but i like to push that button just to remind myself that eventually if i keep this up i will be at that weight.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • marquesajen
    Options
    No no no, definitely overestimates. Even when I was working out religiously (before I was sick) and ate really, really well it was not close at all.
  • PreciousMissy
    Options
    Well dang it...now curiosity has the best of me...I'm going to start tracking it next to my own weight log and see how close it is.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It's just using a basic calculation, that if you cut out 500 calories a day (3500 a week) you could lose 1lb a week.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    There's a message? OMG. So if you see something do you always believe it? Becuase I dont see Santa and I still believe...if I could go foa ride on the Polar Express and have some hot coco.