8 cups of water daly? Are they kidding?

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't start losing weight until I drank 10 glasses of water or more, if I drink less I gain again...
    That's called water weight. Not important if you actually care about losing fat.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    I love water.... I get super sick, sluggish, and agitated if I don't get at least 6 cups per day !!! :sick:
    I usually drink 8 or 9 per day. It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly. and yes it does help with weight loss. Many times we think we're hungry, when in reality we are just thirsty... sometimes the thirst/hunger message gets mixed up by our body and brain!
    You'll get used to it, cheers !! :drinker:
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    it's a guideline. Your body needs fluids. Lots of fluids .You get those in foods and in any other liquids you drink.

You do NOT need to chug down an additional magical number of 8 glasses a day over and above all the fluids you are drinking.

Water DOES NOT "flush out toxins " or any other nonsense.

What it CAN do is keep you feeling a bit more full .

And all those trips to the loo burn calories !
    Definitely this. I've always thought the water-drinking thing around here had a bit of a cultish flavor to it (no offense, Folks.) I've been doing this for 3 months now and lost 35 lbs without doing anything special with water. I just drink when I'm thirsty, and only then.

That said, if you drink a significant amount of any cold beverage, your body will spend Calories warming it up to body temp. Two liters of water at 1C will earn you about 75 Calories.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It does seem repulsive at first. I am not even sure I fully believe the benefits of water consumption as touted here by my fellow MFPers. However, I did make the change and eliminated nearly all drinks from my diet except water. I carry a 32 oz water bottle with me all day and I try to drink 3 bottles a day (96 oz). It does seem to make a difference with my weight loss and overall well-being. Not always, but sometimes it does help to suppress my appetite. It helps prevent me from overeating at meal time.

Most of all, I feel good about not consuming beverages that probably aren't contributing to my personal health. I don't know what to believe about all those artificial sweeteners, colors and additives, so I'd just prefer to avoid them altogether.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Are "they" kidding?....NOPE, "they" aren't.
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    HA! I drink a GALLON a day!! I tote the gallon jug around with me everywhere and get all kinds of looks and questions "Do you really drink all that?" Yes I do and I try to do it all in one day every day! "Whoa! Does it make you have to, ya know, go pee?" Duh! Water does make me have to pee but I don't go anymore than say a pregnant woman... It's not a bad thing either! "How can you hold all that water? It doesn't seem humanly possible!" Humans are what like 75% water right? It's possible, believe me...

Try drinking 4 glasses in one day... And they mean one serving as in 8 ounces. most cups you drink from are 12 or more ounces. Test out your drinking glass. Take a liquid measuring cup and fill it up to the one cup mark, pour that into your drinking glass and see if there's extra space. :-) You totally can drink 8 glasses of water a day, it's not that much (coffee and tea counts in my book!)
    And people look at me funny when i carry around my 32 oz nalgene bottle all day :laugh:
    I drink 3-4 of those bottles a day...

There are plenty of options for flavoring water! ( teas, mixes, drops, fresh fruit, you can make icecubes with cut up fruit)

ps.. love the pikachu siggy :bigsmile:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Water causes cancer. Best to stay away from it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly.
    That's called a liver, not water.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Water causes cancer. Best to stay away from it.

^^ This!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    One other thing to address the folks who say they feel sick if they don't drink lots of water. That's only natural. You've conditioned your body to expect the intake you normally deliver. When you stop that for whatever reason, the body continues excreting at its normal levels and you get dehydrated until the body resets to the new, lower normal.

If you care anything about disaster preparedness, conditioning your body to need such huge amounts of water is a weakness.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly.
    That's called a liver, not water.
    Do they sell liver at Trader Joe's?
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    not are THEY kidding....are YOU kidding me?

I try for 3-4 litres a day.

guzzle up....

Liter bottle gets filled 3 times while at work...then some more when at home....it becomes a habit to just reach out to it and drink..
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i used to be the same but i found that drinking 4-5 a day in the begining was easy then i noticed i was drinking more and more, i do like drinking water but it has to b cold from the fridge. i have recently started a challenge for exersize n we have to drink 12 glasses a day, i usually only manage that when im burning over 1000 cals a day but im gona drink more, do it slowly n u will prob find eventually u will drink 8 glasses easy.x
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

guzzle up....
    Liter bottle gets filled 3 times while at work...then some more when at home....it becomes a habit to just reach out to it and drink..
    A habit, or... an addiction? Perhaps you have a drinking problem.

airplane.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I LOVE WATER!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    8 cups of water a day is a cake walk
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options

guzzle up....

thats what i do, i find using a short fat litre bottle is so easy to drink coz it doesnt seem as much as a tall litre bottle, :bigsmile:
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you can actually drink too much water. The recommended 64 oz a day obviously isn't too much, but a friend of mine was drinking 3 to 4 gallons a day and his doctor told him to stop that high amount. I'm just sayin'....
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    thats what i do, i find using a short fat litre bottle is so easy to drink coz it doesnt seem as much as a tall litre bottle, :bigsmile:
    Are you calling me fat?!

:wink:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I buy my liver on the black market...isn't there where everyone gets theirs??