Awh, that's not nice.

Options
I posted a topic (quite some time ago) about watching crossfit games on tv and wanting to do a handstand pushup. I got a LOT of replies, "Oh, those are too hard-you shoudl try something easier!" "Why not just do regular pushups, those are easier" "that could be dangerous! don't hurt yourself trying to do something you cant!"

This really kind of upsets me on a number of levels. First of all, it's sad that someone posts a really ambitious goal and then get 20+ replies talking them out of it. Be supportive people! Say, "try a headstand on a pillow with spotters first, work your way to it!" but don't tell them to take the easy way out and just do wall pushups intead :(

Second, this is myFITNESSpal, not my FATLOSSpal, meaning we are not all here to drop pounds, and it kind of irks me that the automatic assumption is that i'm jumping in butt first and can't do a regular pushup, so therefore i can't do a handstand. I shouldn't have to put that i'm doing 100+ WEIGHTED, DECLINE pushups at a time, if i say handstand, the thought should be"well, she must at least kind of know what she's doing"

But really, if you tell me that your goal is run 5 nonstop miles by christmas, i'm gonna say GO FOR IT :D It's hard, it's gonna hurt, and don't forget good shoes! But i'm not going to tell you "just walking down your hallway is enough."

So please, don't try to talk people into taking the easy way out! It's not nice! :D

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic (quite some time ago) about watching crossfit games on tv and wanting to do a handstand pushup. I got a LOT of replies, "Oh, those are too hard-you shoudl try something easier!" "Why not just do regular pushups, those are easier" "that could be dangerous! don't hurt yourself trying to do something you cant!"

This really kind of upsets me on a number of levels. First of all, it's sad that someone posts a really ambitious goal and then get 20+ replies talking them out of it. Be supportive people! Say, "try a headstand on a pillow with spotters first, work your way to it!" but don't tell them to take the easy way out and just do wall pushups intead :(

Second, this is myFITNESSpal, not my FATLOSSpal, meaning we are not all here to drop pounds, and it kind of irks me that the automatic assumption is that i'm jumping in butt first and can't do a regular pushup, so therefore i can't do a handstand. I shouldn't have to put that i'm doing 100+ WEIGHTED, DECLINE pushups at a time, if i say handstand, the thought should be"well, she must at least kind of know what she's doing"

But really, if you tell me that your goal is run 5 nonstop miles by christmas, i'm gonna say GO FOR IT :D It's hard, it's gonna hurt, and don't forget good shoes! But i'm not going to tell you "just walking down your hallway is enough."

So please, don't try to talk people into taking the easy way out! It's not nice! :D

well said.

so how are those handstand push-ups coming along?
  • slbeutler
    Options
    If it matters, I think it would be awesome to be able to do that, so go for it and post a picture!

And, I do want to run 5 miles non-stop by Christmas! You must have read my mind. (totally serious)

I agree totally with you, I think anyone can accomplish anything if they are willing to do the work required to get there.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Well meaning but misguided people, huh? I just ignore them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I usually feel like I have to put on a helmet and bring battle gear to a post if it's a statement I'm about to make. If I'm asking a question and seeking advice it's a little easier. But the second you give your unprovoked opinion on a topic (like I am now) daggers will be flying.

Helmet and gear for this statement:
    I know everyone has their opinions.. this is just my observation.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    lots of Debbie Downers in life...and on here.

take it with a grain of salt...but I definitely hear you!!!
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well said.. Dont let those negitive people get to you, they just upset cause they didnt think of handstand pushups themselve.. I wish you the best of luck.. when if you haven't already done one I would love to see pictures... :-)
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    Hear! Hear! You will do it someday! You know? I'd really like to get back to being able to do one-handed cartwheels... Hmm...
  • SandyCurrier
    Options
    Awesome post!! U go girl!!
  • kantone999
    Options
    The easiest way to learn to do a headstand I ever heard of was yoga. From the headstand to the handstand is fairly easy, once you've mastered that balance-upside-down thing, which basically has to do with how far to let your legs move. If you don't have spotters, just do your handstand against the wall. And yes, put a pillow under your head--that floor's hard! Good luck!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Hope you are close to achieving your goal!!! and I totally agree with you!! I want to be able to run on the treadmill eventually but for now i am happy with the fact that I can walk 3 miles in 1 hour on the treadmill....
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Best post ever lol I'd rather someone tell me I can do anything and maybe I wont be able to but i'll fight like hell for it. Part of me wonders what they would have said to had you been of the opposite sex (just putting it out there).

P.s. now we all totally want to know if you can actually do said handstand push up lol and how do you train for that?
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    Ah, don't be too hard on 'em. They mean well enough, but I know where you're coming from.

But yeah, go do your handstand pushups. Try balancing a fridge on the soles of your feet just for the craic.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I usually feel like I have to put on a helmet and bring battle gear to a post if it's a statement I'm about to make. If I'm asking a question and seeking advice it's a little easier. But the second you give your unprovoked opinion on a topic (like I am now) daggers will be flying.

Helmet and gear for this statement:
    I know everyone has their opinions.. this is just my observation.

d'OH! You said Helmet.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! and the handstand is going slowly (i bonked my head a few times, OUCH! ) but i realized my hands were too close together. haven;t practiced this week (shoulders were sore) but i might when i get home again! will definately post pics when i get it down!

And one handed cartwheel? for realz? i can;t do a regular cartwheel! I JUST FOUND MY NEXT GOAL PEOPLE :D
  • Troll
    Options
    how do you train for that?

you accidentally hit your head a lot, or at least that's how i;m learning ! haha! i can hold myself up for a few seconds before i get wobbly (wrist issues) so here's hoping by the end of the month i'll have it :)
  • LSmela
    LSmela Posts: 30
    Options
    People are so negative, we are here for support. I don't do any blogs. I guess it is because of rejection. For myself, I go to curves. It took me a month to get the courage just to try out zumba. I finally did and I love it. I am tired afterwards but well worth it.
    So go for it try the handstand pushups. We are all different people and different levels. We know our own limitations.
    Love to see pics of you doing these. You give me courage to step up and want to try new things.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    how do you train for that?

you accidentally hit your head a lot, or at least that's how i;m learning ! haha! i can hold myself up for a few seconds before i get wobbly (wrist issues) so here's hoping by the end of the month i'll have it :)

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I really agree on this topic. Why tell someone that something is "too hard?" Just because it's too hard for you (or you THINK it is) doesn't mean it can't be done! Encouragement is better than telling someone to settle.

On the subject of cartwheels.... I can do a regular cartwheel and one handed cartwheels are really the same, you just have to put your hand in the center of your balance point and kick over a little faster. What I'd like to be able to do again are ariels, the "no handed" cartwheels. Hell, I'd even settle for a back walkover, but I don't think I'll ever be that flexible again. :sad:
  • Troll
    Options
    update! I did 4 itty bitty, 2 inches down (one, stand up, one, etc) with my feet on my fiances dually (84 ford, not a new truck) (baby steps!)tried inside, mom grabbed my ankles to help and smashed my head into the wall. Outside, no concussion! Camera was dead, will try again tomorrow!