Yummy and filling vegan salad and vegetable dish for thanksg

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
We are having a vegan over for thanksgiving AND her son (not vegan) is allergic to nuts.

We're not going to totally revamp our thanksgiving but we do want to have a couple dishes on offer that will be ok for them to eat.

(does anyone know if sunflower seeds are ok for nut allergies? I would think so, totally different thing)

My mom wants me to make the salad and a vegetable dish -- normally I would do a boring(ish) salad or something like cranberries and nuts wiht spinach but I want to be able to offer her something a little nicer and more satisfying (Because its polite).

Ideally also would like dishes where iether there are no nuts or nuts can be added after its complete. Ideas?

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    From skinnytaste.com

Mashed Sweet Potatoes Brulee

Mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized brown sugar crust. Sweet potatoes are a must for Thanksgiving and this dish will be a hit on your Holiday table.

To prepare ahead, make the mashed sweet potatoes the day before, then re-heat them before topping with sugar and broiling. Once you broil them, you'll want to serve them right away. If you are bringing them to someone's house, don't add the brown sugar topping until you are ready to serve.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes Brulee
    Adapted from Cooking Light
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 14 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 113.4 • Fat: 1.5 g • Protein: 2.2 g • Carb: 25.6 g • Fiber: 2.9 g • Sugar: 14.8
    Sodium: 141 mg

Ingredients:

5 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled until soft (6 cups cooked)
    3/4 cup 1% milk
    3 tbsp light butter, softened
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup unpacked light brown sugar

Directions:

When the potatoes are cooked and soft, combine them with milk, light butter, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mash or puree until smooth.
    Spoon into a 9 x 9 or 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
    Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly over top. Broil 2 minutes or until sugar melts, careful not to burn. Let it stand until the melted sugar hardens (about 5 minutes).

Makes 7 cups.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Found this about sunflower seeds (good news!)

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/f/treenutsseeds.htm

Unfortunately my mum always cooks nut roast for celebration dinners and I always struggle to find something to go with those kinds of meals. I'll have a look and see what I've got in my books :happy:
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The mashed sweet potatoes or yams sounds great, and to make it vegan you just need to sub the dairy for a non-dairy option (rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.). Last year we made a yummy roast of different root veggies: beets, yams, potatoes, turnips, etc. with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. For vegan dishes you can still make stuffing, or you could make a fun warm wild rice salad or corn/bean salad.

And don't forget about quinoa - it's super high in protein, fast and easy to make you and you can mix all kinds of veggies, seeds and beans into it.

For the allergies, I highly suggest you ask them what the specific nut allergy is - nut allergies are very serious and you never know if he/she has an intolerance to other seeds. Everyone's different.

Don't fret too much - as guests we are generally courteous and understand most families will be eating a traditional meal with turkey. If you want, you could provide a little tofurky if you're so inclined.
  • ckclontz
    Options
    Ack!! You can't use milk products with a vegan, nor can you use honey. Vegans do not eat anything made from or produced by animals.

However, for Aunt Suzie's delicious-sounding recipe, you could substitute coconut milk for animal milk, and there are vegan alternatives to butter that can be found in any grocery store!

A great site for amazingly yummy vegan recipes is this: http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-recipes.asp

Good luck, and good health!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    we alreayd have a sweet potato dish and my family doesn't consider potatoes vegetables anyway.

The quinoa is a great idea - Totally forgot about that one.

And I know vegans are used to fending for themselves but if you invite someone to your house I think you can at least provide a few dishes you know they can eat.