8 cups of water daly? Are they kidding?

Options

Replies

• boomchickylala
    Options
    I'm not a water drinker either, so I've got in a habit of having a glass with every meal and one when I'm brushing my teeth. That works out to at least 7 glasses a day without really thinking about it...
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    1-more water
    2-less crappy drinks
    3-lose weight
    4-profit

I'm not gonna say doing that swap ^ would result in a 30-50lb weight loss in a year for most people with literally no other effort or change in diet/lifestyle.,....but oops looks like I said it.
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always thought it seemed strange too. Some people say it makes them feel full and so they eat less, and I can understand that. However, I don't think there's a physiological need to drink that much (unless maybe you're training for a marathon here in Texas in July)....in fact an article in the New York Times listed the eight-glasses-of-water advice in an article called, "Medical Myths Even Doctors Believe."

Unless you're in some extreme climate or under extraordinary physical duress, I think it's fine to just drink when you're thirsty. For goodness' sake, our parents and grandparents didn't tote little water bottles everywhere they went!
  • gillad
    gillad Posts: 15
    Options
    I struggled to drink water .. not that I dislike it. I have found though as I'm getting more into losing weight that I am begining to WANT to drink more. Especially when I exercise and also I now try to drink a glass of water with my food. Also it's no calories so that has to be a bonus.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Way too much water for me. Makes me never want to look at water agan. Is it supposed to suppress hunger? To me it just makes me feel sick. What do you think?

You definitely don't HAVE to have 8 glasses of water. All liquid counts including the liquids in your foods. The point is to keep your body from becoming dehydrated, which will slow down your metabolism. The other benefit is that liquids fill you up and help curb your appetite if that is something you need help with. Add drink mixes to your water, drink unsweetened iced tea, hot tea, coffee...whatever you like :)
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just drink if you are thirsty, it doesn't have to be water either!!

This is true, but you want to be careful of what liquids you are replacing your water with. Excess juices, vitamin waters, and sodas have a lot of sugar that can affect your pancreas. 8 - 8 oz glasses of water is easy to drink.Get a big 64 oz drinking bottle at Wal Mart, fill it with water and drink it through the day. You'll be surprised how quickly it goes. :)
  • felicity866
    Options
    i must admit i am with you - i am now drinking 5-6 glasses per day and feel like I am drowning from the inside out!! I keep a bottle handy all the time and just keep sipping at it....it is getting easier but getting ot 8 glasses a day will take a little time
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly.
    That's called a liver, not water.
    Do they sell liver at Trader Joe's?
    Sure...if you're a ***** cat.
    tj_beefliver.png
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't drink 8 glasses of water a day! Maybe 4-5 glasses... But with diet coke, decaf and fruit, I don't worry too much. I drink only when i'm thirsty.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you care anything about disaster preparedness, conditioning your body to need such huge amounts of water is a weakness.

So when the Zombie Apocalypse comes, you guys are screwed! :laugh:
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have never been one of those people who drank tons of water. I drink probably about 4-6 glasses of water a day, and I've been doing fine.

I'm guessing the folks here have access to a bathroom all day....I am a visiting nurse, and if I drank that much water, I'd have to catheterize myself just to survive my driving time without peeing my pants! LOL!!
  • lovelee79
    Options
    It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly.
    tj_beefliver.png

LOL It's actually your kidneys, but nice try anyways !! :wink:
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You should try measuring it out.... it sounds like more than it actually is.

8 x 8oz. glasses.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    tj_beefliver.png
    No, the label clearly says "liver", not "kidneys".
  • lovelee79
    Options
    If you care anything about disaster preparedness, conditioning your body to need such huge amounts of water is a weakness.

So when the Zombie Apocalypse comes, you guys are screwed! :laugh:

too funny, love it !! :laugh:
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    I drink 8 cups every time I sit down. I have 5 gallon jugs that I fill up from wal-mart and then I have a smaller container that holds a half a gallon and I can go through 1.5-2 of those a day.

One of the best things about water is that it suppresses your appetite.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    tj_beefliver.png

it's your Liver that deals with toxins. Drinking excess water does NOT enable your body to "flush out " toxins. When will this myth die?
    Your kidneys get rid of all the unnecessary water you have been chugging down
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    tj_beefliver.png
    it's your Liver that deals with toxins. Drinking excess water does NOT enable your body to "flush out " toxins. When will this myth die?
    Your kidneys get rid of all the unnecessary water you have been chugging down
    AGAIN! The label CLEARLY says "LIVER", not "KIDNEYS"!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just drink if you are thirsty, it doesn't have to be water either!!

WELL SOMEONE WITH A LITTLE SENSE
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i too thought they were kidding, until i pushed myself to do it, trust the folks here they know it works and they have been there done that, just consider it a challenge and then break thr it, i went from no water daily to 8 glasses or more a day, some can do a gallon a day (im not there yet) but its true you can do it just take baby steps try 1 bottle 16oz a day and then add on slowly, you will be able to do this.

its doable.