Subtract BMR from exercise calories?

Options
I was wondering, does anyone subtract their BMR rate from their exercise calories before entering them? MFP calculates my BMR as 1365 calories/day which is about.57 calories per hour. If I work out for an hour and burn around 600 calories, should I be subtracting the 57 that I would have burned doing absolutely nothing (which is already accounted for in e calorie goal that MFP gives me)? Is this a good idea or am I totally over analyzing this situation? I only have 18 lbs left to lose so I kind of want to be as accurate in my calorie counting (both food and exercise) as possible. I use my Polar FT4 when working out. I've been just entering the number that it gives me, but now I'm wondering if it kind of already takes the BMR rate into account or if I should subtract it myself to get the most accurate idea of what I'm really accomplishing. I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but I don't want to overestimate my exercise calories.

I'm probably way over analyzing this. Give me some opinions please. :-)

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't because a) I only measure the calories from while I am exercising, not for the time my HR is elevated after, and b) I don't log the several miles I walk a day, so I should have a little leeway.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I do and always have because it makes perfect sense in my brain, I don't think you are overanalyzing at all. In fact as you get within 20 pounds of your goal weight it becomes very important to be accurate and this is part of it. I noticed that of my friends...the ones who do not do this plateau more often and are more frustrated cause they can't understand why!

Well, I know why!

Best of luck and yes take off the 57 per hour and eat back the rest. Weigh your foods so this is accurate too and you will be successful no doubt!
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, does anyone subtract their BMR rate from their exercise calories before entering them? MFP calculates my BMR as 1365 calories/day which is about.57 calories per hour. If I work out for an hour and burn around 600 calories, should I be subtracting the 57 that I would have burned doing absolutely nothing (which is already accounted for in e calorie goal that MFP gives me)? Is this a good idea or am I totally over analyzing this situation? I only have 18 lbs left to lose so I kind of want to be as accurate in my calorie counting (both food and exercise) as possible. I use my Polar FT4 when working out. I've been just entering the number that it gives me, but now I'm wondering if it kind of already takes the BMR rate into account or if I should subtract it myself to get the most accurate idea of what I'm really accomplishing. I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but I don't want to overestimate my exercise calories.

lolx you are too good in maths
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to when my weight was higher and I was burning more more minute. Now I don't but I leave a little wiggle room with eating back my calories to account for it.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes, you are over analyzing it but I do the same thing and I don't think there is anything wrong with it :smile: ! I think it's just a personal choice. I eat my exercise calories back so it doesn't make sense to me to eat those calories twice (once calculated into my BMR and then again in the exercise calories).
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you need to if you are using a HRM because those numbers tend to be much lower than other calorie counter numbers. I don't because I don't trust my HRM either hehe. I went for an hour of running, jogging, sprinting, walking combination today with my HRM and it said I only burned 350 calories in that hour. I had to add in more exercises so I exercised for 1,5 hours to burn 500 calories. The problem with HRM is that I have to put in my vO2 max myself and I haven't been able to do that test to know my number so I just left it at 35.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Oh no, this is just one other thing I have to worry about xD
    Totally makes sense though. I am going to start subtracting that hr burned while working out as well
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

lolx you are too good in maths

I did have to use a calculator. LOL
  • inspiration345
    Options
    Oh wow, we all just lost our avatars.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I do, but mostly because I generally work out for multiple hours a day so all that actually adds up over the week.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

?
  • inspiration345
    Options

?
    Hmmm....I can't see mine and others. Maybe something wrong with my computer or browser.
    Edit: Sorry about that. MFP seems to have killed my avatar picture. Got another one going now :).
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

?
    Hmmm....I can't see mine and others. Maybe something wrong with my computer or browser.

I see yours and everyone else's. I thought you were making a reference to the movie that I didn't understand. LOL
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    And 2 seconds after I posted that, now I can't see them either. Weird delay.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this?????
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Never heard of BMR or never heard of this idea?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I subtract them, too. ;)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Well at least I know I'm either not crazy or not alone. LOL
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I have never heard of the idea
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

I have never heard of the idea

Oh okay. :-). I had never heard of it either, but thought about it randomly and I guess others have thought about it too. I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten more responses, I mean we have a lot of people here on MFP that seem extremely knowledgeable about all this calorie counting and exercise stuff, so I was hoping to get more feedback on if it's silly or matters at all or whatever.