Diet Soda is it healthier than Regular Soda????

Options
Is Diet Soda Healthier Than Regular Soda????

With so many people watching their calorie intake, they're always looking for ways to cut back without having to sacrifice much. That's why diet soda has become so popular. A regular 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola contains 143 calories, but a can of Diet Coke or Coca-Cola Zero contains only one.

Calorie-wise, yes, the diet version seems healthier, but if you take a look at the ingredients, there's a big difference. Diet Coke and Coke Zero contain aspartame, also called NutraSweet or Equal, while Coke is made with sugar. Aspartame is 180 to 200 times sweeter than regular sugar, and is the artificial sweetener of choice when it comes to most diet sodas. While the FDA approved its use in foods and beverages, some side effects include headaches, dizziness, mood changes, or skin reactions after consuming it. Aside from that negative, even though it's low in calories, diet soda may also lead to weight gain. To find out how keep reading.

Studies show that when you eat a low-calorie food that tastes like it has a lot of calories, the body ends up craving what it hasn't received, so your appetite may be stimulated, and cause you to eat more. Drinking sweet beverages may also make you crave other sweet foods, which can also lead to higher numbers on the scale.

Truthfully, soda in general is not healthy, whether it's diet or regular. It offers no nutritional value whatsoever, so if you can give it up altogether your body will greatly benefit. Go for plain old crisp and refreshing water as your beverage of choice. If it's too blah for your taste buds, then squeeze in some lemon or lime juice, or drink herbal tea instead. If you crave something sweeter, there are plenty of fruit juices out there to choose from, just make sure it's 100 percent juice and not fruit-flavored sugar water. Fresh-squeezed juices will offer nutrients such as potassium and protein, which you won't get from guzzling a can of Coke.

Just wanted to share for a Friend of Mine was having some questions about this.. *muah*

~Rachel~

Replies

• legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've read research that fake sweetners fool the body and the body reacts the same way it would to normal sugar. I will tell you this, after years of drinking diet soda and not losing any weight, I cut it out completely and the weight fell off. You decide.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I've read research that fake sweetners fool the body and the body reacts the same way it would to normal sugar. I will tell you this, after years of drinking diet soda and not losing any weight, I cut it out completely and the weight fell off. You decide.

I Agree 100% with you.... I myself only drink water with occassional 55 select Beers here and there ;)

Thanks For Sharing Sweetie ;)
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Bump....Everyone needs to see this...Thanks Rachel
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Any drink with caffine will work as a stimulant, which activates the fight or flight mechanism, causing increased appetite. Personally, pop fills me up, but thats because I only drink diet, and drink like 40oz at a time normally (go to a lot of places with free refills).
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Just so happens I am reading this right after opening a pepsi max! some day I will stop the diet pop addiction. But for now I have cut back!
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    Both are unhealthy if we want to use that term but in the long run for weightloss diet soda has sweeteners that cause cravings so it makes you gain weight in the long run but regular soda can make you gain weight if you exceed your caloric intake both suck but taste good=( jusrt get soda water and put your own natural flavor..
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was drinking those sams choice clear sugar free sodas and didnt see the kind of weight loss Ive seen since I stopped drinking crap! Its all about water, herbal tea and the occasional coffee with cream. ICED PEPPERMINT or SLEEPYTIME TEA IS DA BOMB!!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    These past few months I have made major and dramatic changes to my eating lifestyle. That includes TRYING to eliminate any food or beverage which does not contribute a vital nutrient or component that my body needs. That means no more diet sodas. I do still have one occasionally, but my frequency has changed from 4-5 times/day to about 2 times/week. That's including Diet Green Tea as well.

The purpose of food and drink is to nourish and fuel our bodies and promote health. Food when used properly will go a long ways toward the prevention of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer, auto-immune diseases and many other similar ailments. Prevention is far more important than cures. Change your perspective, change your life.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say I am soda-free(diet and regular) and loving my water, its the best thing ever!
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    Any drink with caffine will work as a stimulant, which activates the fight or flight mechanism, causing increased appetite. Personally, pop fills me up, but thats because I only drink diet, and drink like 40oz at a time normally (go to a lot of places with free refills).

Not to say your wrong, I'm going to do more research on it, but I thought caffeine was good for weight loss. I take One A Day multi-vitamin/multi-minerals (Women's Active Metabolism and Active Mind and Body), they contain as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and they are supposed to help curve the appetite as well as give you the needed vitamins and minerals.

Rachel, have you heard anything about Truvia or Stevia? I use it in teas and sometimes in coffee. I quit drinking sodas all together and try for at least 10 cups of water a day.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Personally I only drink soda made with cane sugar, and then only as a special treat (it's liquid candy).

Most US "regular" soda is made with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which apparently doesn't trigger satiety the way that sugar does. Which is why shops in the US have 20-40oz sodas, and in Europe it's more like 6-8oz. Many other foods, such as Campbell's Tomato soup, have HFCS as one of their top ingredients.
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    thank u girl , ive found i barely drink soda anymore, if i do its diet caffine free, not that its any better but go for the water more often nowww ...
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How about sparkling water? :huh:
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is an oncologist said that diet sodas are worse than regular sodas -- there's a higher chance for cancer.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I started losing my eye sight just by drinking nothing but diet cokes. I gave them up and regained my eye sight back.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that diet soda is no better for your teeth than regular soda because although it has no sugar, it contains phosphoric acids, so if you drink it all day because you think it's better for you because it has no calories, you are still killing your teeth.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that if you want to be healthy, you have to be willing to let go of the unhealthy things. Pop has no nutritional value, whether regular or diet. And I'm barely drinking juice anymore because I don't want to drink my calories, and I am usually over my sugar limit just from eating fruit, veg, and using the occasional sauce. My husband likes his cola, so its in the house sometimes, and I have to choose not to drink it. If I am going over my sugar limit, is rather have a small dessert.
  • dianhathaway
    Options
    I agree that diet soda made with Equal may not be the best but regular Coke has high fructose corn syrup which is a real weight magnet!
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was drinking Diet Coke religiously for the last 6 years.......and I lost 40lbs while drinking it and dieting. I've stopped drinking it all together now for a month and haven't dropped ANY additional weight while still dieting and exercising as I previously did. The weight doesn't melt off when you stop drinking it and I am proof of that. For some people it may help, but not everyone.

If you drink diet soda and you are able to lose weight then GREAT! Keep doing what you are doing if it works for you. Don't let people make you think it's inhibiting you from losing weight because in the grand scheme of things it's not. Just because people are here to lose weight, become healthier and exercise doesn't mean they need to give up everything!

I'm waiting for the day they say that blinking gives you cancer too........
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Truthfully, soda in general is not healthy, whether it's diet or regular. It offers no nutritional value whatsoever, so if you can give it up altogether your body will greatly benefit.

Things like this really annoy me. Are you people sooooo brainwashed by nutrition this, nutrition that...what about TASTE?!?! If you have a can a day and give it up, your body will not "greatly benefit". You saved yourself a few calories. That's it. You also give yourself more chance to fall off as you are denying yourself something you want.