How heavy are your weights for 30DS?

Options
I'm at day 9 of 30DS and don't feel anywhere near where I need to be in order to move to level 2. I'm currently using 5 pound weights and think maybe they're a little too much for a beginner. How heavy are your weights?

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I used 5lbs. I think it takes awhile to get used to. Especially if you are weak in the arms like me! lol
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it depends on how strong im feeling that day. i have a set of 3, 5 and 8 lb.. i dont use the 8 lbs often..usually 5.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Mine are 3lbs (I'm on Day3) and some the arm routines are really hard but I didn't want to go lower than 3 lbs. 5 lbs sounds really tough (of course I have like no upper body strength).
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    I started with 5lbs and thought it was too much but kept going and it got better after a few days. I'm now on day 28 and they seem too light!! All the best! :drinker:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    30DS was the first thing I started with in Feb of this year, and since then have moved on to other things, but when I started I was using 4 lb weights and back then, that was tough for me. Just keep at it, and you will get stronger!
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Mine are 3lbs
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    I think somewhere Jillian says you should use between 3 and 5 lbs (3 to start out). Personally I used 5 lbs, but I would say I have decent upper body strength.
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I AM ON DAY 4 AND USE 3LB & 5LB.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    5-lb weights were too heavy for me when I first started 30 DS. I used 3-lb weights for the first 30 days, then switched to 5-lb weights after that.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use 8 lb weights. Mainly because they are the only ones I have and I'm too poor right now to buy a lighter pair. However, I will admit that if the weights get too heavy I do drop them and do the moves weightless. I still feel like I'm getting an awesome workout, so that might be something to consider if you don't want to spend the money on another pair of weights.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I started with one 5 lb weight (had to wait for payday) and now I'm using two 5 lbs. It's really difficult for me, not going to lie, I'm weak. But hopefully it'll get easier. Never going to improve unless we push ourselves!
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    mine are 3 lbs. i do have pretty good arm strength and my arms have been pretty sore even with the 3 lbs.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    10 lbs for most of the controlled things, 15lbs for military press, 5 lbs for the jumping jacks and anything else where I'm flinging weights around.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I AM ON DAY 4 AND USE 3LB & 5LB.

I use both 3 and 5 depending on the exercise and what I can handle.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My original ones are 2kg but I was really struggling with the squat and eye-level raise so I bought a set of 1kg weights as well just for those!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use 4 pound weights and sometimes its too much for me and I have to do the second set of some moves without weights.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll admit to being the weakling of the group. I started out with zero upper body strength so I used 2 lb. weights for level one, I'm now using 3 lb. weights on level 2.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I started with 1lb weights!! I still use them to supplement some of the cardio (where JM doesn't use weights!). Now I use weights that are approx 3lb3oz each but I have a little trouble with the second set of v raises in level 2! I have never really had any upper body strength but with JM 30DS its improving! I can add to my weights in 500g (approx 1lb) increments so maybe if I get through this 30 days I'll start again with 4lbs or 5lbs...
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I started the first time with 5 pound and it was way too hard. Now that I started for a second time, I am using 1 pound and it is much better!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    most of the time i use 5.5 and for some I use 7.7 on level 3 there is this squat raise thing i do as many as i can with 20.5