Need explanation please...

Options
Hello All,
I am new to MFP and still learning the calculation to lose lbs.

Ex: calories in, burned and net......

Yesterday was my first day completing my food/exercise diary:

My goal calories is 1570
Food 1619
Exercise 604
Net 1015

Calories remaining 555

Can someone please explain how to read this? Much appreciated.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I am new to MFP and still learning the calculation to lose lbs.

Ex: calories in, burned and net......

Yesterday was my first day completing my food/exercise diary:

My goal calories is 1570
    Food 1619
    Exercise 604
    Net 1015

Calories remaining 555

Can someone please explain how to read this? Much appreciated.

a widely sweeping generalization, but not knowing you from a pile of dirt...
    The only thing you should care about is the calories remaining number (and probably your protein intake). Worrying about anything else is over complicating things. If you still have calories remaining, you should still be eating.
  • allisenc
    Options
    Thanks the link and post explanation!

The activity part when MFP plans your goal, that should be your normal lifestyle not including working out?

Also, I noticed the protein intake MFP calculated was lower than what I am shooting for to build muscle.

I just discovered you can manually figure out a goal too. (took me awhile learning how to navigate here)

So if I want to lose lbs, I have to eat the remaining calories? (calories I burned, eat it again?)

Sorry..learning A LOT over her.

Thanks for your help!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The activity part when MFP plans your goal, that should be your normal lifestyle not including working out?
    Yes, that is how most people set it up.
    Also, I noticed the protein intake MFP calculated was lower than what I am shooting for to build muscle.

I just discovered you can manually figure out a goal too. (took me awhile learning how to navigate here)

So if I want to lose lbs, I have to eat the remaining calories? (calories I burned, eat it again?)
    Yes, you can change your macro goals manually (and most people probably should, imo). Once you get your dietary profile setup, yes... you should be eating those calories so that you NET whatever MFP calculates for you as your daily goal. As far as protein goes, most people need to increase their protein significantly and reduce carbs from what MFP sets as the default. You can increase protein and decrease carbs and stay at the same total calories, it just takes some playing around to get things where you want.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Personally I say HECK YES you should eat back those calories. That is how MFP is set up - you still have that caloric deficit built in. But there are loads of people here who DON'T eat them, or don't eat all of them, for various reasons. if you search for "eating exercise calories" you will find a tiresome number of threads about it.
  • allisenc
    Options
    Thank you so much for the explanation! I noticed that this is a topic that sometimes gets into a debate and I appreciate your advice.

Guess I need to start eating! (No wonder I am at a plauteu)

PS I'll be adding you all, need all the support I can find :) Thanks!