Popcorn?

Options
If you dont add salt or sugar or anything you just make popcorn does it have any calories because its basically air?

Thanks

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    One cup of air popped popcorn is about 30cals :) I make up bags of 1 cup each for snacks!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It has calories, but not many, and it has fiber.. so it's a pretty healthy snack as long as you don't add tons of butter.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It's not air. It's corn so yes, it still has calories. About 30 per cup.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    i can't eat just one cup of popcorn and i have to add salt :) olive oil is yummy too...but, not really for calorie counting :)
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Of course it has calories. Read the nutrition label or search for air popped popcorn in the food diary.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    This is what I found in the database. 30 cal and 6 carbs for 1 cup popped.
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Mine has no label which i why i wasnt sure , sorry.
    Seems like a great snack :D
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've read yesterday an article where it was suggested as a very good choice as a snack, loads of fibre as mentioned avoid and other nutrients that only corn has! so enjoy it :D. And yes, it has calories but not many, as long as they are homemade. I don't think salt is a problem... as far as I'm concerned salt doesn't help with liquid retention, but if you keep drinking your 8 glasses of water a day, that shouldn't be a problem at all :D
  • eboley637
    Options
    I love Pop Secret's 100 calorie bag. My son and I will sometimes split it, but I tend to eat the whole thing more than not! :laugh:
  • bprolfsen
    Options
    Yes. It still has calories.

The popcorn kernel is a seed, and a seed is basically a baby in a box with its lunch. Seeds are small, but packed full of starch for a plant to breakdown to use as energy for and during germination.

There are many useful sites for calorie determination. Here's one:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my go-to when I have the" gotta have a crunchy , salty snack". I use my air popper and then spitz a spray of Pam or whatever non-stick spray I have and lighty salt. Yummy!!! The non stick spray helps the salt (or you can use other popcorn seasoning ) stick to the popcorn so it isi not dry and tasteless.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's not air. It's corn so yes, it still has calories. About 30 per cup.

Should clarify that calorie count is for popped versions. A cup of unpopped popcorn is about 500 calories. Which would equal alot more popped cups of popcorn. 1 cup of unpopped would fill a huge bowl after it's popped.

People probably use about 1/4 cup at about 170 calories to fill a big bowl after it's popped.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. It still has calories.

The popcorn kernel is a seed, and a seed is basically a baby in a box with its lunch. Seeds are small, but packed full of starch for a plant to breakdown to use as energy for and during germination.

There are many useful sites for calorie determination. Here's one:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2

Now when I look at popcorn I'm going to be thinking about babies with lunchboxes. :laugh:
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can control the calories by making your own. Measure out a single serving and pop it in a brown paper lunch bag in your microwave. You don't even need butter or oil...just put the kernals in the bag and fold the top down. Pop for about 2 minutes (listen for the popping to slow down). Then use whatever seasoning you like, sweet or spicy!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh....if popcorn were just air then I would just walk really fast with my mouth open when I want a snack. That would save a ton of money and spare me from all that chewing...and flossing.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh....if popcorn were just air then I would just walk really fast with my mouth open when I want a snack. That would save a ton of money and spare me from all that chewing...and flossing.

A friend of mine in Toronto ingested a bug like that yesterday...resulting in an inaccurate logging day. I don't recommend this calorie consumption method if you are OCD with your diary as it will be hard to count the bug, unless of course you knew what kind flew down your gullett...nom nom nom...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

A friend of mine in Toronto ingested a bug like that yesterday...resulting in an inaccurate logging day. I don't recommend this calorie consumption method if you are OCD with your diary as it will be hard to count the bug, unless of course you knew what kind flew down your gullett...nom nom nom...

Extra protein!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Extra protein!

that is what I told my friend yesterday (well except she live in Ottawa).....it's 100% protein.....even the wings
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It is a healthier option, I have heard good feedback from people spritzing it with a light cooking spray and then using the "molly mc butter" on it.