Making veggies taste good?

Options
Unfortunately, I've always been a fan of fruit over vegetables. I'll eat any fruit you put in front of me, but the only vegetables I'll touch are green beans, lettuce and corn. I just haven't liked the taste of anything else I've tried: broccoli, carrots, celery, tomatos, etc. I'm not too big on salads either, most of which incorporate vegetables.

What are some things you guys do with your vegetables?
Anyone else have my problem? What did you do?

I'm considering chopping vegetables up super tiny, and tossing them in with my pasta or in wraps. That way I wouldn't taste them, but I'd still get my serving of vegetables. Would that work?

Replies

• Mingyming
    Options
    Yes!!!! I am a vegetarian I have been a vegetarian for 6 in a half months and I do not like veggies LOL since I started being a veggie I noticed some changes in my body from the shock of my healthy and strict diet and I have noticed a little swelling in my tongue after I eat any animal based food so I just might have to be a vegan... Anyway I HAVE to get my protein since I am very young and vegetables as well, try the cheese spinach dip it is amazing, also try adding some fruit to your salad. Instead of having cabbage in your salad have baby organic spinach with ocean spray cranberries! You will have to get used to the taste, unfortunately there is really no way around that. When I first started out I had sautéed vegetables on a tortilla wrap with mozzarella cheese on top. When you go out (I know you will look like a freak) but you can get just a vegetable egg roll and some egg drop soup. Being a vegetarian is not for everybody but thanks to that hippie lifestyle I am super skinny... that might be because I am 5'11 but I love the lifestyle lol If you want more information you can just go to my profile and add me as your friend if you want. Also I am half Jamaican so I thrive on rice and red beans I looooooove that, also I used to devour goat and cabbage, as a Jamaican you have to incorporate delicious vegetables in your food, look some up! The world is yours whether you’re a vegetarian or carnivore lol
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Two things that really work for me (although I confess I LOVE veggies anyway!:embarassed: ): veggie fajitas: red peppers, onions, mushrooms, olive oil, vinegar & fajita spices, a bit of refried beans, home-made guacamole, salsa & organic sour cream. Wrap up in a tortilla OR lettuce. Second one: mushrooms, onions, broccoli, baby corn, red peppers, carrots, all thinly sliced; place into a wok with chili oil or peanut oil, add some fish oil or soy sauce; toss over brown rice or quinoa. Good luck to you!!:smile:
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tend to rely on cooking vegetables using various savory cuisines. Particularly Indian recipes. Those sauces would make the hardest to eat vegetables good.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    sautee them in a no-stick pan with no oil, and then hit 'em with a stick blender until you've got a puree. You can use that puree as a spread or a dip, or thin it with water and make soup.

Try with onions, carrots, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushooms, celery. . . or combinations
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Well, I like vegetables, so they have never really been a problem for me. I generally steam them, or with some oil spray, I saute them. I like mushrooms, onions, zucchini. I like green beans, broccoli periodically. I also like carrots, onions and celery in my tuna fish chopped fine. I generally have them with every lunch and/or dinner.

Have a great evening, I hope this helps. You can add me, if you'd like.....
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    steam red peppers, carrots, celery and puree them to make a sauce base. add tomato and spices like oregano, thyme, basil, garlic, etc.
    just cook them to absolute death or the nutrients suffer.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies are fantastic when grilled or broiled. One of our family faves is to toss a bunch of brussels sprouts with a bit of olive oil, add salt and pepper, and broil them at around 400F with occasional turning until they turn a little brown on the outside.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I never liked veggies. I drink V8 Fusion for my servings of veg and fruits. Taste great and I get at least a portions in.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I remember Jerry Seinfeld's wife released a cookbook designed around hiding vegetables in everyday foods (designed mostly to get kids their recommended intake). Might be worth a look. I cant think of the name of it right now but a quick google search should be easy enough, and I'm sure there are a number of other books/resipes out there that use purees etc to incorporate veggies into meals in a covert way. Good luck!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Veggies can be run through the blender and incorporated into just about anything. I've put them in meatloaf (salmon loaf too), omelets, homemade breads, meat pies......start with small amounts, add herbs for further flavor disguising, and enjoy!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem then I started making green smoothies. Add whatever green veggies to fruit and the fruit covers the taste. I got to where I even had Kale and some of the stronger tasting greens in my smoothies. They were good and it made a great breakfast. You need a good blender for this the one I had did not hold up more than a month though.
  • 13Natty
    Options
    sautee them in a no-stick pan with no oil, and then hit 'em with a stick blender until you've got a puree. You can use that puree as a spread or a dip, or thin it with water and make soup.

Try with onions, carrots, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushooms, celery. . . or combinations

That's a good idea hold your nose and drink it lol. You could mix anything with it that you liked to hide the flavour then. Although I don't know why but when eat like that I don't find it filling, but would be great as a sauce for pasta.
  • fit145
    fit145 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saute green beans, zuchinni ,mushrooms, asparagus ect. in soya sauce or Bragg's.(natural soya protein no additives) with a little olive oil and garlic or onions. Bake any type of squash and then stuff with either a tomato meat sauce or brushetta and cheese if you like then broil or just use cooked spagetti squash in place of noodles (30 cals and tasty). For veggie sticks use hummus salsa or make a yogurt dip. With the salads broccoili slaw and matchstick carrots are easy to add and feta always makes the salad tasty.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I hated most vegetables until I started roasting them. It adds a whole different array of flavors. For example, I could never stomach broccoli until I had it roasted - toss dry broccoli in olive oil, bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes until most of the pieces have some brown on them, then toss them in more olive oil, lemon juice, and grated Parmesan. You can add pine nuts too.

Honestly roasting veggies makes them taste so much different, and so much better.