Hello I'm new here and suffer from low blood sugar...

Options
Hi there, I've just started using MFP and so far think it's awesome! I really want to get rid of the 10kgs or so that have sneaked up on me over the last few years. My biggest hurdle is the fact that I suffer from low blood sugar, so when I start feeling shaky and weak I grab carbs and sugar. If I ignore it, or don't eat frequently enough I get migraines.
I'd love to hear from anyone who also gets low blood sugar. Tips are greatly appreciated! :-)

Replies

• m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have hypoglycemia as well. The hypoglycemia in addition to hypothyroidism has caused me to struggle at losing weight, but I AM doing it. It just takes me longer. I've lost 31 pounds in 11 months, but I'm determined to keep going until I reach my goal. You're welcome to add me as a friend if you like. I have quite a bit of info I could share if you're interested.
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nuts and fruit. That's what works for me.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I always make sure to get a combo of carbs and protein/fat and I eat something every few hours (yes, even in the evening). I also make sure I have healthy snacks around all the time. I will have an apple and some peanut butter or low fat cheese when I start to feel shaky. I have had it under control for a few years now, just by planning ahead a little.
  • janeyloveslife
    janeyloveslife Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. Great to know I'm not alone, and I look forward to losing weight the healthy way and keeping it off!
  • mburrows72
    mburrows72 Posts: 1
    Options
    I get this.. and most of the time I'm not even hungry.. I take glucose tablets 2 or 3 of them and I am back to normal again. or because mine always drops around 10am every day.. i take a few before i go to work and I am fine until i can eat lunch at work.