I just can't get started.

Options
I'm trying so hard to drop this weight, but the one thing I need to do, I can't get motivated about. Exercise. When I got out of the Army in 1993 I weighed in at a whopping 143 lbs. Now 15 years and 3 kids later I weighed in at 231lbs. I used to run just for the sake of running. I used to have the flat stomach. Now, I can't even drag my butt out of bed in the mornings. Anybody else have this much trouble getting started? I've managed to drop 5lbs in the last 2 weeks just by changing my diet. Blaaaah.

Replies

• TheMeatman
    Options
    I'm trying so hard to drop this weight, but the one thing I need to do, I can't get motivated about. Exercise. When I got out of the Army in 1993 I weighed in at a whopping 143 lbs. Now 15 years and 3 kids later I weighed in at 231lbs. I used to run just for the sake of running. I used to have the flat stomach. Now, I can't even drag my butt out of bed in the mornings. Anybody else have this much trouble getting started? I've managed to drop 5lbs in the last 2 weeks just by changing my diet. Blaaaah.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    some days are harder than others. I try to get to the gym right when it opens, almost before my eyes are open, before i have a chance to talk myself out of it...

maybe you could find someone local who could come kick in your door to get you out?

good luck in a solution.
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    I would recommend getting a workout buddy. I am currently in the military and I find that the people are the most important part of the PT (physical training program). The more of us there are the harder we work out.

If they are scary and angry and a gym rat...that will also help. :smile:

Good luck!
  • completeplan
    completeplan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You could go and buy pedometer. You should work towards walking 10 000 steps / day. It motivated me when I saw the steps add up, and at first I was just horrified how little I was walking. I managed to first stay on my feet and now I actually go for a walk to get more points for myself in the pedometer. I have the kind that counts calories burnt and has a timer also. Try it. Now I am focusing to the pedometer instead of dragging my but off the sofa.:laugh:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would say...start slowly. Just a walk or maybe some crunches. After a few days of "stress free" exercise you will probably find that you *want* to add to your routine. Build up, don't wear yourself down at the starting line.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that worked for me is that I started getting up early and walked for 45 minutes every day before I did anything else. After about a month, I was already used to doing something every morning and then I added weights to my routine. I hate the gym, haven't set foot in it and don't plan to. It doesn't help that I live in a small town and the only gym in the area is 20 minutes away. By the time I get there, I have lost my motiviation! :ohwell:

Once I get that work out out of the way, I am free to do whatever else I have to do and not think about it. If I wait to work out until the afternoon, I will never do it!:yawn:
  • TheMeatman
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggestions.
  • William77
    William77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started jogging, well walking and jogging. I started with 3 miles and I timed myself at 1.5 and 3 miles. Evedry time I go I try to beat my time even if it is by 1 second. This gives me an easy goal to accomplish and I know I am improving. It hasn't taken long and I can run tho whole way. I also started letting my son ride his bike with me so he is like my workout buddy. He always asks can we go tonight or is it gonna be nice tomorrow so we can go after school.
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Getting through those first 2 weeks of exercise is really difficult. I won't lie. You will feel tired, your muscles will probably hurt and you'll wonder why you even bother.

HOWEVER

If you get through those first 2 weeks, you'll be amazed by the changes you see in your body. Your endurance level will increase, your body will adjust. You may not see it on the outside yet, but you will feel it on the inside.

That being said, I highly recommend finding an exercise program you enjoy. You mentioned being in the military--are there any other ex-military members near you who want to work out? What about a gym--if you're a member, there may be "boot camp" or "drill" style classes you can take that you would be more familiar with the moves. If boredom is a problem, head to your local library and check out some old fitness dvds. . . seriously, some of the ones from the 1980s are HILARIOUS and you will want to do the workout just to make fun of the clothes, hair, expressions, etc.

Walking, as others recommended, is an easy way to start; however, I think as an ex-military member you may be looking for something more challenging? Interval training wtih walking is a good way to do it!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started very slow you may find that an easy approach ...start walking 30minutes then increase every other day..eventually you will get motivated and have the energy to really Bring It!